Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Some of this is a cut and paste from an earlier posting, but I thought it was important to provide some background.
I have just came into a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited that the engine is dead.
My uncle bought it at an auction, trailered it home and had his people look at it.
They were able to get its 5.7 HEMI started and but ran very poorly.
His one mechanic pulled the engine and tore it down.
He discovered that both heads were cracked, four valve seats fell out.
I am assuming they caused the valve to fail and junk fell into four different cylinders.
Three of the four cylinders, the scratches on the cylinder walls could be honed out.
However, the last cylinder that was hurt, that hole will need to be sleeved to bring back to a bore as the same size as the other 8, or all eight cylinders will need to bored .030 over.

On Craigslist, I found a 2013 5.7 HEMI, transmission and transfercase from a wrecked Dodge Ram local to me.
The drivetrain has 40K miles and the owner wants $2500 firm.
I searched, but was not successful in finding the answer to my question is, how much pain does one need to endure to install this later model HEMI in a 2006 Jeep XK Limited?
I know the ECU will need some sort of flash.
What about the wiring?
If I could find a reman '06-'08 HEMI delivered for $2500 or one with a few hours driving time, I would go that route and avoider the pain.
I would not consider a take HEMI from this timeframe given all the issues I have heard and read about.
This '13 HEMI seems to be a great deal, but getting to work in my XK seems to be challenge to overcome.
Your advice, suggestions, opinions, comments and flames are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you bought the new kit make sure you give a call to the guys at mopar performance (the actual mopar folks from chrysler).
Explain what you want to do and purchase a custom set of controllers for your car. you will need to convert the shift handle to a dial controller, this has been done in a few cars already.
It will cost less than $2000 for all the add on stuff that Mopar will custom program for your application.

This has been done, so you are not treading new ground on this. I know of one 70's era super bee that is rocking 2014 engine and trans and all the current dash stuff from a durango.

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you bought the new kit make sure you give a call to the guys at mopar performance (the actual mopar folks from chrysler).
Explain what you want to do and purchase a custom set of controllers for your car. you will need to convert the shift handle to a dial controller, this has been done in a few cars already.
It will cost less than $2000 for all the add on stuff that Mopar will custom program for your application.

This has been done, so you are not treading new ground on this. I know of one 70's era super bee that is rocking 2014 engine and trans and all the current dash stuff from a durango.

Dave
I would like to know what that $2000 gets you from Mopar besides a wiring harness, ECU, etc...?
Thx, Jerry
PS-Hope I don't need for awhile?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hello!
Some of this is a cut and paste from an earlier posting, but I thought it was important to provide some background.
I have just came into a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited that the engine is dead.
My uncle bought it at an auction, trailered it home and had his people look at it.
They were able to get its 5.7 HEMI started and but ran very poorly.
His one mechanic pulled the engine and tore it down.
He discovered that both heads were cracked, four valve seats fell out.
I am assuming they caused the valve to fail and junk fell into four different cylinders.
Three of the four cylinders, the scratches on the cylinder walls could be honed out.
However, the last cylinder that was hurt, that hole will need to be sleeved to bring back to a bore as the same size as the other 8, or all eight cylinders will need to bored .030 over.

On Craigslist, I found a 2013 5.7 HEMI, transmission and transfercase from a wrecked Dodge Ram local to me.
The drivetrain has 40K miles and the owner wants $2500 firm.
I searched, but was not successful in finding the answer to my question is, how much pain does one need to endure to install this later model HEMI in a 2006 Jeep XK Limited?
I know the ECU will need some sort of flash.
What about the wiring?
If I could find a reman '06-'08 HEMI delivered for $2500 or one with a few hours driving time, I would go that route and avoider the pain.
I would not consider a take HEMI from this timeframe given all the issues I have heard and read about.
This '13 HEMI seems to be a great deal, but getting to work in my XK seems to be challenge to overcome.
Your advice, suggestions, opinions, comments and flames are greatly appreciated.
Well, I don't know about the transmission, but the engine itself should be fairly easy. You would need either an 09 or 10 Commander ECU, since those were the years when VVT became a thing in Hemis (Flashing the current ECU won't work from what I understand). You could possibly get the ECU flashed for the transmission too, since the TCU is built into the ECU, but don't quote me on that. Then I believe an engine wiring harness from the 09 or 10 commanders might work for the same reason as having the matching year ECU. Either way, the new ECU needs to get tuned for the new engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Transmission and transfer case are almost definitely different. Transmission may be a 68rfe and you likely have a 545rfe. Your transfer case is only used in Jeep XK/WK as far as I know...... but you only need the engine. I would call Diablo, they make tuners and custom programs and could likely point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Consider selling the dodge trans and transfer case to get some $$$ and just worry about engine imho. That Jeep Limited may have a QD2 and not sure how/if the ELSD will work fine or give u problems. Just something to think about before someone else on here w much more experience than I can verify ur best option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts