Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my RC 2" Lift. I also have a 1/4" spacer on top of the front struts so the front sits about an inch higher than the back. Approximately at 36.1 inches to the fender. I'm getting some 20 inch wheels, and i want some Nitto Terra Grapplers, my two choices are 265/50r20 or 275/55r20.

265: 30.51 inches tall, 10.75 inches wide.

275: 31.80 inches tall, 11.10 inches wide.

I would personally like to run the 275's, but am worried about the tires hitting the UCA bolt... Or even having a lot of rubbing at full turn or just bumps. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've got 275/60/17's on right now, which fall somewhere between what you're looking at. What is the offset of the wheels you're looking at? With or without wheel spacers (assuming OEM wheel specs) the 265's will fit with no problems, but the 275's will definitely cause some rubbing in the wheelwell unless you do some remolding. I don't think the UCA bolt would be an issue, though. You can look at my FB album and there are some fotos of the UCA clearance and wheel at full lock (with 1.5" spacers). Your 275/55 tire would be the same width, but 1" taller radius. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got 275/60/17's on right now, which fall somewhere between what you're looking at. What is the offset of the wheels you're looking at? With or without wheel spacers (assuming OEM wheel specs) the 265's will fit with no problems, but the 275's will definitely cause some rubbing in the wheelwell unless you do some remolding. I don't think the UCA bolt would be an issue, though. You can look at my FB album and there are some fotos of the UCA clearance and wheel at full lock (with 1.5" spacers). Your 275/55 tire would be the same width, but 1" taller radius. Hope that helps!

I'm looking at some 20x8.5's with 14mm offset and 5.5 bs. But after reading another thread, I'm not sure it would work? I have no idea I need help lol, the other size would be around a 35mm offset... I just need some advice from someone about which size to get, then I will place the order for the tires and rims, and run a test fit, then determine whether or not i will need wheel spacers. But yeah that somewhat helps! Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The best offset to use would be +25mm. Should not rub with a 20x8.5 wheel with that offset. I think that a 14mm will rub plastic and a 35mm you would have to cut the bolt. 275/55-20 with 20x8 +25mm offset should fit perfect.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best offset to use would be +25mm. Should not rub with a 20x8.5 wheel with that offset. I think that a 14mm will rub plastic and a 35mm you would have to cut the bolt. 275/55-20 with 20x8 +25mm offset should fit perfect.
What about backspacing?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong;

Backspacing is to offset what inches is to millimeters.

(that was on the ACT, right?)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The amount of offset is what affects how much backspacing there will be. Lower offset = more back space. I run +10 offset and have roughly 5" backspacing (can't remember exact decimal, it's +-.1")

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The amount of offset is what affects how much backspacing there will be. Lower offset = more back space. I run +10 offset and have roughly 5" backspacing (can't remember exact decimal, it's +-.1")

Yeah I realized that. I'm going with some 20x8.5 wheels +25mm offset and 5.75 bs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been researching this quite a bit myself. I am going to be installing rock crawlers 3.5 inch lift an want to upgrade to 20 inch wheels myself. I'm no pro either but I decided on a 265x55-20. An overall diameter of just under 31.5". as for wheels I'm going with a set of KMC XD798 black/machined in a 20x9 with 4.5 inches of backspace. with all the research I've done everything's points to this fitting with no rubbing, but like I said I'm no pro and I've been wrong before. Don't know if this helps but that's my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts