Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:grin2:Hey all... I'm Jerry.. just picked up a 06 Limited w/ Hemi& QT-II.. 90k miles and really clean.. I say 2nd time around because I had leased a new 06' - 65 Anniversary Edition back in the day and have been kicking myself for not buying after the lease term... loved that thing... so, when I made the decision to get out of the new lease every two year trap about 4months ago, I said, the Commander is what I want and it's taken me 4 month to find the right one... now that I have this fantastic vehicle for merely 3days.. I've been searching the web to find some reasons for a couple issues I'm dealing with and figured joining the Commander Forum would be the best thing to do.. so, thanks in advance for any help, ideas, confirmation that I might receive... first issue... pulling out of the garage and making the sharp rightturn.. I get a shutter / vibration.. same thing turning left out of my driveway onto the street... by the time I get to work (30 miles), I pull into the parking space with tight left or right hand turns and it doesn't do itanymore.. sits for the 8 hours and when I leave work... a tight left turn out of the parking space.. it does it again... so, I've seen multiple reasons on various websites but the most common cure is to drain and replace the transfercase fluid.. I haven't done it yet to see if it works.. just want to get a consensus that this could be the fix.. I'm gonna do it anyway because I have no record that it's been done. What say all of you?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
:grin2:Hey all... I'm Jerry.. just picked up a 06 Limited w/ Hemi& QT-II.. 90k miles and really clean.. I say 2nd time around because I had leased a new 06' - 65 Anniversary Edition back in the day and have been kicking myself for not buying after the lease term... loved that thing... so, when I made the decision to get out of the new lease every two year trap about 4months ago, I said, the Commander is what I want and it's taken me 4 month to find the right one... now that I have this fantastic vehicle for merely 3days.. I've been searching the web to find some reasons for a couple issues I'm dealing with and figured joining the Commander Forum would be the best thing to do.. so, thanks in advance for any help, ideas, confirmation that I might receive... first issue... pulling out of the garage and making the sharp rightturn.. I get a shutter / vibration.. same thing turning left out of my driveway onto the street... by the time I get to work (30 miles), I pull into the parking space with tight left or right hand turns and it doesn't do itanymore.. sits for the 8 hours and when I leave work... a tight left turn out of the parking space.. it does it again... so, I've seen multiple reasons on various websites but the most common cure is to drain and replace the transfercase fluid.. I haven't done it yet to see if it works.. just want to get a consensus that this could be the fix.. I'm gonna do it anyway because I have no record that it's been done. What say all of you?
Jerry,

Welcome to the forum;

There are a few things I would do in your position;

First and foremost; Go to Chrysler's website, plug in your VIN and make sure all of your factory recalls have been completed;

Safety Recall Information | MOPAR

If there are any that are outstanding, get them completed before you do anything else.

Second; Find a reputable dealership and have them go through all of your normal routine maintenance items and get their assessment of what needs service/maintenance right now.

If you have any kind of service history for your Commander, that would definitely be helpful - if not, you just have to hit all of your normal maintenance items as your budget allows, until you get everything up to snuff;

Changing the Transfer case gear oil definitely falls under routine maintenance - if you are doing it yourself; make sure you use the gear oil that the factory specs call for - or you could wind up doing more harm then good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Big Blue.. no recalls... I did pick Commander up at a dealership so they did their "safety check" and replaced the sway bars, changed oil, fixed sensor on spare tire... ATF+4 for the Transfer Case Fluid... will change that this week and see how it goes... then make a list of the rest, will have to dig out my grease gun I think..

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Thanks for the advice Big Blue.. no recalls... I did pick Commander up at a dealership so they did their "safety check" and replaced the sway bars, changed oil, fixed sensor on spare tire... ATF+4 for the Transfer Case Fluid... will change that this week and see how it goes... then make a list of the rest, will have to dig out my grease gun I think..
Probably so Jerry;

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update to my original issue

Probably so Jerry;

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Just copied my reply post to Limited Slip Diff to post here... we had the same issue and I felt this is a important solution to be posted twice based on the countless number of postings that had the same unresolved issue... here it is below...

It looks like there are a few Commander owners with the same issue I'm experiencing with my 06 Commander w/QDii.. when cold, a little chatter from the front wheels turning sharp left and/or right.. goes away once driving a few miles and diff warmed up... initial consensus in my web searching was to replace the t-case fluid which I did yesterday and this morning.. same problem... so, I went back to the searching this morning and low and behold I think I may have found the issue based on this Google search (I'm not allowed to post links yet or I would have)... it'll come up, just tried it.. it's from The Transletter blog from Certified Transmission....

jeep-t-case-problem-check-the-axles

This is a must read if you have this same chatter that I'm experiencing and few other Commander QDii owners... kudos to Chris Adams, who wrote the article and through process of elimination and due diligence figured this out.. he discovered a malfunctioning front diff actuator solenoid.. part #5211 4003 AF-001... $68 on Amazon.. the only concern I haven't resolved yet is whether or not I can replace this myself, waiting to hear back from Chris to see... read the article and the follow up posts carefully and you'll know why. Good luck to all who tries this and have been searching for the solution...

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Just copied my reply post to Limited Slip Diff to post here... we had the same issue and I felt this is a important solution to be posted twice based on the countless number of postings that had the same unresolved issue... here it is below...

It looks like there are a few Commander owners with the same issue I'm experiencing with my 06 Commander w/QDii.. when cold, a little chatter from the front wheels turning sharp left and/or right.. goes away once driving a few miles and diff warmed up... initial consensus in my web searching was to replace the t-case fluid which I did yesterday and this morning.. same problem... so, I went back to the searching this morning and low and behold I think I may have found the issue based on this Google search (I'm not allowed to post links yet or I would have)... it'll come up, just tried it.. it's from The Transletter blog from Certified Transmission....

jeep-t-case-problem-check-the-axles

This is a must read if you have this same chatter that I'm experiencing and few other Commander QDii owners... kudos to Chris Adams, who wrote the article and through process of elimination and due diligence figured this out.. he discovered a malfunctioning front diff actuator solenoid.. part #5211 4003 AF-001... $68 on Amazon.. the only concern I haven't resolved yet is whether or not I can replace this myself, waiting to hear back from Chris to see... read the article and the follow up posts carefully and you'll know why. Good luck to all who tries this and have been searching for the solution...
Good information;

It would be helpful to get your post count up so you can post a link to the article.

You should only need one more post.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You mention using ATF+4 in the transfer case. That is not correct if you have a QDII with an NV245 transfer case. The only recommended fluid for the NV245 is Mopar Transfer case fluid part # 5016796AB, 5016796AC. Very important that you use the proper fluid in this particular transfer case. When the NV 245 needs the oil changed it can make some strange sounds especially when maneuvering at slow speed. Perhaps this is the noise you are hearing.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mention using ATF+4 in the transfer case. That is not correct if you have a QDII with an NV245 transfer case. The only recommended fluid for the NV245 is Mopar Transfer case fluid part # 5016796AB, 5016796AC. Very important that you use the proper fluid in this particular transfer case. When the NV 245 needs the oil changed it can make some strange sounds especially when maneuvering at slow speed. Perhaps this is the noise you are hearing.

Dan
Arghhhhh... you're right Dan... should have done just a little more research... that's certainly a lesson learned... well, I'll consider this maybe a "cleaning agent" and drain and refill with the correct fluid asap... I'll report back afterwards..

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Arghhhhh... you're right Dan... should have done just a little more research... that's certainly a lesson learned... well, I'll consider this maybe a "cleaning agent" and drain and refill with the correct fluid asap... I'll report back afterwards..
Jerry,

I understand that budget is a concern - but this is exactly why I opt to have my maintenance done at Chrysler.

So I don't make mistakes like this that can wind up causing larger issues down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear what you're saying BB.. I'll have to get to know my local CDJR service guys for any future difficult issues for sure.. these fluid changes aren't that bad... it's been a good 30 years since the days of swapping engines so that wrong fluid change I'll chalk up to being a little rusty.. but thanks to you guys on this forum.. no harm.. I'm not driving the Commander full time yet, still have 2 weeks on my lease before I turn it in for good.

I did change the t-case fluid again yesterday with the proper Mopar NV245/247/249 and limited slip additive along with the front diff using correct Mopar 75w-140 synthetic oil.. worse part was removing the skid plates... the rest took about an hour..

What this original post was about was the fact that I was getting the wheel shutter when making left or right turns when cold.. I did take it out this morning to work and still had the shutter but not as bad as before.. definitely goes away in a mile or so cause I can pull into a parking lot and do figure 8's and no shutter or chatter.. we'll see if it continues to do it once I leave work today. Might have to take it to the dealer to change out the actuator solenoid if it is still having this problem. I know I won't be able to do that myself.

Thanks for keeping me in line as I get back into the swing of things..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear what you're saying BB.. I'll have to get to know my local CDJR service guys for any future difficult issues for sure.. these fluid changes aren't that bad... it's been a good 30 years since the days of swapping engines so that wrong fluid change I'll chalk up to being a little rusty.. but thanks to you guys on this forum.. no harm.. I'm not driving the Commander full time yet, still have 2 weeks on my lease before I turn it in for good.

I did change the t-case fluid again yesterday with the proper Mopar NV245/247/249 and limited slip additive along with the front diff using correct Mopar 75w-140 synthetic oil.. worse part was removing the skid plates... the rest took about an hour..

What this original post was about was the fact that I was getting the wheel shutter when making left or right turns when cold.. I did take it out this morning to work and still had the shutter but not as bad as before.. definitely goes away in a mile or so cause I can pull into a parking lot and do figure 8's and no shutter or chatter.. we'll see if it continues to do it once I leave work today. Might have to take it to the dealer to change out the actuator solenoid if it is still having this problem. I know I won't be able to do that myself.

Thanks for keeping me in line as I get back into the swing of things..

took it out yesterday... Still getting the shutter/chatter when cold on left or right hand turns... going for the solenoid change in the front diff...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
took it out yesterday... Still getting the shutter/chatter when cold on left or right hand turns... going for the solenoid change in the front diff...
Changed the solenoid in the front diff... wasn't bad at all... took about 2 hours... best part is it SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!! Pulled out of the garage with a sharp right hand turn holding my breath and immediately... no more chatter/shuddering... so, if anyone has the same problem.. this is my recommendation and if you need some tips, just let me know.. peace out until next time!:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Changed the solenoid in the front diff... wasn't bad at all... took about 2 hours... best part is it SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!! Pulled out of the garage with a sharp right hand turn holding my breath and immediately... no more chatter/shuddering... so, if anyone has the same problem.. this is my recommendation and if you need some tips, just let me know.. peace out until next time!:smile2:
That's great news, congrats Jman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts