1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Rocky Road 2.25 lift.
I also have 1.5 Spacers......
I am running 255/70/17's

I need two new tires and order , duh duh, a size larger.
265/70/17's.....

Do any of you have this setup and know if i will have issues.?

Id like to keep the 265's but have yet to mount them and see if they will work.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Assuming you have four wheel drive, if you want to use the larger tire size you need two more.
Otherwise, you'll toast the transfer case and then you'll need it and two more tires.

Bad Ju Ju.

As far as actual fitment, you should be able to get the diameter specification for your current size tire and the new tire.
Say, for example, with the front wheels turned left or right now, how close are the tire shoulders to any potental rub points within the fender wells?
If you only are working with, say, a quarter inch and the replacement tire diameter is larger, you will have to modify the inner fenders and maybe the pinch weld to clear.
Not that big a deal but some owners shy away from this type of mod.

IMO, since the current size seems to work out, and you believe you can get by with just two, you should stick with that size......the transfer case will thank you.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters any worse.
Rob

·
Registered
284 Posts
There are lots of us running 255.75.17 tires. I would follow Robbys example though. 2 different sizes would not be good on the All Wheel Drive

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me clarify that. YES I am planning on doing all 4 the same size. I even ordered the 4 sensors from our forum-mate "geeEssFore" :) for them. I only have the two now, and before
I order the other two, I am in that decision point of exchange for four 255's, or keep the 2 265/70/17's, and order 2 more of the same size.
Yes, I have 4x4 full time, QT1.
just considering if I should off (exchange) what i have if it will be a PITA. ?
My major concern was the bolt on the knuckle, I have the spacers, so I dont think, think, that will be an issue...which is why i ask for anyone having this setup, if they recall having to modify anything or go with a larger spacer to clear the sidewall from that (bolt) that sticks out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the answer is Yes, 265/70/17 Terra Grapplers will rub slightly.
So I initiated the " pinch weld mod ". That consisted of cutting an area of the wheel well plastic. I then Made a few serrated cuts with a metal blade on a reciprocating saw.
I then hammered those inwards, and sealed it with a rubber undercoat sealer spray.

The results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts