Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My OME liftkit shall arrive mid next week and I'm not yet decided on the size of the new tires to install on my 2007 Commander Hemi.

I'm pretty much sure now that I will go with Goodyear Silentarmor tires. As for their size that's an other story and that's precisely why I need some of this group's wisdom.

Oh yes I have read the suspension and tire sticky many many times. But still it does not answer all my interrogations.

If I don't mind bending the fender lips to accomodate bigger tires, I'm not too interested in spending another $ 300.00 on wheel spacers.

As per the sticky, I could install some 245/75/17 Silentarmor with no other mods apart from the 2" OME lift kit.

Would some 265/70/17 silent armor fit without wheel spacers ? If not what wheel spacer thickness shall I look for ?

If I do want to increase my offroad clearance with higher tires, higher and larger ones would look even better with the lift...

What do you think ?

Anybody uses the same combo ?

Thanks,

Dominik aka Walterkilo
2007 Too-limited

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You will need wheel spacers for 265/70R17's on a 2 inch lift. Im running 1.25 inch spider trax spacers and havent had any problems with them. But you will have to bend over the pinch weld and mod the plastic inner fender well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Something else to consider, I have 255/75 GY SA, and they were a lot cheaper than the 265/70's and are a little taller. I got 1.5" spacers because without them I was getting rubbing in on the spot that couldn't be modified. With the spaces I did have to do the pinch weld mod though.

I'm just thinking if the price of the tires is still significantly lower like it was when I was shopping then it covers the price of the spacers.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I would go for the 265/70 with spacers. I think the spacers give it a nice look. I wish I had got the 265 but I got the 255 silent armor. I plan to do the same lift soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after much thinking over what I need, what I want and what I can reasonnably spend, I decided to go with 245/75/17 Goodyear Silentarmors.

hoaxci5, you were very right with the important cost saving between 265/70 and 255/75's... Yes, indeed I could have saved enough to buy 1.25" spidertrax like 07JeepXK and D-niceCommander suggested... Thank you for that.

But with 245/75/17, no pinch welds bending and no wheel spacers...

Further, there is this guy in town who sells 4 Goodyear Silentarmor 245/75/17 brand new tires for $ 650. cdn no tax... Here the cheapest I found for these tires was $ 207. a piece + 15% or so tax.

From now on, I will be bragging about just how great 245/75's look on a 2" lift Old EMU Commander... It will be a huge improvement I'm sure but I will always look up to you guys with 265/70's...

I'll pickup the tires tomorrow night and UPS is suppose to deliver the EMU kit on april 27th... Then I shall pick up the camera and the tools to start building MY garage !

You guys will never believe with what vehicule I was offroading before the Jeep's arrival...

Thank you again,

Dominik aka Walterkilo
too-limited 2007 Commander

·
Registered
696 Posts
Walterkilo with my 265/70s I will still look up to you with the EMU!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's the set up I have...245/70/17 with 2"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GetNby, Last minute fright... With 245/75/17 Silentarmor you have nothing rubbing ? That inconcevably long bolt does not touch ? Have you cut it ?

My Jeep is now parked outside the garage where it will be worked on tomorrow morning. The tires and lift kit are inside. Before getting it there I looked at those bolts. Even in stock trim, I feel they are close. The new tire tread will now be 1" higher. Suddenly afraid it will touch...

I will look at your garage...

Thanks,

Dominik
most likely stupidly worried...

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 255/75/17 doesn't rub the bolt. Same tire Goodyear Silent Armors. Nothing to worry about as far as the bolt.

Other rubbing well I dunno.. I had it with mine, but your 245's won't be as wide or tall.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hoXCI5, Thank you for answering ! If yours fit without spacers, then my 245 shall feel lonely in the wheelwells... it's 5h43 am here. We shall see pretty soon !

Thank you,

Domink aka Walterkilo
2007 very very soon not-so-limited...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yea I only ended up putting spacers on to move where the rubbing was on the fender well so I could mod it better. The rubbing I had at full lock was on a metal part of the frame area and I couldn't bend it back. So I used spacers to move the tire out and then the rubbing was just in the pinch weld area. No issues at all with the bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts