Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know there has been lots of chat around this subject but I couldn't really see a definitive answer to this if anyone can help?

I'm running a stock setup on my Hemi and wanted to get some larger tires for the 17 x 7.5 rims.

Will 265/70/17s fit without a lift? I'm happy to put spacers in but don't really want to go through the expense of a lift.

If so what are the smallest spacers I can get away with?

Is there anyway of going for 285s without a lift?

Thanks

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Hi, I know there has been lots of chat around this subject but I couldn't really see a definitive answer to this if anyone can help?

I'm running a stock setup on my Hemi and wanted to get some larger tires for the 17 x 7.5 rims.

Will 265/70/17s fit without a lift? I'm happy to put spacers in but don't really want to go through the expense of a lift.

If so what are the smallest spacers I can get away with?

Is there anyway of going for 285s without a lift?

Thanks
I don't even think those tires will fit on the stock rims your rims would have to be at least 17 x 8 to accommodate 265/70/17's.

That being said - even with the proper rims, you would most definitely experience rubbing issues running 265/70/17's without at least a 2 inch lift.

That's a big fat NO with 285's too, which is an even taller tire.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Almost Definitely no. Some people have gotten away with 31's, but barely and its rare.

you can ran 265's on a 7" wheel... its only 10 mm wider then the 255's that come stock on a lot of these wheel/tire setups. You don't need much spacer for that if any depending on the tire and how aggressive the tread/side lugs are. The first interference on tread width is the bolt for the UCA ball joint. slip on spacers could work... but these rigs are hub centric so there are not very many of those available. Most people go with 1.25" spacers on the low end. I'm not a fan of spacers but the extra track width is real nice (i have aftermarket rims with less backspacing that are similar to running 1.5" spacers IIRC.

You could maybe do 285's if you keep the sidewall down and run spacers.

basically worst thing that happens with a tire too wide for a rim is that you wear out the centers a bit faster. A lot of guys running tires that wide on rims below the recommended range. I would choose not to personally though.

BTW the first number in a tire dimension is tread width, the second number is an aspect ratio that determines sidewall height based on tread width.

255/70r17's would maybe work, but you have a a heavy hemi and these rigs tend to sag a bit over the years of use. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got some minor rub with that setup when going from lock to lock with the suspension flexed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost Definitely no. Some people have gotten away with 31's, but barely and its rare.

you can ran 265's on a 7" wheel... its only 10 mm wider then the 255's that come stock on a lot of these wheel/tire setups. You don't need much spacer for that if any depending on the tire and how aggressive the tread/side lugs are. The first interference on tread width is the bolt for the UCA ball joint. slip on spacers could work... but these rigs are hub centric so there are not very many of those available. Most people go with 1.25" spacers on the low end. I'm not a fan of spacers but the extra track width is real nice (i have aftermarket rims with less backspacing that are similar to running 1.5" spacers IIRC.

Hmmm, ok. Luckyse7ens not sure I was reading your email correctly as you start by saying probably not but then you may suggest that with spacers I could run the 265/70s?

I presume I can cut the bolt down (if there's the length to do it). I can get hub centric spacers.

If I did want to go with a lift, how much does a lift cost, is it a tricky, lengthy operation?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just seen this thread where someone suggests that you can put in 245/75/17 BFG ATs which are 31.5" in diameter without any rubbing on a stock setup, no lift. A few others seem to suggest it too.

And I was wondering, if this is the case, why can't a BFG AT 265/65 or a BFG AT 265/70 fit if I use a spacer to counter the extra width of the 265s as one has a smaller diameter and the 70s are 2.5mm larger which seems such a tiny difference? Thanks

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/26-wheels-tires/14158-need-help-245-75-17-duratracs.html

Generic size chart (Tacomaworld):
245/75 - 31.47 - 799.3
265/65 - 30.56 - 776.3
265/70 - 31.61 - 802.8

Goodrich's
BFG AT 245/75 - 31.5 - 800.1
BFG AT 265/65 - 30.5 - 774.7
BFG AT 265/70 - 31.6 - 802.6

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi guys, anyone got any more thoughts on this?

My 1.25" spacers have arrived so going to slap them on in the next couple of days when I have time! Can't wait to see the wider look and feel the difference round corners with the wider base. Will take photos.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
photos of my stock setup - no idea why it has turned them upside dow. Can't seem to get them to rotate, sorry
Big Blue said:
I don't even think those tires will fit on the stock rims your rims would have to be at least 17 x 8 to accommodate 265/70/17's.

That being said - even with the proper rims, you would most definitely experience rubbing issues running 265/70/17's without at least a 2 inch lift.

That's a big fat NO with 285's too, which is an even taller tire.
I already gave you my thoughts based on my experience......if you don't want to listen, I can't help you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, no need to take offence @BigBlue! I was actually speaking more to @luckyse7ens as he was seeming to suggest you could (unless I have misread his reply). I’ve asked the question because some other people have been able to fit tires you are saying can’t and if the 245/75 can fit then I’m just asking for others experience and thoughts on fitting anything of a similar size.

If you’ve given your full opinion then thanks Big blue, I certainly wasn’t making an attack on your judgment!! Just asking for others thoughts.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have 255/70r18's (32" x 10") and there is no way that would have fit without rubbing on a stock suspension and that is with a v6.

They'd probably not rub if I only drove in a straight line on perfectly flat roads I guess.

265 70r17's are a common tire size for these vehicles with a budget lift in the 2 to 3" range.

265 65r17's would probably be a good choice for a +1 tire on stock suspension with spacers IMHO.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

Hmmm, ok. Luckyse7ens not sure I was reading your email correctly as you start by saying probably not but then you may suggest that with spacers I could run the 265/70s?

I presume I can cut the bolt down (if there's the length to do it). I can get hub centric spacers.

If I did want to go with a lift, how much does a lift cost, is it a tricky, lengthy operation?
With spacers you can run a 265 width tire IMHO. I didnt say that you would likely be ok with 265/70r17's on stock suspension. I may have rambled too much in my previous post.

A lift can be lengthy and tricky in the front potentially. Rear is ridiculously simple.

A common budget lift is the Rough country "2.25" spacer lift. IIRC Blue runs this one. Around $150 for the kit. You have to remove the front shock/spring combo and many people have problems with the bolt that holds in the bottom of the shock as it fuses itself to the LCA, and put a spacer on top. You can drop the rear pretty easy and slip on the spring spacer.

I've pulled mine apart and installed the lift in my driveway and I'm just a shadetree. I actually had it apart twice since I lifted it a bit more after I was getting some rubbing even with the pinch weld mod.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With spacers you can run a 265 width tire IMHO. I didnt say that you would likely be ok with 265/70r17's on stock suspension. I may have rambled too much in my previous post.

A lift can be lengthy and tricky in the front potentially. Rear is ridiculously simple.

A common budget lift is the Rough country "2.25" spacer lift. IIRC Blue runs this one. Around $150 for the kit. You have to remove the front shock/spring combo and many people have problems with the bolt that holds in the bottom of the shock as it fuses itself to the LCA, and put a spacer on top. You can drop the rear pretty easy and slip on the spring spacer.

I've pulled mine apart and installed the lift in my driveway and I'm just a shadetree. I actually had it apart twice since I lifted it a bit more after I was getting some rubbing even with the pinch weld mod.

Ok, I thought I may have misread it slightly. Thanks. I think maybe the best thing to do will be to take the Jeep to a tyre place and get them to put on a couple of different tyres to see what fits. And when I've got some more cash, get a lift for sure although not sure how my wife is going to get into it, it's hard enough already, haha!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
None taken @PhilCommanderPayne

Just understand that what I've given you is not my opinion - it's fact.

Good!

Well the spacers are going on today/ tomorrow so taking the first step towards beasting up my Hemi! Wish I'd looked into all this 3 years ago when I first got her but didn't realise this forum was here and to the extent it is otherwise I'd have gone to town on her soooo much sooner! I've taken photos and video of before and will post with after shots too.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Good!

Well the spacers are going on today/ tomorrow so taking the first step towards beasting up my Hemi! Wish I'd looked into all this 3 years ago when I first got her but didn't realise this forum was here and to the extent it is otherwise I'd have gone to town on her soooo much sooner! I've taken photos and video of before and will post with after shots too.
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

The price of doing modifications to your Commander adds up pretty quick, for most people, it's better doing just a couple of mods at a time, it's financially more manageable that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FWIW I can't see the 265/70r17 fitting on a stock rig.

I installed the Bilstein 5100s on the bottom setting (1.2") and a shim spacer for an extra 1/4" passenger & ~1/2" driver side to level it out. I'm running 255/70r17 General Grabber AT2s and get a tiny bit of rub at full lock where the edge of the tread block make contact with the back of the inner fender area at about 6 o'clock. This is sitting on flat pavement. There might be other rubbing off road, but I haven't heard it yet.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
FWIW I can't see the 265/70r17 fitting on a stock rig.

I installed the Bilstein 5100s on the bottom setting (1.2") and a shim spacer for an extra 1/4" passenger & ~1/2" driver side to level it out. I'm running 255/70r17 General Grabber AT2s and get a tiny bit of rub at full lock where the edge of the tread block make contact with the back of the inner fender area at about 6 o'clock. This is sitting on flat pavement. There might be other rubbing off road, but I haven't heard it yet.
Even with a 3 inch lift (which is about what I have with larger diameter tires & the 2 inch RC lift) 265/70/17's is about as big a tire as I can fit without major modifications - or upgrading to the 4 inch super-lift.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Here is the before and after as promised, so happy with how it’s turned out and eventually when I get the bigger tires it’ll really come together!

30mm (1 1/4”) hubcentric spacers.
Looks like the spacers did their job, nice work.

I kind of accomplished the same thing when I swapped out my rims - I went from 5.5 inches of back spacing to 4.5 inches of back spacing which was basically providing the same result as adding 1 inch wheel spacers - without the spacers.

To be honest, in my case it wasn't intentional, that just happened to be the difference in back-spacing between the rims that I had and the new rims that I ordered; even though it was unplanned, it worked out pretty well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts