Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen my tire choosing thread. Well, I went to some tire shops and checked out different tires in person and ended up going with a tire that wasn't in my running, but leans toward street-ability with very good overall specs. The Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 in P245/75/17. P-metric makes for an extra smooth ride and lighter weight, and this is one of the quieter reported all terrains, and I think it's still great looking.

My Overland is 100% stock, no lift, no wheel spacers, and I'm happy to report that, while I can barely fit a paper between the splash guard and the tire at full lock, I have zero rubbing. On to the pictures!

Before:

After:

I hear a lift beckoning, but I'm happy to get the tires on sooner rather than later, and it already looks a ton more aggressive.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
They look great, I'm glad they fit without rubbing!
My Overland is 100% stock, no lift, no wheel spacers, and I'm happy to report that, while I can barely fit a paper between the splash guard and the tire at full lock, I have zero rubbing. On to the pictures!
BUT, I have to warn others, OTHER'S RESULTS MAY VARY!

If there is only the thickness of a piece of paper between the tire and rubbing, well, the typical variances in just the build of the vehicle can exceed that, NOT to mention more variance from wear and minor damage on a typical vehicle, increasing that.

So the same tires on another Commander may rub, but likely only minor rubbing at worse.

Also keep in mind, tire sizes are in standard increments, actual tire designs vary a bit from those standard sizes and they round the dimensions to closest tire size. So another tire of the same size that is a different brand or model will have slightly different dimensions and could rub if the clearance is so small.

Also remember, the width on the tire size is the width of the tire at its widest point, NOT the tread (or outside edge of the tire). The widest point is typically somewhere down the tire sidewall, and the actual width of the tire when mounted and inflated will change with the width of the rim that is mounted on. Two tires with the same listed width could have tread widths that are signficantly different, thus one would NOT rub, while the other could rub horribely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUT, I have to warn others, OTHER'S RESULTS MAY VARY!
. . .
All good info.

This particular tread design tapers off more than some, much like KO's that a lot of people have success with, which most definitely helps with the rubbing issue. I doubt something like a duratrac with the side lugs would fit without rubbing.

One thing that is worth noting though, is that, while I am as close as a millimeter or less to rubbing at full lock, I can push the splash guard another half inch or more back with minimal effort, so there is some extra clearance to be gained without actually modifying anything if you added a fastener of some sort to the splash guard to the body.

In either case, like you said, rubbing should be minimal, and nothing that should cause any real damage to any involved components.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it turns out, it was way to dark to comment on how close I was to rubbing. In the daylight, I see that it's really not even that close. There is about 3/4" gap between the tire and the splash guard at full lock. See the picture:

I also thought I'd post a picture of the upper ball joint stud clearance for reference.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Overland optioned Commander also has slightly taller/stiffer springs, and thus a bit more ride height IIRC.
I know this was the case for the Overland WJ, but I don't believe it holds true for the WK/XK.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this was the case for the Overland WJ, but I don't believe it holds true for the WK/XK.
What is your axle to fender measurement?
Almost exactly:
18" Front
20" Rear

Interesting side note, right now three of my "Jeep" center caps on my wheels are perfectly level and right side up, and the fourth is perfectly level but upside down.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Almost exactly:
18" Front
20" Rear

Interesting side note, right now three of my "Jeep" center caps on my wheels are perfectly level and right side up, and the fourth is perfectly level but upside down.
Hrm, I'm @ 18.5/19.5. I have a v6 up front and no tow package. Looks like your even lower than I am @ the front.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose the Hemi will do that. I was pretty surprised to find a full two inch difference in height front to back though. If I put the lift in the front only, I'd be dead level.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i know its been two full years since this discussion took off, but I am approaching 5 years on the manufacture date of my tires, and they're showing cracks in the worst way, not like pop star booty showing, but like.... wear, dry rot.
I found a great deal on KUMHO RV A/T51's and I have run KUMHOs my Range Rover County, and my Ram 1500 with zero gripes what-so-ever...
I'm wanting to push 245/75/R17 under my stock limited,06, its just going to leave me a little tight on cash to do the RC 2" at the same time.
Any recommendations? Did any problems arise wit your Oveland and the same size?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts