Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading to a 4x4

Alright so I bought a 2x4 Jeep and now want a 4x4.

Yes I know sell it and buy a 4x4! That's not going to happen, I have to much money in this one and love it, so please keep your options to yourself its my money!!

I have a 2008 XK 3.7l 2WD. I want to convert it to a 4x4. What parts do I need to do this. I would like the selectable transfer case as well.

I know I need all the front end parts, axle, shafts, and bearing units. Transfercase. What electronics to worry about.

Do i have to mod the transmission to work with a transfer case? And I will need to match the read axle to the front most likly 3.73.

And now I can't SFA it! I would like to but it's my wifes DD.

I can handle the swap I just need to know what I need to buy.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Starting from the rear to the front.

- Rear 3:73 gears if your interested. Stock 3:07's suck!!!!
- Rear drive shaft from a 4x4 commander
- Transfer Case, might as well get one out of a 4.7 or 5.7 commander so you have 4 Low
- Transmission, or swap out the tail shafts so it can bolt onto the t-case and function properly
- Front drive shaft
- Front differential and brackets (again with 3.73 gears if interested)
- CV Axles
- Spindles/steering knuckles from a 4x4
- front suspension
- Front wheel bearing/hub
- Rotors/Brakes????? Not sure on this, would have to check them out
- Computer or PCM (whatever they want to call it) out of a 4x4 commander depending on what t-case you go with.
- Wiring harness out of a 4x4
- center console out of a 4x4 commander with t-handle to engage 4 low

Off the top of my head thats all I can think of. It wouldnt be hard at all to make your XK 4 wheel drive. I could probablly do it in about two days tops.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's a silly idea for a vehicle that is this new and easily available to purchase in any configuration you want.

It's WAY cheaper to buy a 4X4 ... what you will need is an entire 4X4 Commander of the same year (like from a wrecking yard, maybe a rolled one?)

When you are done you should (or would be well advised to) re-register it as a "Substantially Re-Built Vehicle" and have it re-certified by a shop that specifically handles Re-Built Vehicle recertification ...

... If you do not your insurance could screw you over big time if you get in an accident, it's also might make it very hard to resell the Commander too, no matter which way you go.

I converted a 2X4 Chevy Pickup into 4X4 ... But I used the registration from the 4X4 parts truck and still got it certified as a re-built, at the time I already owned both trucks and unlimited time on my hands, or else it would not have been feasible.

With the Commander you're going to be dragging that big back axle, the 4X4 one uses a light back axle .. that alone will be burning up more gas, (read costing you more than a new truck by the time you get rid of it) ...

I think you will need the computer from the 4X4 too, unless the existing one can be flashed to suit whatever 4X4 drive system is in the parts truck, there's a host of sensors that are not in the 2X4 too or are different.

Seriously ... just trade up once you have the money out of your existing truck ... or put a winch on it, 90% of trails most people drive on can be run in 2X4 anyway

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Betcha when its done you coulda bought 2 Commanders for what was spent.

Rob
It really doesnt cost as much as people think it does. Especially when you do the install yourself. All he needs is the parts listed above which if he looks around hard enough he can find for extremely cheap. There are many wrecked commanders out there that he can salvage parts off of.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Seriously ... just trade up once you have the money out of your existing truck ... or put a winch on it, 90% of trails most people drive on can be run in 2X4 anyway
Im not sure what type of trails you off road on but you wouldnt make it down the trails I go down with a 4x2 Commander.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Im not sure what type of trails you off road on but you wouldnt make it down the trails I go down with a 4x2 Commander.
Your probably right!

I am not sure on the electrics I'll look on alldata and see how they are wired, but I wanted to just buy used parts. But it maybe cheaper just to get the whole thing then sell what I don't need.

I have my eye out for a complete Xk or WK. I would like a wrecked CRD WK and get everything including the diesel.

I found a wrecked 07 XK 4.7l they wanted only wanted $3900 for it but it's a 2wd.

I'll post up when I buy a wrecked one!:)

I am not going to sell it ever, way to upside down, and they don't have the configuration I want! The 3.0L diesel!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't the front spindles and suspension the same 2wd to 4wd? They look to be.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am not going to sell it ever, way to upside down, and they don't have the configuration I want! The 3.0L diesel!!!
It's funny because some people just dont understand. Not everyone is as fortunate as they are to be able to drop thousands of dollars down on their vehicle when they purchase them. A lot of people end up rolling over money from their previous vehicle into the new vehicles loan. Depending on how much is rolled over you could still be paying on the old vehicle for the first year or so that you own the new vehicle. Since vehicles are constantly depreciating, you will be in the hole until the vehicle is practically paid off. With this being said, not everyone can afford to sell there vehicles just to be able to go out and buy a new one with the options the original one lacked.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Isn't the front spindles and suspension the same 2wd to 4wd? They look to be.
Im not exactly sure about the spindles. Take a picture of yours and ill let you know if they are the same.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ahhhh ... same here .. but that only means we are both in the that other 10% :)

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Betcha when its done you coulda bought 2 Commanders for what was spent.

Rob
I agree... and maybe even 3 Commanders. This is not an old-school vehicle with purely mechanical systems, so it's not as easy as finding the parts and swapping them in. The integration of the electronics alone would be an absolute nightmare when trying to convert 2wd to 4wd.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree... and maybe even 3 Commanders. This is not an old-school vehicle with purely mechanical systems, so it's not as easy as finding the parts and swapping them in. The integration of the electronics alone would be an absolute nightmare when trying to convert 2wd to 4wd.
I am not to worried about the electronics or computers. I have done several GM LSx swaps into different cars. My wife won't let me put a 6.0L in it! :rofl:

It shouldn't be that hard if you had a donor even a WK.

But I actually like the 3.7L its just the 3.07 blows! But we get 20mpg easy hwy and have avg 18 mpg in mixed driving. I haven't towed anything heavy yet thought.

07JeepXK I'll post a picture tomorrow. They look like 4wd as they have a place perfect for the CV's.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

Just because you couldnt physically do it doesnt mean other people cant. It really wouldnt be any harder then any of the other vehicles I have swapped over to 4wd. And yes, a mojority of the work would be finding the parts and swapping them in. As far as the electronics, he would need to get his hands on a computer out of a similar vehicle with 4wd along with the complete wiring harness. From there its to easy!

07JeepXK I'll post a picture tomorrow. They look like 4wd as they have a place perfect for the CV's.

I looked online and it seems there is only one part number for the spindles. So that leads me to believe yours will work.

Ahhhh ... same here .. but that only means we are both in the that other 10% :)
Give me a few months and most 4x4 commanders wont be able to make it down the same trails as me!

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Just because you couldnt physically do it doesnt mean other people cant. It really wouldnt be any harder then any of the other vehicles I have swapped over to 4wd. And yes, a mojority of the work would be finding the parts and swapping them in. As far as the electronics, he would need to get his hands on a computer out of a similar vehicle with 4wd along with the complete wiring harness. From there its to easy!
I didn't say I couldn't do it.... I could actually do it in my garage at home. I'm still an ASE certified Master Technician (I continue to maintain my ASE credentials) although I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore. I've actually done this before (not on a Commander) on a much simpler vehicle and there's more to it than meets the eye. The only reason I even attempted it before is because it was a rare vehicle--an International Scout that was otherwise in brand new condition.

The problem is not whether or not it can be done.....the problem is the amount of money required to do it. Anyone who has ever attempted this knows that it makes more sense to sell the 2wd vehicle and buy a 4wd vehicle from a dollars and cents perspective, especially if you're talking about a vehicle that is not rare and hard to find. The only way possible to do this type of conversion without paying A LOT of money is to have a donor Commander available, but then why swap anything over if you already own a 4wd Commander?

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Bo185,

Before you actually spend any money gathering parts, do yourself a HUGE favor and start researching the electronics. Pay particular attention to the way the powertrain control modules are integrated into the 4wd system. This vehicle has a CAN bus (as does just about every other new vehicle today), which means that it's not just as simple as swapping in a computer and harness and crossing your fingers that everything will work. Trust me and really research this before you spend any money. A good place to start would be the shop manual schematics.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If I read his first post correctly, he asked what parts he would need to sucessfully swap 4wd into his commander. He specifically stated that he isn't going to sell his commander and that he wants everyone to keep their opinions the themselves as it is his money.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
If I read his first post correctly, he asked what parts he would need to sucessfully swap 4wd into his commander. He specifically stated that he isn't going to sell his commander and that he wants everyone to keep their opinions the themselves as it is his money.
Hey, I'm just trying to help the guy out (as are others who stated similar opinions) by letting him know that it' not going to just be expensive, but it might actually be a nightmare to get everything to work properly.

I'm not trying to discourage him from spending his money...afterall, it's HIS money. If he wants to do the conversion, then that's great. I hope he creates a thread and posts his story & pictures for all of us to read along. I hope he proves me wrong and completes the swap without any issues and without breaking the bank! But we'll see....

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It sounds like he has his head on straight and knows what he's getting himself into.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I didn't say I couldn't do it.... I could actually do it in my garage at home. I'm still an ASE certified Master Technician (I continue to maintain my ASE credentials) although I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore. I've actually done this before (not on a Commander) on a much simpler vehicle and there's more to it than meets the eye. The only reason I even attempted it before is because it was a rare vehicle--an International Scout that was otherwise in brand new condition.

The problem is not whether or not it can be done.....the problem is the amount of money required to do it. Anyone who has ever attempted this knows that it makes more sense to sell the 2wd vehicle and buy a 4wd vehicle from a dollars and cents perspective, especially if you're talking about a vehicle that is not rare and hard to find. The only way possible to do this type of conversion without paying A LOT of money is to have a donor Commander available, but then why swap anything over if you already own a 4wd Commander?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts