Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an "International" 2006 Commander with the Mercedes 3.0CRD engine.
I am confused about the following and am seeking advice from those who know!

At 100,000 mile the Timing Chain Tensioner needs checking and/or replacement - what is this item - is it the Hydraulic "piston" (can be fitted externally without much effort) or the "slide that this "piston" presses against to tension the Timing Chain (which is a major job to replace)?

I have searched everywhere and cannot get a clear description of what needs to be replaced at 100,000 mile.

Thanks to all who respond. Ozzie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Commander with the 3.0 litre diesel

You are correct in that it was a motor used in many Mercedes vehicles and with the NAG1 transmission as fitted in the Jeeps, was also the drive train used in the Mercedes Sprinter Vans.

The 3.0 litre V6 Turbo Diesel was only mated to the QuadraDrive II system for the international market (not sold in the USA) as the diesels high torque output (over 400 ft lbs if you add a chip) and fuel economy made it the preferred buyers choice in the Jeep range as all other competitors SUV's are sold with a diesel option.

I use the Diesel for towing and with 7000 lbs hanging off the back of it, it still returns 22mpg.

I am not sure if the current Jeep Grand Cherokee is available in the USA with the Diesel engine (which I think is a Fiat Diesel) but they are extremely popular here in Oz.

I would be interested to know if they still limit this option to the international market (Europe, UK, Asia and Australia).

Jeeps have always been and always will be an interesting vehicle!

Have fun, Ozzie

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently saw a Liberty with the 3.0 diesel for sale locally; it was unnaturally priced, for a used vehicle from Florida... Likely it was also a "salvage" titled vehicle...

Anyway, I wish that Jeep would sell the diesel domestically.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I own a jeep commander diesel and i can confirm is the same mercedes engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts