Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test fit with pics where trimming/pinch weld folding will be needed. Have no idea how much suspension movement during off-road or extreme terrain. The wheels are 17x8.5 with a +25 offset. MB Motoring Warrior with a Duratrac tire. It's tight! But seems do-able.

Wheel turned where trimming is needed:

Pinch weld area that needs modded. Light rubbing:

Looking down on pinch weld area:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Front offset view:

Top offset view:

Left front turned past rub area:

More pinch view:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure that 275/70-17's would not rub in either areas. I personally will have to go with 265/70-17(Duratracs), since they are already bought and paid and driven on. Again, for trails, not sure what areas to look for rubbing or clearence issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
you will rub even with 265/70r17's....us 4" guys rub with 285/70r17 i don't think it would work very well with a 2" lift...any slight suspension compression and ur already full stuffing ur tires

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
That is extremely tight and even it look ok standing, it will rub on trail and corners.

But you should have gone with 275/70 if you are sure it would not rub

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
you will rub even with 265/70r17's....us 4" guys rub with 285/70r17 i don't think it would work very well with a 2" lift...any slight suspension compression and ur already full stuffing ur tires
X2......

That's a close fit there with those 285's. If you were to hit a bump while slightly turning you would probablly rip off the fender flare. I agree that the 275/70's would be a better fit obviously since its smaller then the 285 but you would still have crazy rubbing issues up front that would need to be addressed with an angle grinder....lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just curious if your everyday "mall crawler" XK (yes, they are out there), that have a 2" lift who want the "Off road" look, and will most likely not take it to the trails, could get away with this size. Pending they do some "fabrication" work shown in the areas pictured.

For the trails, pending how "hardcore" one goes: this may not be the size for them.

I personally think they are VERY close, but they fit alot better than I thought they would.

·
Banned
68 Posts
go out and drive up a loading ramp to test them out. it will flex your suspension so you can see what will rub.

you could just add a spacer to the front for an extra .5" of lift.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RC-STP1-XK-WK&Category_Code=XKKITS

i've been considering that size for my next set of tires as well. are the tires still on the vehicle. anyway you can take an actual height measurement? measure with a straight edge across the top of the tire and down to the floor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There's no way. Your going to rub big time with more "normal" things then you think. You will tear up your flares eventually. You can't drive straight on even ground all the time. Go with the 4" or reduce your tire size, unless looking cool is more important than taking care of your vehicle, then just do what works for you. I rub with 285's and I have the Superlift.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no way. Your going to rub big time with more "normal" things then you think. You will tear up your flares eventually. You can't drive straight on even ground all the time. Go with the 4" or reduce your tire size, unless looking cool is more important than taking care of your vehicle, then just do what works for you. I rub with 285's and I have the Superlift.

Do me a favor and snap a picture showing how far your wheel/tire stick out from the fender and post it to this thread, I'd like to see it. Basically take a pic from the top of the fender straight down to the ground giving a top view.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Will do. I'm at the station today so it'll have to wait. By the way, I'm only running 8" wheels too, and still have some rubbing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Stormtrooper, I just read my prior post and it sounded like I was being a little harsh. I certainly didn't mean to sound that way. It's just I never thought I'd rub as much as I do after the 4" lift. I had to switch from 9" wide wheels to 8" wide wheels, same backspacing as you, and I still have more rubbing then I'd like. So that's what I meant about there being no way. Like I said, you can get away with it going in a straight line, but you'd be surprised how many little "normal" things you'll do and it will hit. I know you don't want to mess up your ride, although it looks cool as hell.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have more room than that and I rub the front of the fender flare and wheel liner. I am replacing the plastic rivets on the front of the flare/ liner / front bumper mating area. This setup will snap and pop when turning the wheels while moving at slow speeds such as back out of a parking space or any type of slow driving- it will be loud and turn peoples heads. If you plan on trimming a large chunk of the front the you might be ok but I would be ready for a lot noise and destruction with that tire size.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Firedude, it's all good. Did not take your post that way.

Your wheels are a 0 offset and have a 4.5 backspace. That is why they rub, even with a 4" lift. However
Because of the offset, they "stick" out from the fenders, and that does look very nice, especially with the lift! I want to see your pic, so I can see how much they stick out, compared to mine.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Stormtrooper, I just read my prior post and it sounded like I was being a little harsh. I certainly didn't mean to sound that way. It's just I never thought I'd rub as much as I do after the 4" lift. I had to switch from 9" wide wheels to 8" wide wheels, same backspacing as you, and I still have more rubbing then I'd like. So that's what I meant about there being no way. Like I said, you can get away with it going in a straight line, but you'd be surprised how many little "normal" things you'll do and it will hit. I know you don't want to mess up your ride, although it looks cool as hell.

The reason you still have a lot of rubbing is because you went from a 17x9 with 4.53 inches of back spacing to a 17x8 with 4.50 inches of back spacing. The back spacing on both wheels are almost identical, but due to the width of the wheels, they have different offsets. The 17x8's have +0mm offset and the 17x9's have -12mm offset. So the new wheels only make everything sit in a half inch further then the old ones. I just read your thread "New Wheels and Tires" and it looks like you thought the new wheels would make everything sit in an inch further then the old ones. I think someone gave you bad information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will do. I'm at the station today so it'll have to wait. By the way, I'm only running 8" wheels too, and still have some rubbing.

would you still rub if you were to add 1.5inch wheel spacers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts