Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed looking around that most of CAI systems lump the 3.7 and the 4.7 together under the same part number. Is this the same with the MOPAR version?

http://www.justforjeeps.com/mocoairin.html

Would using the MOPAR version negate any warranty issues?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I can only speak for the K&N - but I believe the 3.7 and 4.7 applications are different. The intake goes into the side of the throttle body on the 3.7 and, from the photos I've seen on this forum, the intake goes into the front of the 4.7's throttle body.

Here's a photo of the 3.7 install (I could not find the 4.7 install photo):

I can't imagine that if you bought a Mopar branded part manufactured specifically for your Jeep it would void the warranty. Unless they insist you have someone "certified" install it (i.e. a Jeep dealer).

·
Super Moderator
14,936 Posts
webjones said:
I can only speak for the K&N - but I believe the 3.7 and 4.7 applications are different. The intake goes into the side of the throttle body on the 3.7 and, from the photos I've seen on this forum, the intake goes into the front of the 4.7's throttle body.

Here's a photo of the 3.7 install (I could not find the 4.7 install photo):

I can't imagine that if you bought a Mopar branded part manufactured specifically for your Jeep it would void the warranty. Unless they insist you have someone "certified" install it (i.e. a Jeep dealer).
Here is a 4.7 with an aFe Magnum Force CAI

·
2,248 Posts
It is hard to see in this 39K reduced size picture, but the K&N CAI does enter the intake from the front and not the side. This is an 07 4.7 engine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I think the difference in Jeep5253's 4.7 and HueyPilot's 4.7 is that Jeep still uses his plastic intake box where as Huey's is removed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Lets reverse the question - Can I use 4.7 CIA that goes straight to the throttle body on a 3.7??

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lets reverse the question - Can I use 4.7 CIA that goes straight to the throttle body on a 3.7??
Let's also revive the dead to answer this question! I've been thinking about getting a CAI and while watching the few that have sold through here noticed that engine bays seem oh so similar between the 3.7 and the 4.7. So, can anyone say beyond doubt that a CAI for a 4.7 routed directly to the throttle body would not fit/work on the 3.7?

·
Registered
707 Posts
What year is your Commander? Jeep has changed the 4.7L for the 2008 year and some CAI might be different between the two different 4.7L V8.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What year is your Commander? Jeep has changed the 4.7L for the 2008 year and some CAI might be different between the two different 4.7L V8.
06 Black 65th Edition 3.7 V6.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Same Commander as me. I bought my K&N CAI through Amazon for $210 with free shipping.

I know the K&N brand CAI change between the 3.7L and 4.7L engine.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know the 4.7 CAI replaces the plenum while the 3.7 retains it, but I just can't figure out what about the 4.7 intake tube wouldn't work on the 3.7. Locations of all the air filter, MAF, and breather hose are all the same, and the diameter looks identical too. Anyone want to let me borrow their 4.7 CAI for a few minutes (or weeks)?

·
Registered
809 Posts
So I went ahead and e-mailed K&N's tech department and it goes like this...

Me:
I am looking to install a cold air intake on my 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6. I want to bypass the plenum and create a direct route to the throttle body, but I would also like to have the material be made of the black FIPK plastic. Looking at the engine bays of similar year 4.7L V8 Commanders, it appears that the 57-1548 may be compatible in terms of filter location, MAF censor plug-in, and tube length. My question, then, is if you think this could work or, if not, what attributes set the two models apart? Would it be possible to get a FIPK system for the 3.7L? Also, when comparing intakes for the 3.7L, why is it that the less modified 63-1545 [with plenum] nets MORE horsepower increase than the more streamlined 77-1545 [no plenum] kit?
Please let me know if you have any other questions about my goals, and I look forward to your reply.

K&N:
Thanks for choosing K&N, below are the intake systems we have available for your application. When you use our intake systems you will remove the factory intake system and install ours. Are intake system will be a direct fit. I understand that you may want to remove the factory throttle body adapter, but you are not going to pick anything in power. That item simple put will perform as well as a tube connected direct. If you would like to use a kit from a different application you are more than welcome to do so. However the intake system will not be backed with our million mile warranty since we were unable to test that configuration on your application. The reason the 77series intake system does not perform as well as the 57 series is because we can do more with the air flow in the plastic tube to manipulate the air speed. When Comparing these two intake systems there is less than a 1/5 hp difference, You simple choose the intake system you want for looks because you would not feel the difference in HP.

So, in closing, we learn that K&N deems the plenum negligible to HP increase, and that their scholarly focus was physics, not English.

Offer still stands to anyone with a 4.7L to let me test fit their CAI to my suffocating V6.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What is that from? I also think the 4.7 intake could fit, but wonder if the shorter engine block on the 3.7 would locate the A/C lines in the designed path of the 4.7 intake. Someone please try it though! I would, but I'm already posing as guinea pig for another mod.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What is that from? I also think the 4.7 intake could fit, but wonder if the shorter engine block on the 3.7 would locate the A/C lines in the designed path of the 4.7 intake. Someone please try it though! I would, but I'm already posing as guinea pig for another mod.
Has anyone installed the 4.7L K&N on a 3.7L?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts