Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running 275/60/17's with stock susspension? I did search to no avail. My stock 245/65/17's are 9.65"w and 29.5h and the 275/60's i'm looking at are 10.80"w and 30"h. This commander is never off road and carries the family sometimes long highway journies so i'm not looking at a/t tires or any lift. I guess i'd do wheel spacers if really needed. Thanks all.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've running this size now, but with the Rough Country 2" lift and 1" wheel spacers. The tires fit just fine without the wheel spacers, but I'm almost positive they wouldn't fit without the lift. There's some pics of the setup on my user page. Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Read the very first line in that thread and then do what it says.

·
Registered
809 Posts
At what width do i need to use a spacer?
Judging solely from my own, I would think 275 is the widest you can go without having to push the tire out with spacers from the upper control arm bolt. Without the spacers the dimensions you are talking about JUST cleared the bolt- maybe a 1/4" of clearance. Putting spacers on would allow you to clear the bolt with a wider tire, but changing the pivot point of that tire will almost certainly cause it to rub on the wheel well shroud when turning. With spacers I have about 1/3" of clearance at full lock- pretty sure increasing either the height or the ratio would cause it to touch. But again, I can't say how all those specs would change if I didn't have a lift. Maybe you should get a lift...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw the pics u have up on your user page and your experiences with this tire size is exactly the feedback i was hoping for. I'm not sure if i (read; My wife) would like how the vehicle rides with a lift. It's Kind of a grocery getter soccer mom taxi. Maybe i'll have to move down to a 265/60 to play it safe.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A two inch lift doesn't affect how it rides, but does make it a little harder for some people to get in and out of the vehicle. Given that those tires are only 1/2" taller diameter, I wouldn't expect them to need a lift. Those tires will be 35 mm's wider (1 inch wider), so I wouldn't be surprised that you would need a wheel spacer or different rims.

Maybe you could have the tire store put one on in the front and try turning the wheel full left and right to test and if it doesn't fit, go next size down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts