Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every tread in here tells guys they can't put any bigger than 265/70/r17 on a 2" lifted 1.5" spacers Commander...
275/70/R17 right here boys, like a glove with a small inner plastic fender cut. You can cut the fender with a razor, grind the body weld with an angle grinder with 40 grit disk. (Not to much 1/8") boom plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great! I'm currently looking at up-sizing and had a few questions, if you don't mind:
1. What rims/spacers are you running?
2. Do you have a spacer or suspension lift?
3. With the mods you've made, do you get any rubbing at full lock?
4. Do you notice any noticeable increase in your turn radius with the new setup?
5. Have you noticed any change in gas mileage?

Sorry for all the questions... :p

Cheers,
T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks great! I'm currently looking at up-sizing and had a few questions, if you don't mind:
1. What rims/spacers are you running?
2. Do you have a spacer or suspension lift?
3. With the mods you've made, do you get any rubbing at full lock?
4. Do you notice any noticeable increase in your turn radius with the new setup?
5. Have you noticed any change in gas mileage?

Sorry for all the questions... :p

Cheers,
T
75th anniversary jeep 17" rims 1.5" spider spacers
Had to trim about 6" from back of the front wheel well. Grind down pinch weld about a 1/4"
No rub at all.
Still has great jeep turn radius.
I little gas millage loss but it already sucked...?
Put on 6 LEDs yesterday ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had to trim about 6" from back of the front wheel well. Grind down pinch weld about a 1/4" View attachment 40678 No rub at all.
Cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had to trim about 6" from back of the front wheel well. Grind down pinch weld about a 1/4" View attachment 40678 No rub at all.
As far as the gas mileage, did you recalibrate the speedometer/shift points, or is it still stock programming?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What did you use to cut out the 6” to stop rubbing? Want to go bigger with my tires, downsized from what you are running now because they got shredded up in the front?. My XK still makes fart noises when I’m maneuvering thru parking lots with sharp turns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removed everywhere I found to rub... Remember every lift & suspension are different (sag/wear&tear)so I could have a bit more clearance than some. No rubbing on my rig.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So you basically just cut the weld off, instead of bending it over (via "pinch weld mod") to keep the structural integrity of the body? Or you just cut the plastic around the pinch and took some of the pinch area off, keeping the spot welds intact? You should post some pics of what you did!

What about the A/C and Coolant lines on the passenger side?
Really those lines are the only thing that limits the XK's tire size (until you hit pinch weld limits)...so if your's doesn't have the 3rd row HVAC, or it was previously removed...then yaaa- fitting these tires is cake! Driver's side I have TONS of room.

EDIT: forgot to mention that tire sizes also aren't neccesarily 1:1 across manufacturers. I don't remember the differences because I haven't done any tire research in a good while, but I remember reading about it on here and elsewhere. You'd think they'd all be the same because of solid numbers....but apparently not. 265/70 to 275/70 is about 1/2" height difference, so small enough difference it could be so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I think I said I took it down around a1/4 inch... I left the spot welds completely intact but it gave me enough clearance to not be rubbing anywhere. As far as the HVAC lines I clear those by enough to make me comfortable. I'll take a couple pictures in the morning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you're right if you wanted to go with even bigger tires you could easily relocate those HVAC lines, been down that pinch weld and you could get a much larger tires on. or just remove them entirely I've never used the rear AC anyway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
you're right if you wanted to go with even bigger tires you could easily relocate those HVAC lines, been down that pinch weld and you could get a much larger tires on. or just remove them entirely I've never used the rear AC anyway.
That's crazy that you still have that much room with your lines still being there. I measure exactly 23" from hub center straight up to bottom of fender, my pinch weld is fully folded over so those lines are the ONLY thing holding me back- I've already trimmed the wheel-well liner around the lines. I have the same 1.5" spacers and OEM rims, not sure any difference between your rims and mine, though. Faulken Wildpeak 265/70s and I get about 1/2", maybe less, from the protective tray under the lines at the closest while turning; I don't want to get any closer than that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No idea bud! Do you have new struts? Mine give me another 1.5" of lift. That could be difference maker...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Oh ya, everything was new when I installed it all: struts, springs, upper and lower arms. It's had a few months to sag down, but now it's resting at exactly 23".
What's your hub to fender measurement and what tires? Those look like they are BFG AT KO2s? based off the specs on each mfg website, your's are only 0.3" taller than mine, so I could see where your set up is working for ya

1 - 18 of 18 Posts