Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered our 2" OME lift. I'm pretty set on getting BF Goodrich tires (based on experience with them), and was wondering if anybody has had experience with a 265/65R17 BFG All-Terrain on their Commander?

I'm mostly looking to see if there is any rub as the tire is only about an inch taller than stock. For that matter, has anybody had any trouble with 265/65R17s? The other benefit with this size is that I don't have to find someone with the reprogrammer to readjust the speedo (62mph instead of 60mph).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You shouldn't have any rubbing with that size tire. I did a lot of research after I lifted my commander and was going to run those tires in that size but decided to go with the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's instead. One reason was due to the high price of the BFG All Terrains and also I wanted a tire that wouldnt last as long so I would have an excause for new tires once I get the superlift!

·
2,248 Posts
I use a tire that is slightly taller also with a lift and Spydertrax spacers. I do not rub with this size tire.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think I would rub, but wanted to make sure since a lot of y'all have experience. The lifetime of the tire is pretty important for me with the wife putting 20,000 miles on the Commander a year just to go to/from work. We have close to 60,000 miles on the Forteras. I figure any off-road tire is going to cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I have the same size Matercraft A/T tires,, I do have little rubbing against the inside wall and sway bar due to the wide tread, I think the BFG A/T is a little narrower than mine, so I think it will work ok with you

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that were to happen, would spacers fix it?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
With that width of a tire, I would say that you would need spacers anyway to keep it from rubbing against the upper control arm stud. If it's a very minor rub with the spacers at full lock, I say don't worry about. But I think that you would definitely need spacers or offset rims with that width.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeeouch, I just went outside and took a closer look at it. It looks like I need to rethink my tire size. The lift still goes on, but I may now keep the stock tire size. Maybe some of the Silent Armor's or BFG Rugged Trails. If I do the BFG Rugged Trails, I don't have to buy 5, just 4.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The tread width of Ahmed's 265/65R17 Mastercraft AT's are 8.75 inches and the tread with of 265/65R17 BF Goodrich All Terrains are 9.00 inches. If you were to shave off a little of the ball joint bolt i think youd fit fine, but if you didn't shave the bolt I think you'd rub.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would definitely be pushing it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You could go with some 245 70 which is the tire I am probabbly going to go with eventually. Also there are some people on the forum who run the 245 75 bfg at ko's with no spacers and no rub w/o a lift even.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You can always buy my tires off of me! They are practically brand new and you will have no rubbing with them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can always buy my tires off of me! They are practically brand new and you will have no rubbing with them.
You really want to get rid of those Bridgestones. I'm starting to consider the 245/70R17s. That size is theoretically narrower than stock, but I would like the larger tire with the lift, and I would think (I don't know where to get and make the calculation), those would be a narrower than Ahmed's .

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Also 255/70/17s Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors will not rub with or without wheel spacers.

Also, who's doing your lift?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also 255/70/17s Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors will not rub with or without wheel spacers.

Also, who's doing your lift?
I'll be doing the lift myself with the help of the instructions from another post on the OME lift. Hopefully I can get some NOVA Jeeper guys over to help (I'm thinking at least Foxrunner). Would you like to help once I get the parts?

I don't really want to go over an inch taller with the tires unless I can get the speedo reprogrammed, and I'd prefer BFG tires (personal preference), but I have looked at the Silent Armors (but don't know if I want Goodyear, although I'll get at least 60k out of the Forteras).

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Sure, I'll give you a hand. Just let me know when. I haven't been on the novajeepers website in a while, so make sure you send me a PM here.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You really want to get rid of those Bridgestones. I'm starting to consider the 245/70R17s. That size is theoretically narrower than stock, but I would like the larger tire with the lift, and I would think (I don't know where to get and make the calculation), those would be a narrower than Ahmed's .
It's not that I want to get rid of them becuase i dont like them or that they are not good. These tires are absolutely amazing. It's just they wont work to well with a 4 inch Superlift. I'd actually lose ground clearance due to the front cross member. Also it would be pointless to lift it more and keep the same tires I have now. I have actually thought about buying the Bridgestones in 285/70, but I really want a mud tire!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not that I want to get rid of them becuase i dont like them or that they are not good. These tires are absolutely amazing. It's just they wont work to well with a 4 inch Superlift. I'd actually lose ground clearance due to the front cross member. Also it would be pointless to lift it more and keep the same tires I have now. I have actually thought about buying the Bridgestones in 285/70, but I really want a mud tire!
I figured there was other reasons for you wanting to get rid of them. You mentioned earlier that you wanted the lower mileage tire to give you an excuse to get a larger tire sooner. I just didn't realize you were wanted to move up sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts