Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone not been successful in releasing the latch that flips and tumbles the seats? What did you do after loosening(and removing) bolts and jarring the seats? Has anyone had to cut the seats out? I can barely reach the latches from the rear, hate to start cutting with the resulting sparks and maybe flames. I keep thinking there is some procedure or trick to getting them out. I need to access the ebrake connection under the middle seat to repair for inspection, and it
would be great for the seats to work also....thanks in advance for any time and consideration.

·
Registered
Dallas TX
114 Posts
@lamar.bradley.1946 .. if you cannot fold the seat with the lever on the side of the seat (i could not) here is what I had to do.
  • Undo the screw holding the lever on the side of the seat and remove the handle (mine was pretty tight)
  • remove the seat cover by pulling down on the edge and continue around. there is a plastic "lip" that holds it down.. the foam and cover can then be flipped back up against the seat back. use a bungee to hold up against the seat back
  • unbolt the little black box that all the cables run into and where the handle you removed was connected to (3 torx screws) its near the door and pretty obvious when you get the foam up
  • then you can open that box up (more torx), inside there are about six cables, i found one that was "loose"... grab that with pliers and pull and my seat folded down.
  • use the cloth strap to tumble forward (if you dont see it behind the seat you can can see it on the bottom of the metal seat pan)
  • then there are 8 -18mm bolts to be removed. 2 on the each "door" side of the seat, then 2 more on each side of the center seat section, the top ones are visible the lower ones are kinda hidden under the seat below the seat belt receiver. this
    Vehicle Motor vehicle Bag Personal luxury car Vehicle door
this is the little guy you are after. I used a strap on the seat to keep it from trying to flop open when I was removing it from the vehicle by myself.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,456 Posts
Has anyone not been successful in releasing the latch that flips and tumbles the seats? What did you do after loosening(and removing) bolts and jarring the seats? Has anyone had to cut the seats out? I can barely reach the latches from the rear, hate to start cutting with the resulting sparks and maybe flames. I keep thinking there is some procedure or trick to getting them out. I need to access the ebrake connection under the middle seat to repair for inspection, and it
would be great for the seats to work also....thanks in advance for any time and consideration.
Search on "Tumble" in the search box above -- lots of posts about this problem.

·
Registered
2006 Commander, 4.7, QTII
22 Posts
and when you get in there, you will likely find the brake cables have become disconnected. you may want to do something like this to prevent that from happening in future.

Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
Dallas TX
114 Posts
I like that Squash! Lamar any luck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts