Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I actually MISSED the part about money being no object .. in that case I agree it's certainly do-able ... time being the only factor really.

Hopefully we can see some pics of the swap when the time comes

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I think the only part of the job that cannot be done would be hooking the computer up to the starscan and doing the configuration on either the old or new computer (depending on how you need to work the electronics).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Do you mean it cant be done at all or do you mean its something he cant do himself and would have to take it to the dealer for them to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I didn't say I couldn't do it.... I could actually do it in my garage at home. I'm still an ASE certified Master Technician (I continue to maintain my ASE credentials) although I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore. I've actually done this before (not on a Commander) on a much simpler vehicle and there's more to it than meets the eye. The only reason I even attempted it before is because it was a rare vehicle--an International Scout that was otherwise in brand new condition.

The problem is not whether or not it can be done.....the problem is the amount of money required to do it. Anyone who has ever attempted this knows that it makes more sense to sell the 2wd vehicle and buy a 4wd vehicle from a dollars and cents perspective, especially if you're talking about a vehicle that is not rare and hard to find. The only way possible to do this type of conversion without paying A LOT of money is to have a donor Commander available, but then why swap anything over if you already own a 4wd Commander?
I actually own an Scout II with a 6.0L chevy swapped in lieu of the 345! It runs off a Cann Bus. I work as an A&P Jet Mechanic. If I can fix a 27 million dollor plane a $40,000 Jeep isn't that much harder!

Mostly what I am worried about is the starscan. I would have to find a deal that would help. The one I have used for service (watt. stuff) Chrysler closed down in March!

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Do you mean it cant be done at all or do you mean its something he cant do himself and would have to take it to the dealer for them to do.
I mean that the computer programming is the only part that will have to be done at the dealer. All the parts swapping and fab work he could do. It is something that most of us could probably do as long as we had the $$$. Anything can be done without a cash restriction. Take the AEV Commander for example. If you have a lot of money laying around waiting to be spent then you could build an XK from the ground up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It should be a bolt in swap if I had a donor vehicle.

If I find a wrecked XK that wasn't to bad I could take what parts I need and make a trail rig out of the wrecked one! SFA swap, one tons and 35's or 38'' tires!

I have even thought about using the front diff and CV and seeing what part time two speed transfer case would bolt to the trans I have. Then all I would have is to install a shifter in the console. With that basically the only thing electrical need need might be a VSS moved to the transfer case. I can get a front diff for $500 bucks and CV used for $200. That's not to bad.

Really the only problem electrically is the transfer case. I would like the NV245 with the low. And these came in the 4x4 3.7L as well???

I'll start doing some more reseach.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Really the only problem electrically is the transfer case. I would like the NV245 with the low. And these came in the 4x4 3.7L as well???

I'll start doing some more reseach.

The 3.7 L 4x4 comes with the NV140 T-Case

The 4.7 L and 5.7 L are the ones that come with the NV245 Case with 4 Low.

It might be a little work to get a NV245 setup to run with your motor but im sure it can be done. If not I have a 4.7 L that Id be willing to sell you for the right price. Haha I could use a little more power and would love to be the first on the forum to swap in a 6.1 Liter.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
One of these days Id love to cut off the IFS and install a SFA. If that were to ever happen and you havent found your donor XK by then ill sell you all my parts for cheap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The 3.7 L 4x4 comes with the NVG140 T-Case

The 4.7 L and 5.7 L are the ones that come with the NVG245 Case with 4 Low.

It might be a little work to get a NVG245 setup to run with your motor but im sure it can be done. If not I have a 4.7 L that Id be willing to sell you for the right price. Haha I could use a little more power and would love to be the first on the forum to swap in a 6.1 Liter.[/QUOTE]

This said the NV245 was optional on 3.7L with QDII
http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_specs.htm

No dice on the 4.7L! I know V6 to V8 swap's are a money pit! But, If I get a whole vehicle and the engines good (low miles) I might swap it was well.

It'll be a while and mostly will boil down to if I can find the right donor truck.

Does anyone have complete wiring prints for free, before I buy some.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Of course you realize that installing a modern engine and engine electronics into an older vehicle that never had them in the first place isn't the same thing, right?nothing to worry about it terms of electronics. But in your case the Commander is a thouroughly modern vehicle and it's electronics are extremely integrated. It sounds like you're confident enough in your own skills to pull the job off. All I can say at this point is good luck and keep us updated on your progress. It will be interesting to see your steps along the way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
One of these days Id love to cut off the IFS and install a SFA. If that were to ever happen and you havent found your donor XK by then ill sell you all my parts for cheap.
Since the trucks are uni- body, if the front suspension wasn't damaged all I would have to do is un-bolt the subframe, all connections. And bolt on to miine hell leave the motor on the subffame.

On the SFA it should be that hard but looks like could leave the sub frame but might have to cut it up some! Oh and yes it crossed my mind to SFA it when I looked under it the first day I bought it. The wife just won't let me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Of course you realize that installing a modern engine and engine electronics into an older vehicle that never had them in the first place isn't the same thing, right?nothing to worry about it terms of electronics. But in your case the Commander is a thouroughly modern vehicle and it's electronics are extremely integrated. It sounds like you're confident enough in your own skills to pull the job off. All I can say at this point is good luck and keep us updated on your progress. It will be interesting to see your steps along the way.
The Commander is very integrated way more then GM stuff, which is what I mostly work on and know.

I installed the factory tow harness. It wouldn't even work till i had a tech at the dealer starscan it and tune it on in the BCM. It's almost like the Computer need the port turned on to recognize it.

Really, if I keep it as factory as I can I think I will be OK.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It looks identical to mine. Other then you missing the cv-axles.

I wish I lived closer. Id love to help you out with the swap!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It looks identical to mine. Other then you missing the cv-axles.

I wish I lived closer. Id love to help you out with the swap!
OK after lots of searching it looks like the QT I NV140 swap is a bolt in setup as I don't think it has any electric hookups on it at all. It looks could do this for $1000 buck based on parts off car-part.com and e-bay. This doesn't incluead having to mod the transmission and cross member for a transfer case

But that's not much better than 2wd!

But the NV245 is another matter but not impossible.

Found this on a WK forum
based on reading the shop manual schematics, the only unit that 4lo switch reports to is the Final drive Control Module. that is what controls the t-case. un fortunately what the manual does not tell me is where that FDCM is located in the car, so i can see if the wiring is in the harness for it. i also need to get under the car to see if the wiring is present at the t-case location.

i do know the 4lo switch wiring harness is there and ready to go, and i have the naw shifter ready to go in, next step is to get a brain box, and determine weather the wiring is present or if i need to add it, in which case i will need to source a harness.
So what I have seen on all data to run the NV245 I have to add the 4L button to the shifter, and add the Final Drive Control Module and all wiring! Maybe a tune as well.

SO it looks like physically all the hard parts will run no more than $1500 bucks out right. Maybe another 500 buck it the trans has to be moded to the 4wd version.

Alldata's wiring diagrams covering the XK blow!
I need wiring diagrams for the QD II 3.7L NV245 trucks. Also I would need the plugs for all connectors. I might go by the local salvage yard and see if what they have might get lucky.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
This said the NV245 was optional on 3.7L with QDII
http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_specs.htm

No dice on the 4.7L! I know V6 to V8 swap's are a money pit! But, If I get a whole vehicle and the engines good (low miles) I might swap it was well.

It'll be a while and mostly will boil down to if I can find the right donor truck.

Does anyone have complete wiring prints for free, before I buy some.
Thats weird. I have yet to see a 3.7 Liter with a NV245. Also I think you meant QT II and not QD II. I know for a fact that they dont make the 3.7 Liter with QD II.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thats weird. I have yet to see a 3.7 Liter with a NVG245. Also I think you meant QT II and not QD II. I know for a fact that they dont make the 3.7 Liter with QD II.
Which ever one is with out the ELS diffs. Sorry I was shooting from the hip.

Car-part.com listed the NV245 as an option with the 3.7L in the WK. Plus I think I seen at Jeep.com on the new ones as well.

Could you take a picture of the Final drive Control Module it's located right under the rear seat behind the driver, flip the rear seat fwd and its under a cover.

Also, how many connectors are on the NV245?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Man would the QT I NV140, with a rear LS/locker, and 3.73 gears be worth it? It would be alot easier.

After thinking this my wife rig and we would see minor trails. Nothing to bad and some mud. Really want some thing the kids can all go and have fun as well.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Could you take a picture of the Final drive Control Module it's located right under the rear seat behind the driver, flip the rear seat fwd and its under a cover.

Also, how many connectors are on the NV245?

Thanks!
I can take some pictures of the Final Drive Control Module tomorrow. Also Id have to look to see how many connectors there are on the NV245

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Man would the QT I NV140, with a rear LS/locker, and 3.73 gears be worth it? It would be alot easier.

After thinking this my wife rig and we would see minor trails. Nothing to bad and some mud. Really want some thing the kids can all go and have fun as well.

If all you plan on doing is minor trails then I guess it would be fine. I just couldnt imagine not having 4 low in my Commander though.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts