Administrator
15,206 Posts
Hey, stranger !

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, stranger !
Hey! It has been a while since I have posted over here. I am considering picking up a new diesel Grand Cherokee Overland later this year or early next year.

If I do, I might hold on to the Commander and build it up a little to get a bit more clearance for off roading. I have done some moderate Arizona off roading with my XK, and I have to say thank goodness for skid plates.

I know a JK would be a better choice for off roading, but I don't want one someone else has already abused and I don't want any car payment.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, you need a kit 2", wheels spacers 1.25" or 1.5" and should also flatten
welds in the wheel tracks in the plastic
Hmmm, I was hoping to avoid the wheel spacers. Is it the bolt head that requires the use of spacers? Or is it because the edge of the tires would be hitting something at full lock?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's a bit of all these things and turning the front wheel rubs.
In the case of Rubicon wheels if they are, they touch the brake calipers without spacers !

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I've been running that exact tire with stock wheels, 2" lift and 1.5" spyder tractor wheel spacers and the pinch weld mod. I don't know what the clearance issue would be if I didn't have the wheel spacers. But research here at the time said I needed wheel spacers. You may be able to get by with 1.25" wheel spacers.

I think I have pics in my album on my profile page.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Wow....haven't seen Rubicon post for a long time! Next thing you know Crzcajun and Romeo will be posting...for those who do not know, rubicon was the moderator before a49erfootballfan.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is anyone here running Wrangler SilentArmor 255/75R17? If you have a 2" lift, is it possible to run these tires with stock rims and no spacers?
I ran a set of these tyres I bought cheap that came off a JK. They fitted perfectly. I have no spacers just stock alloy rims (wheels) and an Old Man Emu 2" lift with Bilstien shocks front and rear.
The only issues I had was at the rear when going off road and with the rear sway bars disconnected I found that when on maximum flex and I mean max . eg only two wheels on the track and the car rocking, the rear tyres started to just catch on the lower edge of the outer lower guards. tyre PSI 20lb. The fronts tyres also just touched the plastic inner guards on full lock. I could have used a heat gun to make a mod to the inner guard to stop the front rubbing.
But be warned these tyres are too big to fit into your spare wheel space under the rear. That was the down size so I went back to 245/75R/17 GY Wrangler Silent Armours

Also any wheel spacers will just make the front tyres rub more. Don't use spacers or you'll have issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts