Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the perfect set up in my opinion for the Jeep Commander. I spent about 6 weeks trying to decide on Wheels and Tires for this Jeep once I installed my RR 2.25" lift. These wheels have a 25 offset so I did not have to purchase spacers. The tires are about 1/4" from the wheel well when turned and I have not had any issues with rubbing. (I have not been offroad yet, I am going to Moab in about a month.) And I had discount tire test to see if this wheel and tire would fit in my spare tire storage area and it fit like a glove. I am going to order a 5th wheel and tire tomorrow for a spare. Has anyone done the same and rotated in the 5th wheel every 6k miles? Thoughts on that? Let me know what you guys think of the pics.

Attachments

·
1,993 Posts
Take a picture of the jeep up the side so people can see how far they stick out. Have you done any mods to the pinch weld or wheel well? Running that off set you might dare I say should have rubbing issues once you start to flex it out especially if you disconnect the sway bars. Looks good and have fun at moab and remember no pictures it didn't happen.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Nice set up

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
This is the perfect set up in my opinion for the Jeep Commander. I spent about 6 weeks trying to decide on Wheels and Tires for this Jeep once I installed my RR 2.25" lift. These wheels have a 25 offset so I did not have to purchase spacers.
Looks like you did a lot of work and it paid off. Really nice set-up and good looking rig. Take plenty of pics during your trip. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SAL- No I have not done any mods to the wheel well or pinch weld at this point. I just put these tires and wheels on today. To be honest I am new to this whole Jeep thing, this is my first Jeep and I have had it about 7 months. I have not thought about disconnecting the sway bars... I am not planning on doing any "difficult" trails. (to start anyway). I am planning on a easy trail next weekend close by my house just to test things out. It’s an old Pony Express Trail near SLC.

I will take a side pic tomorrow so you can see how far the wheel sticks out.

Jeep5253- Thanks for the thread. It makes sense to rotate every 3-4k miles w/ the 5th tire. Thanks.

·
1,993 Posts
Well make sure you take it easy until you see whats going to rub and where its rubbing. Both the pinch weld and wheel well mods are real simple. We did the pinch weld mod on a friends WK on the trail because he never did it and when we hit the trails he started rubbing and cutting into the tire. If you can find somewhere to flex out before you go that would be ideal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SAL, did your friend have his sway bars connected? Do you have any good instructions on the wheel well, and pinch weld mod?

Can you tell me more about the sway bars... If I take them off how does that effect my every day driving? And I assume if I take them off I am able to do more difficult trails? Thanks for the help

·
1,993 Posts
SAL, did your friend have his sway bars connected? Do you have any good instructions on the wheel well, and pinch weld mod?

Can you tell me more about the sway bars... If I take them off how does that effect my every day driving? And I assume if I take them off I am able to do more difficult trails? Thanks for the help
Disconnecting the sway bar allows the wheels to travel more and makes the ride a little more comfortable. You don't take it out just disconnect it. I don't recommend running on the streets other then short trips to get to other trails without the sway bar connected. Also don't for get to air down your tires for the trails another thing we do for a more comfortable ride, better traction and safer for the tire. For rocks and ledges I go down to 15PSI.

Check this thread out for the PINCH WELD MOD

Also he did not have his sway bar disconnected and he was only rubbing on one tire the passenger rear. So you never know where you will rub until you get out there and flex the jeep.

For the wheel well just heat it up with a heat gun not to hot and push it back with a 2x4 or hammer. I just took a saw to mine and cut the spots out it rubbed in myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic to show the how far the wheel sticks out. These wheels have a 25 offset.

SAL, before I bought my tires I noticed that everyone that did the pinch weld mod were running 255/75-17. These are about 1/4" closer to the pinch weld than the 265/70-17. Have you seen anyone online that has had to do the pinch mod w/ the 265/70? I am sure you are right I will find out once I take it off-road. Sounds like I need to get a portable air compressor... any recommendations that fit nice and snug in the jeep?

Discount tire- You guys are great. Very patient with me!! They shipped in 3 wheels before I made up my mind on what I wanted. Great Price!!! Wheels and tires were $1,335.35 and I am going to get a $70 rebate from bridgestone.

Attachments

·
1,993 Posts
SAL, before I bought my tires I noticed that everyone that did the pinch weld mod were running 255/75-17. These are about 1/4" closer to the pinch weld than the 265/70-17. Have you seen anyone online that has had to do the pinch mod w/ the 265/70? I am sure you are right I will find out once I take it off-road. Sounds like I need to get a portable air compressor... any recommendations that fit nice and snug in the jeep?
Some do have rubbing and some don't. I never hit my pinch weld but hit my sway bar at full lock. At the very least airing down is worth the trouble even if you leave you sway bars connected. A lot guys bought an air compressor from harbor freight Read this THREAD You can also read this THREAD about airing down and there is a video in it to help explain some reasons why as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get the E load rated tires?? Just curious as I just ordered the exact same tire last week, but was told to go with the E load rating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts