Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people aen't a big fan of bigger rims on the commander, but I think if done correctly, they can look very good. With that said, does anyone know if 285/35/22 tires will fit on a commander without rubbing? The wheels I'm looking at are 22x9.5. Would I need to get spacers?

Thanks,

B.

·
Administrator
15,206 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sal,

I'd either leave it at stock height or possibly even lower it to give it a more aggressive, yet sporty look. I'm not looking to slam it and turn it into a ricer by any means, just make it sharp, sorta like the startech commander.

Also, I've read through many, many, many threads but I just don't know anything about offset, etc...so all of these threads describing this stuff makes no sense to me. I'm just looing for a simple answer...

If i had 22x9.5 wheels with a 15 offset and 285/35/22 tires, would that all work on my commander without rubbing? If so, would I be able to lower my commander a tad bit without rubbing? Or, would I need spacers, etc???

Thanks,

B.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Comparing that setup to my own, I think you may just be able to fit them in there. Your diameter is fine and your offset should be okay, I'd just be a hair nervous about the width. A 275 tire at your desired diameter sits about 1/4" from the UCA bolt without wheel spacers, and with a 2" lift just clears the inner fender plastic. Those extra few mm could mean the difference between rubbing there and on the fender during turns. With wheel spacers would definitely rub on the fender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Kansas. I've actually decided to go ahead and go with a 265/40/22 or 265/35/22 tire. It was explained that a 285/35/22 probably wasn't a good idea for those very reasons. Still debating on how short of a sidewall I really want though...

B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts