Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the install on the 4" Superlift. this is definatly the way to go can't imagine going any lower.
It took about a day and a half. I told the wife see I do need all those tools. I had em all out for this, plasma cutter for the cross member mod. Mig welder to do the patch. and the acetylene torch for the exhaust mod. And the strut compressor. Wow I got tools all over the place but it is on. It will take half a day to put the garage back together.
The 99 Grand Cherokee lift I did was nothing compared to this one.
Will get some pics out in the sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Lookin' good! Time to get 'er muddy!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing will definitely get muddy and used. We are 20 mi north of Lake City Co. 9200' , 8 miles to the pavement no concrete driveway here. The winters are brutal . The mud season was horrible this spring just to get home. You need a good 4x4 up here. But in the summer you can bring in a car. we can't wait to take it over some of the passes as in Engineer, Cinnamon, and I want to take it down Black Bear Pass. Been down it in the JK we got rid of. This XK will be a hoot 4xin in style.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lift half on

Forgot I took a picture with just the front of the 4" lift on and the rear in stock mode with the mall shopping tires on. A good comparison.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I can see where that lifted XK will come in handy. You are in the middle of some beautiful country. The rig is looking great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was definatly worth it. And it performs great off road too. It gets the looks out on the street also. Check out the pics on the Cinnamon and Engineer Passes Post. Hoping to get out again on some new passes this weekend.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So, how are you liking the SL? Give us some feedback!

I also have the SL. I have found that when I am at highway speeds (>60mph), there is a low-toned sound coming from the back. Matt seems to think that since the pinion angle has changed, it's coming from that. I have ordered some adjustable upper control arms to help with this.

You may have 8 miles to pavement, but you must get down there sometime! ;) Have you experienced anything similar? Any other additional issues?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the super lift is doing great! We picked up some friends last night for dinner and they couldn't believe how nice it rode.
Had it up to about 80 a while back and did fine. Have not noticed any noise from the rear.
I talked to a friend who had a XK with a 2" lift he thought it had too much body roll at speeds on these curvy mountain roads. Mine does not have that even with the 4" lift as the higher spring rate in the rear and front pre load on the strut seems to help this.
I towed my 8'x16' snowmobile trailer last week to give it a test and hauled about 40 -4" x 16' pine poles for a fence and it did rear good and without any torsion bars. I usually use the Dodge Diesel for hauling but the Jeep did good. Still plenty of power with the Hemi.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm glad to hear you haven't had any problems. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your rear pinion angle? I was getting a lot of noise from the rear but replace the rear upper control arms to adjust the angle. The noise has now gone away. I'd like to compare with your setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a few pics of the pinion angle on mine. Yours being a earlier model than mine? I know there is some differences from the 06-07 commanders to the 08-10 models in the Superlift kit and the Zone lift only does the early models. Maybe they have done something to correct this on the newer models? I have tried to find out what they changed in those model years but have not maybe someone on the forum knows the differences in the running gear from early to late years.
What did you get for upper control arms?

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, I hate to say it, but that's what my bad angle looked like, too. See below.

I was getting a ton of noise from the back, but my Jeep is a bit older and has 130k miles on it. Your u-joints and pinion bearings haven't had as much wear-and-tear as mine. Also, my noise came on at speeds over 60mph. I am also running A/T tires that are not noising to begin with (and they're new).

Here are some pics of the new adjustable upper control arms that replaced the originals:

...and the corrected pinion angle:

No more noises!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Just wondering if those rear upper control arms come in the 4" superlift kit or are they something you got from another company?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They don't come with the Superlift kit. They had to be purchased separately to fix the bad pinion angle of the Superlift.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You have to call rustys offroad and custom order them. You need 17.75" eye to eye inatalled

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
You have to call rustys offroad and custom order them. You need 17.75" eye to eye inatalled
Thanks Oleblue27, do I just tell them 17.75 eye to eye installed for 06 commander or do they require more info than that? If that sounds like a dumb question I have zero experience lifting a vehicle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tell them to look up the order places by me. Kyle Runyon. Then tell then you need em 1" shorter than mine. I don't know the length of them fully threaded in but I know they should be around 17.75-18" installed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Those pictures are mine and I sent them to rustys after the install.

Since every vehicle is different you'll want the arms 16.5" fully threaded in. This will ensure you have enough range for your specific vehicle.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Thanks guys for all your help, I emailed rusty's an was told the following:

They are in the process of making a new line of xk/wk1 category online, but as of right now these arms are all available upon request via email/phone.

ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM w/HEIM JOINTS
RC-CA412-XK-WK

ADJUSTABLE REAR UPPER CONTROL ARM w/HEIM JOINTS
RC-CA422-XK-WK

ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM w/POLYURETHANE
RC-CA212-XK-WK

ADJUSTABLE REAR UPPER CONTROL ARM w/POLYURETHANE
RC-CA222-XK-WK

I'm not sure if this info is old news or not, but I thought I would share it to hopefully help others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts