Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took my Commander from the 20k service, I gave them a list of 7 problems when I submitted it!!! after this service I started to get little worried about the quality of the Commander and what will happen after the warranty ends in 15k miles from now!! What you guys think about this?

Here is the list, and the action done for each point in blue and comment in red

------
1- Clunk sound and rattling in the steering wheel and shafts while driving on sharp and small pumps and turning to the right by around 90 degrees
They said the steering rack and pinion need to be changed but they don't have it on the shelf, so they placed the order from abroad and will replaced once they receive it)
(I noticed this sine it was new !! is it manufacturing defect?!)

2- Roughness during acceleration
(they changed the front axle isolator mount and the front stabilizer bar bushings, it solved the problem)
(Isn't it too soon for the isolator and bushings to get damaged?!!)

3- Both side mirrors are shaking over 120 kph
(they said the left one needs to be replaced and under order as well)
(the right-hand side was changed too at 10k service, and also started to shake as well!!,,,, will I keep changing it every now and then !!)

4- Audio unit bezel popped off
(they will change the bezel and its under the order as well)

5- C/T button on the dash does not work correctly, get stuck inside.
(they will change the button and its under the order as well)
(its the one which is mostly used ,, but its too early to break after 9 months!!)

6- Rear windows are not functioning correctly, some times stops and don’t move. Left rear window stuck (does not move totally)
(they changed both rear window regulators, its working fine now)
(this is a common problem I know, but I hope it will solve it for long time, otherwise it will be costly to change it)

7- Button on park brake lever popped out.
(they will change the lever and its under the order as well)
(too early too !!)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Sounds as if you have had a fair amount of needed repair but the dealer also sounds like they take good care of you. That is what a warranty period is for and more than likely you will have many good years of ownership to come.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Sounds like your dealer is taking good care of you. Do you have an extended warranty? If not, I would recommend you get one.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hi Ahmed,
I suppose on the surface, your list seems extensive.
I think that since the rack was clunking from new, you really can't call it a mileage related concern. I am surprised you didn't have that addressed long ago.
Stabilizer bushings do deterierate with extreme flexing, and you have sent videos of you flexing the front end. Because the isolator mount was replaced at the same time it would be impossible to determine what the real cause of failure was.
Mirror shaking is annoying. More power mirrors do this than dont. And I don't just mean Jeep.
Audio bezel wont hold is just poor plastic casting and would not be mileage related.
D.I.S. button hangs up would be a bad switch, made incorrectly, and again, not mileage related.
Rear window regulator concern leads me to believe an updated part has been installed and again, not mileage related.
And finally, the park brake release knob was again, likely a faulty casting and not related to mileage.
So, is it too soon for some of these failures?
I actually would have to say yes.
Some have occured too soon, but if the bean counters would not tamper with the original design, likely none of these would occur.
Unfortunatly, the " make it cheaper " mentality sometimes results in premature failure, and Jeep is not the only subscriber to this mentality.
So, since we all know weird failures occur, regardless of brand, I think a manufacturer based extended warranty would be a good idea.

My $.02
.........Rob

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not only these which made me to start to worry ... there were other issues as well ,, as I have never submitted my Commander for a regular service without a "list" of issued !!
  1. Front brake rotors were replaced at the first 3k service due to rough braking !
  2. Front headlight assembly was replaced at 3k service as well due to interior foggy
  3. Front left strut was replaced in 8k as it started to leak oil !
  4. and the A/C whistling sound when A/C in circulation mode fixed by some sealing !!

What I'm trying to say, that it does seem abnormal for such a new car !! I had a 11 years old 1996 Crown Victoria prior to the Commander used for three years and didn't get as much failure as the Commander !!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I guess you should just be happy that you're still within the warranty period/mileage. Get it all fixed now, because you're on your own when the warranty is over! Hopefully the problems don't reappear in the future.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well Ahmed,
I don't think comparing a rear wheel drive car to a 4x4 truck has much validity.
I think I'm reasonably safe in assuming you were not using the Crown Vic for off road adventures.
From the complexity standpoint, and the fact that Ford has pounded those things out long enouph to address the weak points, your actual component failures have been minimal. Aggravating, but minimal none the less.
I'm sure you would agree that some of the failures members have reported would lead one to believe you should sell it before it happens to you.
Gosh, the growing pains a unusually large number of 06 owners has experienced is somewhat daunting.
By 07, it seems most weak areas were addressed and we are reading about very few problems with 08's
All in all though, from the complexity standpoint, these are remarkably trouble free vehicles, and I don't think I've seen anything to make me lose faith in the product.
So, I really don't think theres any concern relative to longetivity here.
Another $.02 into the opinion bucket,
...........Rob

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I had a 11 years old 1996 Crown Victoria prior to the Commander used for three years and didn't get as much failure as the Commander !!
We use the Crown Victoria for police cars over here, they have been well tested and used, you really cannot compare a car that has been around for that long and had all the bugs worked out to a new Jeep model.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ahmed - I am with you and think you should be concerned...I sure as heck am. I have had several of the same issues and suspension troubles starting at 3000 miles and they continue. I sure as heck am not too confident when it hits 30,000 40,000 50,000 miles as to what condition this thing will be in. I guess others are sadly right here that if you plan on keeping it and do not want to spend a lot of money on it then go with the extended warranty. I only say this due to my problems continuing even after all of their many so called repairs and fixes. Its a heck of a note that even my dealer tells me I should get the extended warranty. Thats a real testament to Chrysler, their quality control, and especially them standing behind their product. I can only guess their mentality is we will take care of all the issues you have been having (even though we cannot under the original warranty) as long as you pay us for the extended warranty. Never mind the fact you already paid us for the vehicle. Just my 2 hard earned 2 cents from Chrysler. I have already read where some are having to have the same parts replaced over again and they are major components so I am sure the cost would be pretty darn high if not under warranty. I think I will have little choice other than the extended warranty as well.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Ahmed, I'm taking mine back tomorrow for the noise in the steering gear again, they might have to order another rack for it. My service advisor and I were talking and he feels that a lot of the quality issues are due to the failed merger with MB and the current Cerberus management team, more worried about maximizing products than quality. I made the comment that shouldn't buy another Chrysler product and he said "yes". He's gone through three steering racks on his Ram and finally gave up trying to get it fixed correctly.

Having come from Toyota, Ford and GM vehicles in the past I'm also worrying about the long-term quality of the XK. I did buy the Chrysler MaxCare extended warranty, but I don't' think that a vehicle with 35k miles should be having steering rack issues and rattles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
rwmorrisonjr - Keep us posted. I had my rack replaced along with many other front suspension parts and it seems the new rack (or bushings, or control arm, or endlinks, or steering box, or...God knows what) are shot again. I mentioned in a prior post or 2 that I am waiting to meet with an area rep so maybe they can get to work and fix this thing right for a change. I have the funny feeling it will never be right and only in need of constant service and parts for the front suspension. It is only a dream of mine that the area rep will even give a rats rear about my problems to begin with. The dealer sure as sheit does not. I will leave them nameless CARY AUTOPARK...CARY AUTOPARK...CARY AUTOPARK...Thanks

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
During my trip in the mountains, I noticed oil under the left front corner.. and after looking around I found the left front shock is leaking oil !! ,,, this is the second time the same shock fails within 25K miles !!!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm taking mine back tomorrow for the noise in the steering gear again, they might have to order another rack for it. My service advisor and I were talking and he feels that a lot of the quality issues are due to the failed merger with MB and the current Cerberus management team, more worried about maximizing products than quality. I made the comment that shouldn't buy another Chrysler product and he said "yes". He's gone through three steering racks on his Ram and finally gave up trying to get it fixed correctly.

Is this sound the clunk clunk that you get when the vehicle is sitting ignition off, and you move the steering wheel back and forth? I'm asking because that sound drives me nuts, but the dealer in frustration (back in 06) let me go to any Grand CHerokee or Commander and check to see if it did this and after tesing 4-5 vehicles came back a bit embarassed. It hasnt gotten any worse, but I still hate this sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts