Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone swap out their engine on a 2006 or 2007 to the 3.0 CRD Diesel that they carried in the Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3.0 CRD Diesel Jeep Commander

Anyone know where to buy one in the US or Canada. I know they exported it Europe.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
That engine was available in the US in the GC, so you may be able to find one in a salvage yard. Previous to the GC, a CRD was available in the Liberty, but I do not know if it was the same engine. It is a MB engine, so it might be easy to find, although the electronics might not match between a MB and a Jeep. They should be pretty close between the GC and the Commander. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am pretty sure the diesel that went in to the GC is the same 3.0 liter Bluetec engine in the Mercedes ML and R series. I also bet it is the same that is in the Sprinter vans.

I'm just guessing here, but I think if you get one of the Bluetecs from something other than a GC, you will have to find someone to tune the computer for you. Also, there may be fitment questions concerning transmissions if if comes from something other than a GC. The flip side is that you might have better luck getting an engine from a Sprinter and at a better price since there are more of them around.

Also, at some point, I believe the 3.0 Bluetec went from using a DPF to urea. That's just something to keep in mind.

I don't believe the Libby ever had the 3.0 MB diesel.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It should be pointed out, that with the extensive electronics and how Chrysler has made access to them proprietary, swapping engines is NOT as simple as one might imagine.

Someone has done a retrofit of QDII to a QTII Commander on this forum, I would have thought the same thing would apply. BUT, if I remember his posts correctly, that although getting the electronics configured was a PIA, it was still doable and NOT prohibitive.

So, we really don't know, but it is something you should research and figure out before starting such a project, the retrofit of the electronic controls and then having to go through everything you'll need to have the dealer be able to configure the electronics for you, could make it impractical, if NOT, near impossible to do.

But, as far as I know, other than an engine swap, if you want a diesel Commander, you're going to have to find one overseas and go through the legal hassle of importing it personally. They did NOT make or sell any domestic diesel commanders.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As far as Im aware, no one on the forum has done the swap yet.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
But it would be easy to swap a 3.0L CRD Diesel from a Grand Cherokee to a Commander if you were to find one at a junk yard with rear end damage. Especially if it had everything there already.. ie. motor, transmission, transfer case, wiring harness, PCM/ECM........etc.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I don't believe the Libby ever had the 3.0 MB diesel.:eek:rangehat:
You are correct. I just looked it up, out of curiosity. The VM Motori 2.8 L straight-4 common rail turbodiesel, made in Italy, became available in CRD branded 2005–2006 Sport and Limited models. The diesel utilized a variable geometry turbocharger and generated 160 horsepower (120 kW) and 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) of torque. The 2.8L VM Motori CRD was discontinued due to stricter 2007 United States diesel emission standards. Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, and California had already banned sale of the vehicle due to their rigid state emissions regulations. The 50-state legal 3.0L Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine was used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2005-2008. So, the 3.0 CRD was available in the GC for four model years, throughout the whole country, so one should be available were you to go ahead and decide to do the conversion. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gentleman.

I have access to a 3.0 CRD Diesel that was in a Laredo and have access to as many parts as I need from a Laredo Diesel.

If I can't buy one I would like to install the 3.0 CRD Diesel in a 2006 Jeep Commander.

I'm not techical, but I have people who are. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You are correct. I just looked it up, out of curiosity. The VM Motori 2.8 L straight-4 common rail turbodiesel, made in Italy, became available in CRD branded 2005–2006 Sport and Limited models. The diesel utilized a variable geometry turbocharger and generated 160 horsepower (120 kW) and 295 lb·ft (400 N·m) of torque. The 2.8L VM Motori CRD was discontinued due to stricter 2007 United States diesel emission standards. Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, and California had already banned sale of the vehicle due to their rigid state emissions regulations. The 50-state legal 3.0L Mercedes-Benz OM642 engine was used in the Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2005-2008. So, the 3.0 CRD was available in the GC for four model years, throughout the whole country, so one should be available were you to go ahead and decide to do the conversion. :eek:rangehat:
Correct!

Liberty - 2.8L CRD (04-05)
GC - 3.0L MB BlueTech motor (05-08) 215hp
Sprinter 2.7L MB motor in the older ones, 3.0L in the newer ones (but only 181hp? - so not exactly the same as the GC

I have wanted to do a GC swap.. but the odds of me ever doing it are slim...

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Gentleman.

I have access to a 3.0 CRD Diesel that was in a Laredo and have access to as many parts as I need from a Laredo Diesel.

If I can't buy one I would like to install the 3.0 CRD Diesel in a 2006 Jeep Commander.

I'm not techical, but I have people who are. Has anyone done this?
No one on this Forum has done it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Bring both vehicles over to my garage ill have diesel swap done by end of weekend.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Threads merged

·
Registered
5 Posts
Response from Todd at Dieseltoyz.com. While I would love you venture into this I just dont want to spend that kind of money when I can just find a used CRD Grand Cherokee for that price.

Hi there,
We have never had anyone even ask about the XK's. It would definitely be doable. We would probably want to buy a complete wrecked vehicle in Canada, disassemble it, and send it over here. I would budget $8-12k for the engine (wrecked car) and $10k installation. We are currently working on a year waiting list to get into the shop. Let me know if you have any other questions. -Todd

·
Registered
417 Posts
What's the point? Especially if it's that expensive to swap. If it's to save gas money - diesel is 50 cents more than gas right now. Also, when you factor in the cost of the swap (at $3.45 per gallon), it comes out to about 5,200 gallons of gas you could have bought.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Plans for 2015

I am stripping down a salvaged / running 08 Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD now and the plan is to do the swap to my 06 Commander in the spring or summer of this year.
I will take a lot of pics, summarize of what / how I am doing and post them to this forum.
Also, I am re-fibreglass the edges and painting my sailboat, man I need my head examined and a lot of time of from work (and beer).:bang:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plans for 2015

I am stripping down a salvaged / running 08 Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD now and the plan is to do the swap to my 06 Commander in the spring or summer of this year.
I will take a lot of pics, summarize of what / how I am doing and post them to this forum.
Also, I am re-fibreglass the edges and painting my sailboat, man I need my head examined and a lot of time of from work (and beer).:bang:
Hi,

Di you ever complete this project? I was curious, I used to own a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a Mercedes 3.0 crd,

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hi,

Di you ever complete this project? I was curious, I used to own a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a Mercedes 3.0 crd,
Hi, it has been my daily driver for over a year now. Here is write up I posted here a couple of years back.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts