Jeep Commander Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
There's a guy who went on the Colorado trip recently who had that 4wd system. He ended up having to get winched up a hill because he didn't have 4wd Low and his transmission overheated. I'm really surprised that Jeep even offers a 4wd system without low. Seriously...isn't that something you expect on a crossover SUV, but not on a traditional SUV?

·
Registered
213 Posts
TR4Runner you bring up a good point. I have the 3.7 and QTI and have been researching the option to change to QTII.
QTI has done well so far and I have challenged it's capabilities, but it's always in the back of my mind to not get into trouble, knowing it's limits.
At this point I have abandoned the idea and am looking for a new to me 4.7 QTII. Found (1) 07 recently with under 50,000 miles on it for $18,000.
Below is a thread on another option.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9511

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
There's a guy who went on the Colorado trip recently who had that 4wd system. He ended up having to get winched up a hill because he didn't have 4wd Low and his transmission overheated. I'm really surprised that Jeep even offers a 4wd system without low. Seriously...isn't that something you expect on a crossover SUV, but not on a traditional SUV?
THe biggest down fall is not being able to lock the front and rear together. 4high is fine with a regular transfercase. But the full time NV140 isn't locked together and it will slip that's the only problem with the 4h in the full time transfercase that kinda holds me back.

Its not really an off road 4wd system. I think it would be OK for light trails and snow and ice.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
So why not go to something like they had in the older ZJ grand cherokee. It was a t-case that had both a 4hi and 4lo and also a fulltime 4hi or 2hi (I forget the number of the case). It would be possible to have an adapter made to connect the XK trans to that t-case. And if the shafts do not match up then you could either have a different input shaft put in the t-case or or get a reduction gear in between that will work and then you can have a nice low range, pretty much like a doubler setup. From there you can run the axles as you wish and you will just need some new drive shafts but you would need them anyway.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So why not go to something like they had in the older ZJ grand cherokee. It was a t-case that had both a 4hi and 4lo and also a fulltime 4hi or 2hi (I forget the number of the case). It would be possible to have an adapter made to connect the XK trans to that t-case. And if the shafts do not match up then you could either have a different input shaft put in the t-case or or get a reduction gear in between that will work and then you can have a nice low range, pretty much like a doubler setup. From there you can run the axles as you wish and you will just need some new drive shafts but you would need them anyway.
Thats what was think about doing is adding a part time case and mount the shifter next to the auto shifter. Since there is no sensors in the transfer case of the NV140.

So anyone know what bolt pattern the NV140 and NV245? I could use one of those stock adapters. Then swap the front drive stuff and mod stock drive shafts to work with a part time case.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well not good the 2wd W5A580 transmission is a one piece case. Looks like the 4x4 ones are totally different! So i would need a 4x4 trans as well. That maybe the show stopper.

I didn't really want to have to change trans. as I hate to lose the watt. since it only has 30,000 miles on it now and I bet Chrysler wouldn't watt. anything after converting to 4x4.

It's not totally done. But I'll keep my eye out for a whole truck.

Thanks for everyone's ideas!!!
-Scott

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
That sucks. I was looking forward to seeing your build up thread. I kind of figured that you would need a new tranny.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
That sucks. I was looking forward to seeing your build up thread. I kind of figured that you would need a new tranny.
It's not totally dead. But it does make buying the parts expensive as I would need a $1000 bucks for a decent trans. But guess I would sell the 2wd one.

About the only way I would do this is if I found a cheap wrecked XK or WK and could get the whole system, my be even the motor, if it was a Hemi or even a :bowdown: CRD.

Still would like some wiring prints of the complete 4x4 OT II and OD systems. But can't find any and Alldata doesn't ave very good ones.

If anyone needs parts heres a great site to locate and find what you need. Car-part.com

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Well, I was hoping to see the end result of this project, so I hope it's not dead in the water. I thought cost wasn't a consideration?

I dont think he ever said that money isn't an issue. He said that its his money and doesnt want others opinions and just a list of the parts needed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well, I was hoping to see the end result of this project, so I hope it's not dead in the water. I thought cost wasn't a consideration?
I said I have to much money in the Jeep. IE I owe to much to trade in! I figure I could do the swap for $2500 with the NV245.

But, right now its dead till at least tax time. And find wiring diagrams.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter much now anyway because it seems to be too expensive, which was something I mentioned earlier (and was told to keep my opinion to myself, LOL). For anyone else considering this type of project, it seems like a good idea to use a dollar and cents approach and figure out if trading in the 2wd vehicle for a similar 4wd vehicle would actually be less expensive than modifying the existing 2wd vehicle instead.

Some day I'm sure someone will do it...and I'd really like to see the end result!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Doesn't seem to matter much now anyway because it seems to be too expensive, which was something I mentioned earlier (and was told to keep my opinion to myself, LOL). For anyone else considering this type of project, it seems like a good idea to use a dollar and cents approach and figure out if trading in the 2wd vehicle for a similar 4wd vehicle would actually be less expensive than modifying the existing 2wd vehicle instead.

Some day I'm sure someone will do it...and I'd really like to see the end result!
For me its too expensive to trade up! I am over 10,000 grand upside down. So even it if I spent $5 grand out of pocket on a hemi motor/4x4 swap I would still be ok and not have a higher monthly payment. Only downside is a loss of the lifetime watt. on the drivetrain.

It's not to much money, its finding the wiring prints for the NV245. I don't want to spend x amount and end up with OTI! I have yet to go beg the dealer for diagrams.

Phisically, it's a bolt in swap with the right parts to add OTII. And wiring the NV245 doesn't look to hard. OT II would be worth the swap.

Just adding OTI would be a waste IMO. As it's not much better than 2wd. Granted its a complete bolt in swap. Since the transfer case has no electrical connections.

If someone has access to wiring prints for the OTII place PM or email me [email protected]

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
are you near denver at all?

check out

www.klode.com

they are a company that auctions off insurance write off's. i check it once a month. they usually have about 5 commanders. private buyers can go. find a hemi. rip everything out of the donor and swap it over.

i'm saving my pennies to pick up a smashed rubicon for all of its parts except the body, tranny and motor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
are you near denver at all?

check out

www.klode.com

they are a company that auctions off insurance write off's. i check it once a month. they usually have about 5 commanders. private buyers can go. find a hemi. rip everything out of the donor and swap it over.

i'm saving my pennies to pick up a smashed rubicon for all of its parts except the body, tranny and motor.
I am in AR.

How much do they usually go for, might be worth a trip? Some of them don't look to bad!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finally found the wiring prints online.

So if you have QTI and want OTII for the wiring it looks pretty simple. And QD looks easy as well if you have the diffs as well.

You will need the NV245 transfercase, 4lwo handle, finial drive module. And make the wiring connections. Doesn't look that hard to do

Looks like everything routes to the FDM then connects to the Can BUS. I bet you might have to enable something in the BCM as well for QTII and most likly for QD. Might have to ask the dealer on that one.

I have the complete 08 wiring prints. But can't get the pdf to upload to an attachment.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
But I actually like the 3.7L its just the 3.07 blows! But we get 20mpg easy hwy and have avg 18 mpg in mixed driving. I haven't towed anything heavy yet thought.
Somehow I missed this thread and haven't read the whole thing. I hope this works out for you. Sounds like you know what you're getting into. I would be concerned about this needing a 'salvage title' when you're done and what that might do to your insurance.

Regarding gas mileage on the 3.7L and your upgrade. Keep in mind the 3.07 adds to your ability to get better mileage. Also, in my 4wd Hemi, before I put a lift and taller, heavier tires on it, I got about 20 mpg on the highway when I took it easy. But it took a big hit with the heavier tires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Somehow I missed this thread and haven't read the whole thing. I hope this works out for you. Sounds like you know what you're getting into. I would be concerned about this needing a 'salvage title' when you're done and what that might do to your insurance.
:icon_confused: A "salvage title" Is issued in most states after and insure claim total loss. If you had a wreck and fix it no one would ever know anything happened unless there was a police report or ins. claim . So it won't be a "salvage" just for adding a few parts that are basically stock. Its no different from any other mod such as a bumper or motor swap. I would tell the ins its 4x4, but they would know the difference unless they ran the VIN. The main thing is I would lose the "lifetime" power train warranty through Chrysler.

Regarding gas mileage on the 3.7L and your upgrade. Keep in mind the 3.07 adds to your ability to get better mileage. Also, in my 4wd Hemi, before I put a lift and taller, heavier tires on it, I got about 20 mpg on the highway when I took it easy. But it took a big hit with the heavier tires.
Ah its a truck. It only gets 15mpg avg. anyway when my wife drives it! :) The 3.07's are really bad even 3.55 would be better. The trans as a poor OD gear.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Sounds good, Bo. I hope you can put this together. I think we'ld all like to see you make a project thread, watch the progress and see the results.

Maybe you could buy a crashed Commander for parts and then sell any parts you don't use to others on the forum...somebody will want a Hemi.

Good luck.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts