Jeep Commander Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Sounds good, Bo. I hope you can put this together. I think we'ld all like to see you make a project thread, watch the progress and see the results.

Maybe you could buy a crashed Commander for parts and then sell any parts you don't use to others on the forum...somebody will want a Hemi.

Good luck.
If I find a hemi command I would keep the Hemi! :bouncy: Right now thats my best bet is to find a wrecked one. As I could get the harness as well as everything.

But I was really, been, looking for a WK 4x4 with the 3.0L CRD to swap in place of the 3.7L.

We'll see. I'll post a new thread if I find the right Commander to swap parts from.

·
Registered
862 Posts
There's a guy who went on the Colorado trip recently who had that 4wd system. He ended up having to get winched up a hill because he didn't have 4wd Low and his transmission overheated. I'm really surprised that Jeep even offers a 4wd system without low. Seriously...isn't that something you expect on a crossover SUV, but not on a traditional SUV?
I was waiting on top of Imogene Pass with the rest of the group while he was winched past a bad spot. (A 40 degree slope about 50~75 feet long) It overheated because we had been driving for a solid 45 minutes up a road steep enough to made you rock back in your seat like a La-Z-Boy recliner. It's too rough 'n' rocky to go any kind of real speed, so in high range, it's all torque converter slippage and minimal air flow 'til the tranny goes off the map in temp. The computer shut him down, and things were fine 'n' dandy again once things cooled off. The winch job was because we got impatient. :D A 20 minute wait, and he could've just completed the climb up.

It's Mopar marketing at its finest. Make a decent luxury rig for off roading, then drop a model down to entry level with stuff like a single mode X-fer case and V6 just to gain a few more buyers. IMHO, the lowest available trim level of a Commander should have been a QTII system, even if they kept the V6. Even the transmission is different (and lighter duty) in the V6, probably adding to the overheating problem.

Another good reason for low range is control on a down slope. With high range, you depend almost 100% on brakes which is nuts. The 1st gear, low range speed is only about 5 MPH max in the XK, so you can let 'er do its own thing on a steep downhill run without worry. AND... you have much better control with differentials doing their thing as opposed to dragging brakes.

Years ago, our company had a Vemco converted Ford E-350 van. It also had a single mode transfer case. It was a great system otherwise, and was known as a ''chicken foot'' 4x4 system. That's because the rear driveshaft went back to a solid axle, but two drive shafts went to each side of an IFS front axle, forming a Y of sorts underneath. It had limited slip with full time 4x4. But... it suffered from the same overheating problems going to remote radios sites. You just can't climb rediculously steep slopes in a high range 1st gear that will do 35 MPH, for more than a few hundred yards. And... it was also a ''death ride'' down steep hills. :grim:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Years ago, our company had a Vemco converted Ford E-350 van. It also had a single mode transfer case. It was a great system otherwise, and was known as a ''chicken foot'' 4x4 system.

That's some vintage stuff! .... That must have been a truck from the 60's was it?

·
Registered
862 Posts
It was late 80's or early 90's, but I'm pretty sure it was an '89. Vemco has long since folded. It was a nice conversion, but a low range transfer case would've really made an off road machine out of it. It did ride nice with that IFS front end. It had a tall stance too.

The company has all GM Duramax stuff now, with one Ford Excursion diesel left. The main mountain top truck is a 3/4 ton extended cab with a service body. We added a slide-out Johnny bed tray to the back, (A giant drawer with 1,000 lb. capacity) so we don't have to crawl in to reach stuff.

I'd take my XK any time over the truck since it'll beat you to death. :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It was late 80's or early 90's, but I'm pretty sure it was an '89. Vemco has long since folded. It was a nice conversion, but a low range transfer case would've really made an off road machine out of it. It did ride nice with that IFS front end. It sat tall too.
Maybe I am thinking of a similar company that was much older ... I'll look later I have an old copy of Off Road Digest somehwere that highlighted a Ford IFS conversion .. I thought it was from the last 60's though, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello, i am wanting to convert my 2 wheel drive 06 3.7l to a 4 wheel drive. has anybody done this or know of all the parts needed and any hints or tips out there. any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
16,218 Posts
It would be cheaper to trade it for a 4WD.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think I recall this question coming up before but I don't think anyone has done it. I know I would not attempt it but that doesn't mean it isn't possible. I expect Jeep5253 is right about trading it in being cheaper.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Fly me to where you live and ill do the swap for you! Its definately going to cost a lot due to all of the parts needed, but i'll do the actual install for free. I can use a vacation....lol

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Any Updates?
Do you want to convert your XK to 4x4? No one has done it yet so you can be the guinea pig. Ill even help you out!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
No updates, really haven't thought about it lately. Did do a ball park estimate. To convert to AWD QtII was $1500 bucks. That's not selling may 2wd trans either to recoupe cost. Physically other than having to swap trans its a pretty easy swap. QTI even easier.

·
Premium Member
12,558 Posts
Threads merged!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wondering...

Do you want to convert your XK to 4x4? No one has done it yet so you can be the guinea pig. Ill even help you out!!!!!!
Just found this thread and read through it. I have an 08 XK that was purchased in Georgia and is two wheel drive. We have relocated to West Virginia and now wondering about this very thing. Really need four wheel drive up here for winters. The darn thing is about paid for so I don't want to run out and get into another monthly payment situation with a new one and it's a nice vehicle. Are we talking $2500, $5000, $10,000 to do this type of thing and what type of shop can I find to do it?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'd start calling around to junk yards, see if you can find a wrecked 4x4 Commander, work a deal with the junk yard to swap parts, and do all the work yourself, that would be the only cost practical way to do it. If you're going to buy the parts new/rebuilt and pay someone to install them, I'm going to guess $5000-$8000.

I didn't read the whole thread, perhaps someone along the 8 pages had a better estimate or an actual experience to give better info.

Keep in mind the XFR cases do NOT bolt up to the RWD versions of the Transmissions, the 2WD and 4WD trans cases have different cases cast for them, so you would need the entire new drivetrain, minus the rear axle and engine. You'll also need all the electronics, and if you buy them new you'll have to spend time at the dealership initiating and enabling the electronics.

·
Registered
2008 Commander 5.7L V-8 2WD
8 Posts
I didn't say I couldn't do it.... I could actually do it in my garage at home. I'm still an ASE certified Master Technician (I continue to maintain my ASE credentials) although I don't turn wrenches for a living anymore. I've actually done this before (not on a Commander) on a much simpler vehicle and there's more to it than meets the eye. The only reason I even attempted it before is because it was a rare vehicle--an International Scout that was otherwise in brand new condition.

The problem is not whether or not it can be done.....the problem is the amount of money required to do it. Anyone who has ever attempted this knows that it makes more sense to sell the 2wd vehicle and buy a 4wd vehicle from a dollars and cents perspective, especially if you're talking about a vehicle that is not rare and hard to find. The only way possible to do this type of conversion without paying A LOT of money is to have a donor Commander available, but then why swap anything over if you already own a 4wd Commander?
May be donor is crashed/rolled... means less expensive, bot cannot drive it!!!

·
Registered
2008 Commander 5.7L V-8 2WD
8 Posts
How ended the transformation???
I am interesting to do the same... because I have my commander since new 2008 limited 4x2... less than 60K Milles... never crashed... it new...
I hope you can give me some feedback.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What's the need for 4wd? Just because or need low range? Maybe intermediate option is put a locker in the rear for real 2wd.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts