Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer to this question, but does anyone do lifts on their 2WD Commanders? I take my offroad pretty regularly and there are a few places that I can use at least two more inches of lift to clear (currently rely on the skidplates).

Anyone here run a lift on a 2WD Commander? If so, which lift?

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts
Quite a few members with 2WD have lifted their Commanders. Check out Oleblue27. I think he has either a 4" or 6" lift.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am currently at 2" and 34's at the moment. I ordered the 4" superlift about a month ago and it should be shipped to me by the end of the month. I have 6" rear coils, JBA uca's, rear fox shocks and rustys rear uca's that will be installed with it for a total of 6" of lift. I am 2wd and am regeared to 4.56 with a powertrax locker in the rear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
David are you 2wd or 4wd? What engine do you have

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bought 4.56 motive gears for our rear axle and the powertrax locker and got installed by a jeep offroad shop in Columbia about 3 hours away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How is your gas mileage after doing the gear change? Has it dropped a lot or just a small amount? My understanding from many others I've spoken to is that with a higher gear ratio such as 4.56 you'd be losing a lot in gas mileage, but for a trade you're getting much more power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How is your gas mileage after doing the gear change? Has it dropped a lot or just a small amount? My understanding from many others I've spoken to is that with a higher gear ratio such as 4.56 you'd be losing a lot in gas mileage, but for a trade you're getting much more power.
Re-gearing after moving to large tires should help improve gas mileage. You're basically gearing for the same load the engine saw when stock. Running big tires and not re-gearing will cause a drop in mileage. Of course, gearing doesn't put your mileage back to stock either. You always lose a little bit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm about 1mpg worse city/hwy. that's only cause the gears are too tall for my tires. When I upgrade to 36's my mileage should go up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been researching a 2" lift, especially after having to traverse some flood waters in Houston a few months ago. Would have a lot more confidence with the extra height. May do it after the new year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts