Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Commander and part of that is that it was/is marketed as a family vehicle. However, my children are still in car seats, the oldest in a high back booster and the youngest in a 5 point harness seat. The head rests in the 2nd row make it almost impossible to install many seats. I have been given the go ahead to recline the seats back to make the 5 point install easier, but for the high back booster seat, this does not help. There is very little contact between the booster back and the seat back because the head rest pushes it forward. Since it does not install the same way a harnessed car seat does, I can't figure away to work around the seat and make it safe. I'm at a loss other than having a dealership remove the head rest on one side.

Does anyone know if this can be done, and if I do have it done can it later be replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Do you know if this is a permanent thing? I mean, can it be replaced without issue when the time comes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the diagram you gave me, my seats do not have a trim cap, or anything to press to release them. I have an 08 if that makes a difference? There is fabric only and when pulling the fabric back, all I see is a silver piece with springs and then a black plastic piece. I see no way to release the head rest.

HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Front Seats:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Second Row Seats:

There is a squeeze release button covered by the headrest fabric at the base of the headrest where the posts enter. The spring loaded release is at the rear of each post. Push it forward to release.

Easier access by flipping the seat forward until the headrest tilts forward, push the seat back up with the head rest now pointing forward. The button is now pointing up, so gently apply light pressure into the fabric of the headrest bottom and slide your finger down towards the rods attaching to the seat. While holding the button in, push the headrest off the posts.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Yah, that's the one I'm talking about that is not like my seats. I don't have trim caps with little release buttons.
That diagram is for the front seats. See post #8 for the 2nd row seats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear Seats:

There is a squeeze release button covered by the headrest fabric at the base of the headrest where the posts enter. The spring loaded release is at the rear of each post. Push it forward to release.

Easier access by flipping the seat forward until the headrest tilts forward, push the seat back up with the head rest now pointing forward. The button is now pointing up, so gently apply light pressure into the fabric of the headrest bottom and slide your finger down towards the rods attaching to the seat. While holding the button in, push the headrest off the posts.
Ah...k. Gonna try that now. So the steel things with the springs are the releases? I need to find this hidden button. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I got it. I don't know where that damn internet high five came from, but I'd sure as hell slap you one myself. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Ok, I got it. I don't know where that damn internet high five came from, but I'd sure as hell slap you one myself. Thanks!
Glad I could help !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts