Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade to Michelin AT LTX AT2 245/70 17 with no spacers or lift at this time

I see a couple of members are running the GY SA 245/70 17 without any lift or spacers and have stated they are not getting any rubbing, but has anybody with that setup done any off roading and still can come to that same conclusion...no rubbing?

Also, if I lifted my Commander later with a 2 inch Rusty lift kit do you think the 245/70 17 tires would look out of proportion (to small) with a lift?

P.S. I wanted to go to 245/75 17 Michelin's but I just don't think they will fit like the 245/75 17 BF Goodrich due to the tire shape.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Well, it would be nice to lift first then get tires. I think there is a used Rusty's lift for sale on the forum. The 245/75/17 would be a great tire with the 2 inch lift. I'm not sure whether you would need wheel spacers with these.

But if you must buy tires w/o lift I would go with the 245/70/17 (these are 1 inch larger diameter than stock).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am also wondering if the 245 70 would look to small. ShredX had the bfg mt 245 70 which looked fine but not sure what a dueler or silent armor would look like with a lift.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I believe that everyone has their own opinion on this. When I first lifted the Commander and had stock tires I thought it looked fine. There was definately a lot more space between the tires and fenders but it wasnt that bad. Now that I put the larger tires on I think it looks 100% better then when it had the stock tires on. I am currently running 255/70R17's which are only like a 1/2 inch taller and 1/4 wider then the 245/70R17's. So I think that they would look fine. Like me, you wouldnt have to worry about any rubbing or trimming of your fenders. Also if in the future you decided to take the lift off the tires will still fit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I want to upgrade to Michelin AT LTX AT2 245/70 17 with no spacers or lift at this time
I see a couple of members are running the GY SA 245/70 17 without any lift or spacers and have stated they are not getting any rubbing, but has anybody with that setup done any off roading and still can come to that same conclusion...no rubbing?

Yes:)

Also, if I lifted my Commander later with a 2 inch Rusty lift kit do you think the 245/70 17 tires would look out of proportion (to small) with a lift?

No:)

That is the size I ran before and after my lift, and I will put it offroad.:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is a RR 2.?" lift with 245/70-17 and 1.5" wheel spacers:

I think it looks just right:)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
:stickpoke::eek:rangehat:Nice rides TYMAC and Brendon. I want to put a 2 or 3 inch lift on my Commander. I have seen photos ofCommanders with lifts and stock tires and wheels and I think they look great. I Just bought stock 17" Cooper Discoverer ATR's. I One thing I have to ask is with a 2-3" lift how much modifying do you have to do to other components such as suspension or steering? I know the higher the lift the more you have to change to compensate for the lift.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
One thing I have to ask is with a 2-3" lift how much modifying do you have to do to other components such as suspension or steering? I know the higher the lift the more you have to change to compensate for the lift.
If you purchase one of the many 2-3" lifts for the Commander you will not need to make any changes to the suspension or steering other than to consider longer shocks on the rear.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
:eek:rangehat:Thank you very much 49ERFAN. I appreciate your help. By the way your XK looks great also.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
:eek:rangehat:Thank you very much 49ERFAN. I appreciate your help. By the way your XK looks great also.
Thank you, looking forward to seeing your XK grow up too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts