Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it has been addressed before, about how a 3.5 inch lift may put strain on the steering system, and it may just be me wishing for a bigger lift but what do you guys think? :icon_confused:
At the bottom i will put the websit for more detailed info.
Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor System 06+ Commander XK. Allows for 31 Inch Tires with no Fender Trimming or 32x11.5's with Minor Fender Trimming. Shown with 33x10.5R17 SSR's (265/70R17 SSR's) on 17x9 Helo Max 6 Wheels with 4.5 Inches of Back Space.
redrock4x4.com

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You can run those tires, except for the 33's, on the 2 - 2 1/2" budget lifts.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I'm running 32's on my XK with a 2 inch lift. Required trimming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know it has been addressed before, about how a 3.5 inch lift may put strain on the steering system, and it may just be me wishing for a bigger lift but what do you guys think? :icon_confused:
Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor System 06+ Commander XK. Allows for 31 Inch Tires with no Fender Trimming or 32x11.5's with Minor Fender Trimming. Shown with 33x10.5R17 SSR's (265/70R17 SSR's) on 17x9 Helo Max 6 Wheels with 4.5 Inches of Back Space.
redrock4x4.com
Hi there, where did you read about the strain it puts on the steering system?
Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
redrock4x4.com
You may want to check with TYMAC on the Rock Crawler 3.5" lift. He just installed this exact lift and it only raised the vehicle 2.25". It appears that for whatever reasons they have added up the amount of lift in the front and back of the suspension to come up with 3.5". See TYMAC's garage thread or PM him for more info.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
redrock4x4.com
I wouldnt listen to a site that states a 33x10.5R17 SSR is the same size as a 265/70R17 SSR because that is definately not true.

Also with my 2 inch BDS im running 31's without trimming and could easily run 32's with minor trimming. So why would you want to run a system that is going to ruin your ball joints and cv axles and all sorts of other parts just to run the same size tire you can with a 2 inch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 3.5 x factor is indeed a 2.25'' lift, i have that and a RRO lift on top with no problems, i like it a bit better that the SL lift because the SL lift uses a cross member that kills your height gain.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The 3.5 x factor is indeed a 2.25'' lift, i have that and a RRO lift on top with no problems, i like it a bit better that the SL lift because the SL lift uses a cross member that kills your height gain.
The only problem with your setup is that you have greatly limited the down travel of the front suspension. Also it is almost required to run GetLost UCA's or your guaranteed to break the stock ball joints like phunkeydude.

With the superlift, they provide a new front cross member and differential drop down brackets which maintains the factory cv and drive shaft angles. Also the kit provides replacement extended knuckles to ensure proper steering geometry which span the increased distance between the LCA and the UCA keeping the UCA in the stock position.

As for the ground clearance up front with the superlift id imagine if running a 285/70R17 or larger tire you have a few more inches then stock. Especially since the superlift cross member and pan are contoured to provide as much clearance as possible.

As long as you have a good spotter while out on the trail the front lowered cross member shouldnt cause you a problem.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
07JeepXK makes a good point about the ball joints. The OEM parts work fine under their intended range of motion but pop apart when they become the limit of movement. Normally it's the strut that stops everything from drooping too far. But in looking at before and after pics of my rig when it had the 2.25" lift and now the 4" (with exactly the same tires - still trying to wear them out) the 2.25" kit almost appears to have more diff clearance than the 4" kit, though I never measured. I did however just go measure my XK in the garage after reading this thread because it got me all curious. I have 10.0" of clearance under the differential where the Superlift skidplate has a bumpout for it, and about 9.5" where the stabilizer bar link bolts to the lower a-arm. My 265/70's are about half-worn and I intend to go to 285's when its time. In spending some time in Moab and a lot of time on Colorado trails, the part that drags the most is the rear lower control arm relo brackets. Those things take a beating, at least with me. I have hit the front skidplate a time or two but thus far have been able to judge what I'll clear and what I won't pretty well. But I do look forward to even the little more clearance 285's will give.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Curious. . .

I am looking into lifting my 07 Commander it's a 4.7 with 17in wheels. .
I want to do a 3.5 or 4inch lift because I want the dramatic effect. And I want large bulky tires I was thinking 265/70r17. I am completely unsure of what to do. I am considering trying just a 2in lift for while and maybe doing spacers or something, as well? I also read something on here about effecting the steering stabalizers? What are your opinions on what the best thing to do would be. . ? I do not take it off road much I use my husbands crap for that.. =) I baby mine. But, I do sometimes feel risky and take it off road and i live in a really bad area when it snows so I need the traction to remain perfectly capable, of course.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I want to do a 3.5 or 4inch lift because I want the dramatic effect. And I want large bulky tires I was thinking 265/70r17. I am completely unsure of what to do. I am considering trying just a 2in lift for while and maybe doing spacers or something, as well? I also read something on here about effecting the steering stabalizers? What are your opinions on what the best thing to do would be. . ? I do not take it off road much I use my husbands crap for that.. =) I baby mine. But, I do sometimes feel risky and take it off road and i live in a really bad area when it snows so I need the traction to remain perfectly capable, of course.
This thread may help: http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8393

·
1,993 Posts
I'm running that tire size on a RC2" lift. I did a little trimming to make sure I did not rub I have had no issues yet. Check my garage for how it looks. I put 1/4 spacers up front to clear the knuckle to my comfort zone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you guys sOo much. That was really helpful! If you have any other tips/thoughts please let me know...in regards to effects the vehicle technical components and such.

THANK YOU! =)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts