Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The truck's starter seems like is stuck turning over. Then it clicks like the battery is dead. I have changed the battery...I installed a new starter. I have checked the alternator..it is charging properly.
I have read a million threads...lines into starter...relay fuses...starter fuses....
I'm at a loss....ready to give up...lol

·
Registered
06, Commander, 3.7L Base, 4x4
7 Posts
Have you tried jump starting with the new battery??

I know it sounds dumb but I bought new battery and my Commander wouldn’t start…jiggled the yellow wire leading to starter, still wouldn’t start.. put jumper cables on the brand new battery and what do ya know….. VROOOOOOOOM

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
Yes batteries are funny animals. Check the battery with a volt meter - should be 12 volts with engine off. Then if running should be about 14 volts. See what it is while cranking or trying to start. Did you buy it at an auto parts store? Usually they will check it for free under load. Trying with jumper cables it also a good suggestion.

·
Registered
2009 Jeep Commander
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried jump starting with the new battery??

I know it sounds dumb but I bought new battery and my Commander wouldn’t start…jiggled the yellow wire leading to starter, still wouldn’t start.. put jumper cables on the brand new battery and what do ya know….. VROOOOOOOOM
That is how I got it started again but my question is why it keeps dying. Battery is fully and property charged at a battery shop. Tested the battery...even with and old school resister...normal readings from my alternator....??? New starter.
...it will sometimes feel like it's half starting and shake violently???

..and it seems like I have full lights and power when I initially try to start it...which leads me to believe it might be the computer or a faulty connection.

Also it is doing the exact same thing that it did to make me change the battery. The guy at the battery shop didn't even want to sell me a new battery because he was convinced that my old one was fine. Props to him btw!! I bought the new one anyway and am still getting this problem. I have found a couple of spots where guys have mentioned the yellow wire going into the starter seemed to be problematic on more than a few XKs. I guess I will take the skid plate off again and have a look.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
Yes the yellow wire is a very common failure for your condition, crimp connection gets corroded. I had a battery go bad and auto parts store tested and said was ok - but put in new battery and no more starting problems. Old battery was 3 years old and still under guarantee so didn't cost me.

Reactions: Fred Zeplon

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Also it is doing the exact same thing that it did to make me change the battery. The guy at the battery shop didn't even want to sell me a new battery because he was convinced that my old one was fine. Props to him btw!! I bought the new one anyway and am still getting this problem. I have found a couple of spots where guys have mentioned the yellow wire going into the starter seemed to be problematic on more than a few XKs. I guess I will take the skid plate off again and have a look.
@Fred Zeplon ;

Hello & Welcome to the forum;

Please complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

That being said, it sounds to me like you have a ground/parasitic drain, somewhere in your electrical system, that you need to chase down.

Could be a bad ground wire or a short somewhere in your electrical system;

That's just an educated guess of course, but that's where I would start in your situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts