Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this size tire will fit in the spare tire area with the trailer hitch?

Think of going to this size tire.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I believe it it too tall of a tire, but I do not know for sure.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
On my stock tire with the hitch, the tire is rubbing up against the screws on the hitch. The tire size that you're asking about is 1" taller than stock which means you gain 1/2" of tire all around. I would think that it would be too big. If you have those size tires already on your XK, just take one off and see if it'll fit up in there.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If 245/70/17 is not going to fit in the spare tire location, so where you guys with bigger tires put the spare tire then?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Ahmed said:
If 245/70/17 is not going to fit in the spare tire location, so where you guys with bigger tires put the spare tire then?
I still have the stock spare tire. Others have the stock spare tire also while others put it on a roof rack.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I still have the stock spare tire. Others have the stock spare tire also while others put it on a roof rack.
I think its not ok to drive the vehicle with different tire sizes, the commander might detects it as slippage maybe and activates the ESP and traction control !

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Ahmed said:
I purchased the roof rack tire mount but will put it on the rear bumper when one becomes available (I like what phunkeydude did and hope GetLost4X4 will be similar).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 265/70/17 GY silent armour tires (4+spare). The spare tire won't fit right now. But i'm going to cut about an inch off the reciever hitch and then it shouldn't be a problem.

quote: (I think its not ok to drive the vehicle with different tire sizes, the commander might detects it as slippage maybe and activates the ESP and traction control !)

The bigger tires are not a problem. no ESP or traction problems. the only thing is your speedometer being off.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Old McDonald said:
I have 265/70/17 GY silent armour tires (4+spare). The spare tire won't fit right now. But i'm going to cut about an inch off the reciever hitch and then it shouldn't be a problem.

quote: (I think its not ok to drive the vehicle with different tire sizes, the commander might detects it as slippage maybe and activates the ESP and traction control !)

The bigger tires are not a problem. no ESP or traction problems. the only thing is your speedometer being off.
I believe Ahmed was talking about having a stock spare and running taller sized tires. His scenario is if you have a flat and have to run 1 stock with 3 taller tires.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I believe Ahmed was talking about having a stock spare and running taller sized tires. His scenario is if you have a flat and have to run 1 stock with 3 taller tires.
Exactly :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts