Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Commander has front independent suspension. Other than ground clearance, lifting with just blocks or extenders, just trades jounce for rebound.

Perhaps someone that has lifted a Commander to 4" can tell you for sure, but I'd worry about front driveshafts, the angles would be too much, steering rack and tire rods might be a bit under pressure and suffer as well. Maybe NOT break/wear out right away but much sooner than normal.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The Commander has front independent suspension. Other than ground clearance, lifting with just blocks or extenders, just trades jounce for rebound.

Perhaps someone that has lifted a Commander to 4" can tell you for sure, but I'd worry about front driveshafts, the angles would be too much, steering rack and tire rods might be a bit under pressure and suffer as well. Maybe NOT break/wear out right away but much sooner than normal.
If you try to lift 4"+ with anything other than a superlift style lift you will have a terrible ride and destroy components. UCA would contact springs, you would have no droop, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had just looked at that same kit this afternoon and thought...Hmmm 3.5" but then thought about how it was likely too much for the other stock components.

But I do recall reading somewhere in the forums that experience had shown that either 3" or maybe it was 3.5" max, before notable wear on other parts. I would love to go about 2.5-3" without a big cost or wearing stuff out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
3" lift is the max lift IMO without using and of the SL parts.
Thanks for clarifying that its 3" before needing SL parts. I recall reading it somewhere in the forums, but couldn't remember.

From the reading I've been doing, it all kinda indicates unless your using a spacer lift no more then 2.25"...any lift beyond that should really be done with something like an OME set up.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that its 3" before needing SL parts. I recall reading it somewhere in the forums, but couldn't remember.

From the reading I've been doing, it all kinda indicates unless your using a spacer lift no more then 2.25"...any lift beyond that should really be done with something like an OME set up.
23" hub to fender is the limitation really. If you stack an spacer lift with something like a strut spacer or extended clevis like the lift that was first inquired about you will likely be disappointed with the ride. You end up with no droop, and would most likely have the UCA hitting the spring.

OME + strut spacer or bilstein 5100 strut @ lowest setting is doable for roughly 3.25-5" lift. (called "modified OME lift") Crawl-offroad actually sells this setup, and Chris is very active on the JeepForum

http://www.crawl-offroad.com/#!product/prd1/1493608595/modified-ome

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/ome-hd-front-strut-plate-rear-spacer-1182409/

·
1,993 Posts

Yes pretty much anything over that in a spacer is not good. Now super lift uses a 4" spacer but they also relocate the suspension as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread but I was looking at an interesting kit offered on [email protected] tonight. I don't know a thing about it ...but the kit uses a polyurethane block system that they claim is "super high quality".
Of course I've already read about staying away for lifts, that are not made of steel... here in the forums.

Its made by Performex and might lift about 1/2" more then say RC or RR.
It's advertised to lift 2.5" in the font and 2" in the rear, as opposed to the RC and RR kits that I guess are more like 2-2.25" in the font and 1.5" in the rear.

I'm just curious if they actually give a little more lift and if anyone has tinkered with them?

Hmmm..actually I just searched and found a thread on them http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23681

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread but I was looking at an interesting kit offered on [email protected] tonight. I don't know a thing about it ...but the kit uses a polyurethane block system that they claim is "super high quality".
Of course I've already read about staying away for lifts, that are not made of steel... here in the forums.

Its made by Performex and might lift about 1/2" more then say RC or RR.
It's advertised to lift 2.5" in the font and 2" in the rear, as opposed to the RC and RR kits that I guess are more like 2-2.25" in the font and 1.5" in the rear.

I'm just curious if they actually give a little more lift and if anyone has tinkered with them?

Hmmm..actually I just searched and found a thread on them http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23681
Stick with the tried and true RC lift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts