Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching all over the forum. Can someone tell me if I will have any rubbing issues with a 255/70/17 and the spidertrax spacers?

The sticky thread regarding the lifts/tires/spacers does not address this combination.

My stock Forteras finally wore out. I need to get some new tires before the winter season.
I have been wanting to lift this Jeep for a long time. I plan on going with the Rough Country 2" lift. I don't want to deal with trimming the wheel well.

Looking at putting on the either General AT Grabbers or the AT Revo in the 255/70/17 size.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
From what I have read you don't have any rubbing issues with that size tyre with standard rims. So you definitely won't have a problem with spacers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You do not need spacers with the 255 70 on the stock rims. I am running 255 70's but with a offset +25 on the rims I am running.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
The fit is so tight it really depends on the actual tire diameter- same size tires might actually be different in diameter i.e. mud tires vs A/t. My nittos didn't rub when I out them on but when I removed the spacers and replaced the wheels with properly backspaced set that should have been the same as stock with spacers, I had a terrible issue with rubbing.

Adjusting the wheel well is not hard. You will have to remove the rivets around the fender, two up inside the well and a push pin near the strut and then the plastic assembly comes out. Take a hammer or sledge and pound back the pinch weld. If you are installing the lift yourself that would be an good time to "adjust" the wheel well. if after you hammer back the pinch weld and the wheel still rubs then you might to snip off some of the plastic well.
The lines on the passenger side are the coolant lines going to the rear climate control.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The fit is so tight it really depends on the actual tire diameter- same size tires might actually be different in diameter i.e. mud tires vs A/t. My nittos didn't rub when I out them on but when I removed the spacers and replaced the wheels with properly backspaced set that should have been the same as stock with spacers, I had a terrible issue with rubbing.

Adjusting the wheel well is not hard. You will have to remove the rivets around the fender, two up inside the well and a push pin near the strut and then the plastic assembly comes out. Take a hammer or sledge and pound back the pinch weld. If you are installing the lift yourself that would be an good time to "adjust" the wheel well. if after you hammer back the pinch weld and the wheel still rubs then you might to snip off some of the plastic well.
The lines on the passenger side are the coolant lines going to the rear climate control.
You are running 265/70R17's. He asked if 255/70R17 would fit without rubbing.

I ran 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVO AT's both with and without spacers with absolutely no rubbing issues.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
BTW. I was running 1.25 inch spidertrax spacers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 07. I will go with the lift and the 255's. From there I will see if I need the spacers based on the look.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
is this picture with the 2" lift?

other lift/ tire combos i see like this it looks like there is alot more room in the wheel wels...yours look pretty tight
It looks like its just the angle that the picture was taken at.

·
Registered
936 Posts
hmm maybe...
im just confused because rough country recomends the 265/70r17 which equals roughly a 32" tire... that being said there are a ton of pictures of other members with the 2" lifts and 32" tires and they seem to have alot more space in their wheel wells than Robk has...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what photo you are referring to? I am still running stock suspension and the original tires. The Forteras need to be replaced. I got about 27k out of them.
Can't wait to get the lift on and the bigger tires. (the way it should come from the factory)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Not sure what photo you are referring to? I am still running stock suspension and the original tires. The Forteras need to be replaced. I got about 27k out of them.
Can't wait to get the lift on and the bigger tires. (the way it should come from the factory)
I think he was refering to the other member that posted his pictures on page 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts