Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the manual states that the oil capacity is 7 quarts. I’ve found that after putting that amount in, the reading is somewhere towards the middle of the safe range, which would put the full capacity (according to the dipstick) at 7.5.

The other day I swapped the filter out for a new one (issue with the Pure1 I had on) and dumped a full quart of fresh oil in. The reading is now just under the full line, which means I am at about 7.3 quarts. What has everyone experienced in terms of the capacity? Do the 7 quarts put you at the full line? Should I drain the excess out to bring it back down to where 7 quarts are supposed to be on my dipstick?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an 06 and I put 7.5-7.75 quarts in mine and have not had any problems. I thin that the manual doesn't take into account the the filter holds oil.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Middle of safe range = full

You're not supposed to fill it to the tip-top of the safe range, then you're on the border of being over-filled which is just as bad as under-filled.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i think im going to let it be. i checked the level again today and its an eighth of an inch below the top line, which is still within the safe range, so it should be ok.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Plus, if you go to middle of safe range (7Q) you save about 7 dollars using full synthetic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts