Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to put the new tires 265/65/17 on the Commander and I asked to put one first to see how it fit with the upper ball joint bolt as the tire is a bit wider than other 265s due to the square shape of the tire ... after putting the tire I found that the edge of the tire is very close to the bolt and got a bit worried and delayed the purchase ! ,,

I managed to take the two pics below for the bolt and the tire ,,, The distance is something like 0.25" or less..

I don't have wheel spacers though !

Do you think this is ok? shall I got for it. I'm bit worried that the bolt might hit the tire in such extreme off-roading in sand such as side slopping !

(sorry for the bad quality pics as I took it from my mobile and I forgot to take pics for the whole tire :()

Here is how the tire look ,,, in reality it is more squired than this pic

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think that is a little close but without seeing it in person its really hard to judge. I know that most 265/65R17's wont fit and thats why I mentioned earlier getting 265/65R17 BFG All Terrains due to the shape of the tread. They will fit with a lot more space then what your photo's show.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
That's the stock size tire for my 4Runner. One thing I noticed is that the same size tire from different manufacturers are definitely not always the same. My 4Runner came with Dunlops and when I switched them out to Cooper Discoverers, I noticed that the actual tread width was 1 inch wider on the Coopers. You might want to try other tires in that size to see if you have more clearance. Or if that's not an option, you can always trim the end of that bolt. It looks like you would definitely free up some space if you do that instead...

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mentioned earlier getting 265/65R17 BFG All Terrains due to the shape of the tread. They will fit with a lot more space then what your photo's show.
I wish I could have the BFG All-Terrain, unfortunately its not available here:icon_confused:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I noticed is that the same size tire from different manufacturers are definitely not always the same.
That is true, according to the tire calculator the 265/65/17 should be 0.78" wider than 245/65/17 and 0.51' taller in the sidewall,,, but this particular tire looked like 1.3" wider !! ,, and I really liked its wideness looks awesome

you can always trim the end of that bolt. It looks like you would definitely free up some space if you do that instead...
Can I ? ,,, I guess that part is used to get the ball joint out !!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The stock 245/65R17 Goodyear Fortura tread width is actually wider then my new 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVO so you cant always go by the size on the tire.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Can I ? ,,, I guess that part is used to get the ball joint out !!
The main purpose of the squared off end is to be able to hold it while tightening the hex nut. Any mechanic can simply tap the ball joint out if you grind off that squared off end. I think that's your best bet if you want to use those tires.

Just for the record, I love the wider look of the tires too. Gives it a nice stance...

Hey, did you ever think about adding wheel spacers? That might be another alternative.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had to completely shave that bolt down to the nut with my tires for them to fit properly. TR4's right about the functionality of it, it's a non-crucial piece. Wheel spacers would also be a good idea, I'm getting my 1.5" Spidertraxx installed on the 6th to prevent any more scraping.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main purpose of the squared off end is to be able to hold it while tightening the hex nut. Any mechanic can simply tap the ball joint out if you grind off that squared off end. I think that's your best bet if you want to use those tires.

Just for the record, I love the wider look of the tires too. Gives it a nice stance...

Hey, did you ever think about adding wheel spacers? That might be another alternative.
I believe these are my two options , cutting the bolt end or wheel spacer.

the problem with wheel spacers that they are not common in here and what available are not good as they come in only a plate and longer bolts which is not a good and safety setup! ,,, and ordering the spacers from US might be a bit expensive due its weight !!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to completely shave that bolt down to the nut with my tires for them to fit properly. TR4's right about the functionality of it, it's a non-crucial piece. Wheel spacers would also be a good idea, I'm getting my 1.5" Spidertraxx installed on the 6th to prevent any more scraping.
Do you have any pics for that bolt shoved off?

and do you have any rubbing to put the spacer? where ?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you shave off the ball joint bolt to where the threads start youll gain about another 1/4. After that i think clearance would be fine.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you shave off the ball joint bolt to where the threads start youll gain about another 1/4. After that i think clearance would be fine.
Exactly, that will solve the problem without the need for spacer as the tire is well away form the wheel well in all sides.

What about your opining about the use of the that part of the bolt? can the ball joint tightened and untightened easily without it and without damaging the end of the bolt ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
your tire will never hit that. i run mine that close.
the top of your tire does not change shape. (even aired down to 20 psi). it's the bottom of your tires that move, and squish around.
I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
As a precaution I would cut the bolt off almost flush with the nut with no hesitation ... even without shaving it should not interfear though

·
2,248 Posts
Ahmed,

How hard is it for you to get to Dubai? In April I am going over there with one or more of our Mobile Surgery Units. We are having a special display at one of the Royal Palaces to kick off our partnership with the Government of the UAE. They are ordering hundreds of our units to fill the need for health care that is required of all contractors for their employees under the new law. When closed the Mobile Units are the size of a maximum tractor trailer. I could easily put a couple of sets of Spydertrax spacers in and ship them over for you. The sheiks that we are working with are "Car Guys" and I am sure that we could get them from Dubai to you if it is to far for you. One of the guys has a palace with one of every model of Bentleys and Rolls Royce's.

This is a picture of one of them. Michael, the fellow in the picture has worked for me for a few years, very intelligent guy and really takes the load off me. Here he is in Dubai.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
As a precaution I would cut the bolt off almost flush with the nut with no hesitation ... even without shaving it should not interfear though
I would not cut the bolt off directly at the nut. This will make it nearly impossible to remove the upper ball joint nut if it ever needs it. I ran my 265/70R17's for some time without spacers and had no issue with that bolt, but it was extremely close.

·
Registered
319 Posts
the top of your tire does not change shape. (even aired down to 20 psi). it's the bottom of your tires that move, and squish around.
I say go for it.
Exactly, I've seen his set up, and he DRIVES his, just shave it and you're good!

·
2,248 Posts
Bump for Ahmed

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ahmed,

How hard is it for you to get to Dubai? In April I am going over there with one or more of our Mobile Surgery Units. We are having a special display at one of the Royal Palaces to kick off our partnership with the Government of the UAE. They are ordering hundreds of our units to fill the need for health care that is required of all contractors for their employees under the new law. When closed the Mobile Units are the size of a maximum tractor trailer. I could easily put a couple of sets of Spydertrax spacers in and ship them over for you. The sheiks that we are working with are "Car Guys" and I am sure that we could get them from Dubai to you if it is to far for you. One of the guys has a palace with one of every model of Bentleys and Rolls Royce's.

This is a picture of one of them. Michael, the fellow in the picture has worked for me for a few years, very intelligent guy and really takes the load off me. Here he is in Dubai.

Thank you so much for you offer and help ,, Dubai is not very very far (around 670 miles) , I can make it a weekend trip to my aunt. But one of my friends is going to US next Feb and he can bring the spacers with him too.

But I'm still prefer to avoid using the spacers, I'm not sure how safe they are!! and 1.5" or 1.25" is a bit wide for me, the tires will pop little outside fenders and that might not be very ok in sand as the sand will be thrown on the body and windows all the time !

In regards to your trip in April, let me know in advance, we might arrange a trip with other members in UAE !

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I say go for it.
Good,

what kind of Goodyear tires you have ? SilentArmor?

Do you have any pics for the bolt and the tire?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts