Jeep Commander Forum banner

Which month works best for Midwest Camp Commander 2011?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is on the horizon and other regions are beginning to plan a trail meet, let's not be left out and plan a Midwest Camp Commander. We have limited options in the Midwest and the two I can think of off the top of my head are the Badlands in Attica, Indiana and the Cliffs Insane Terrain in Marseilles, Illinois. I personally vote for the Badlands, I've been there twice and this place doesn't disappoint and has a camp ground. From what I've seen and read the Cliffs is more for advanced modded ORVs. If someone else has a suggestion let us know otherwise lets start with a date. For those who are interested in attending please select a month that would work best for a 2 day trip. Once we narrow down a month thenw we'll pick a weekend then a place.

Last year was a blast, check out the pics and vids here: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13681&highlight=badlands . Hope we can get a better turn out this year.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'll get back to you. Definitely interested though.

The Cilffs isn't all bad. I was there with the XK with only a 2" lift on stock tires. I stayed on the main trail and there was more than enough for me. I say this in case anyone wants to have a quick getaway some Sat.

I was just there 2 weeks ago with the local club we started, www.qcjeepers.com, and the trails were quite a bit wider then I remember.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I am interested but can't say what time is best for me. I'll let others vote on the month and will try to join the group.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jer, you know, maybe I will change my vote. I wouldn't mind checking out the Cliffs. Would you say they have just about the same amount of trails for our XKs with a 2" lift?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I'd be in at either place, schedule permitting.

·
Registered
696 Posts
what happened to my comment on this thread? did it not post or get deleted?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
what happened to my comment on this thread? did it not post or get deleted?
Sometimes I write a post and get a senior momemt and hit the back button instead of the SUBMIT REPLY button. Ooops. Not necessarily your case but it could happen.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I know I posted on West Coast. lol. Cause I am stationed on the West Coast but I commented here because I am from the Midwest. I mentioned going to Nicolet National Forest in Northern Wisconsin but it is kinda far for the Illinois/ Indiana guys. I also have never been there so cant help with trail info. Just heard a lot about it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hey Jer, you know, maybe I will change my vote. I wouldn't mind checking out the Cliffs. Would you say they have just about the same amount of trails for our XKs with a 2" lift?
Um not really. Trail 1 runs the perimeter of the park and provides plenty of obstacles/bypasses and there is one trail that follows the creek that is OK.

The big differences are the Cliffs has NO sand dunes and not a whole lot of wide open spaces. It's mostly mud, hills, and trees. While the trails have opened up you will most likely get scratches.

Remember how the Badlands was when we went into their tree area? That's pretty much the Cliffs.

There are a couple areas that are open and they have a tractor tire pile to play on. When I went with the Commander there was plenty for me to do and it was a blast watching the "big boys".

All in all there is definitely a days worth of stuff to do.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Um not really. Trail 1 runs the perimeter of the park and provides plenty of obstacles/bypasses and there is one trail that follows the creek that is OK.

The big differences are the Cliffs has NO sand dunes and not a whole lot of wide open spaces. It's mostly mud, hills, and trees. While the trails have opened up you will most likely get scratches.

Remember how the Badlands was when we went into their tree area? That's pretty much the Cliffs.

There are a couple areas that are open and they have a tractor tire pile to play on. When I went with the Commander there was plenty for me to do and it was a blast watching the "big boys".

All in all there is definitely a days worth of stuff to do.
Do you have a map, or location, so I know how far it is for me? Am I going to be in trouble without a lift! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I vote the Badlands just cause I have been there on quads, and there is EVERYTHING to do there. Camping, dunes, swamps, trails, hillclimbs....

June & July might not work for me, I have a 10 week INTENSE couple of last college courses to finish 'fore I grad-ee-ate!! WOOHOO!! Anyways May would be awesome, but weather can still be lame, August would be fun too! I personally just don't want to get in too deep or tight, I just bought this thing and would prefer no dents or major scratches! You can call me an easy-offroader! Come on, it's my daily driver!

Thinking about the Badlands sometimes makes me regret trading my quad for a boat, but that boat is sure damn fun!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump!

We still have some time but want to give others the opportunity to vote for the best month for a trail run. Once we narrow it down to a month we'll figure out a weekend then pick between the Badlands or the Cliffs.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm in for something. Definitely LOVE badlands. I would highly recommend anyone who hasn't been there to make an effort to do it. The place is huge and you can spend a whole day there completely stock without a problem. I would like to try the cliffs for a change of pace at some point too, even if just for a short day trip. I'm not going to vote right now because I'm not sure what my schedules going to be like and I might be working a new job this summer but I'd like to get out a few times at least. Badlands is a must and I'm sure I can find time to get to some other places.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I too, would like to go. I won't vote for a time but I would like to join you all if I can. I will probably be tied up through July next summer but who knows. Put something together and I'll try to make it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll put my vote in for the badlands in the summer at some point. My friend would also be more than willing to come with his JK.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, how about we plan two trail runs- one in June and the other in August? Depending on the amount of RSVPs for either one we can call it a Camp Commander weekend and request the flag.

Also- would anybody be interested in this? http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/trip-detail.cfm?TripID=15. It's a bit pricey but I think it might be worth it or we can plan our own trip there on another day if you guys don't mind the drive.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts