Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Boys and Girls,

Some of you may be aware that I'm a proud owner of a 5.7 Ltd XH Commander here in the United Kingdom (England).

I'm now looking for a part time play thing, and have my eye on a 08 Dodge Nitro 3.7SXT. Do the Dodge Products i.e The Nitro run the same motor & transmission to that of the 3.7 Commander?

If so, how do you rate the 3.7 engine & transmission for power, torque, build quality and reliability?

In addition, how is the Nitro seen as a credible SUV in the USA (and other countires).....:banana:

Si

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Nitros are like miniature Commanders. :)

I have the 3.7V6 in my Commander, but that might not give you the info you need, since I'm guessing the Commander is a heavier vehicle than a Nitro. But the 3.7V6 does just fine for what I need, which is mainly just transporting people. I have had 6 adults, a car-carrier full of luggage for 6 people, and an 8-foot Uhaul loaded with crap on an 8-hour trip, and it didn't even act like it noticed the extra weight. I personally think it's a strong little V6.

It's probly even more noticeable in a Nitro.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nitros are like miniature Commanders. :)

I have the 3.7V6 in my Commander, but that might not give you the info you need, since I'm guessing the Commander is a heavier vehicle than a Nitro. But the 3.7V6 does just fine for what I need, which is mainly just transporting people. I have had 6 adults, a car-carrier full of luggage for 6 people, and an 8-foot Uhaul loaded with crap on an 8-hour trip, and it didn't even act like it noticed the extra weight. I personally think it's a strong little V6.

It's probly even more noticeable in a Nitro.
Reading the spec sheets over here, it looks like the Commander and Nitro are similar weights!!!

Si

·
Registered
512 Posts
We used to own a 2005 Liberty with the 3.7, now we have a 2007 Commander. Both with the 3.7 V6. The 3.7 is a very well built engine, and has done Jeep well. I feel it is better matched to the Liberty than the Commander because of the vehicle weight. We chose the base Sport with the V6 for cost, but we are happy with it. If I want to go out and "play", I would use my '97 Wrangler anyways -43:icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Reading the spec sheets over here, it looks like the Commander and Nitro are similar weights!!!

Si
You got me interested, so I looked, too... they're similar, but the Nitro is a little lighter. It runs 3900-4100 lbs... the Commander runs 4700-5200 lbs, so it can be almost 1000 lbs more.

Nitros look really similar to Commanders from behind. There's been a few times I got fooled.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The 3.7L is a very good engine. It provides plenty of torque so it’s very adequate for off-road use and even when towing.

The downside of the 3.7L is street/expressway driving when you want acceleration. The Commander is heavy, and the 3.7L accelerates noticeably more slowly compared to the 4.7L and 5.7L.

The big difference I see is that you have the “pedal to the metal” a lot more when driving a 3.7L. That negates any savings in mileage with the smaller 3.7L engine.

--Spike

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
The 3.7L is a very good engine. It provides plenty of torque so it’s very adequate for off-road use and even when towing.

The downside of the 3.7L is street/expressway driving when you want acceleration. The Commander is heavy, and the 3.7L accelerates noticeably more slowly compared to the 4.7L and 5.7L.

The big difference I see is that you have the “pedal to the metal” a lot more when driving a 3.7L. That negates any savings in mileage with the smaller 3.7L engine.

--Spike
It's just fine if you slow down. ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
had one in my 07 Liberty with a 6spd man. and it was a strong 6 banger we just didn't like the bumpy ride of a short wheelbase and the amount of room it had. The liberty and the Nitro are built on the same platform too, So i'd imagine they'd be very identical all the way around...hope this helps

·
Registered
329 Posts
had one in my 07 Liberty with a 6spd man. and it was a strong 6 banger we just didn't like the bumpy ride of a short wheelbase and the amount of room it had. The liberty and the Nitro are built on the same platform too, So i'd imagine they'd be very identical all the way around...hope this helps
I think you are right. The Nitro and Liberty are clones that are made to look slightly different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
From Cars.com:

Cars.com said:
Introduced just last fall, the Nitro actually is a version of the redesigned Jeep Liberty that arrives this fall.
Also from Cars.com, this makes me go, "hmm..."

Cars.com said:
The Nitro has an optional all-wheel-drive system, but no low-range gearing for serious off-road use. But the Liberty offers a choice of two off-road-capable four-wheel drive systems and is Jeep "trail-rated" with either of those. The Nitro is not intended for rugged trails, although with its H3-like styling it looks as though it should be.

"The Jeep buyer takes his vehicle and sits on the edge of the Grand Canyon, enjoying nature," Dodge truck marketing manager Ron Zarowitz said during last year's rollout of the Nitro. "The Dodge customer is an on-road driver."
Is the Liberty available in the UK? Might be a better bet than the Nitro if you want to do a lot of off-roading.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I test drove a Nitro before I got the Commander.

I found the 3.7 in that to be quite peppy and not lacking power, ie: weight differance.

The funny thing is as much as I loved the Nitro, my wife and daughter did not. However when I came home with the Commander, everyone was happy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
this sounds weird but the funny thing is I seen a lifted Nitro the other night and it actually looked kinda tough, IDK what size tires/lift it had...but i'd imagine even without 4lo It'd be kind of similar to a Commander with a QT1 as far as the 4wd is concerned, so it shouldn't be bad at all...

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From Cars.com:

Is the Liberty available in the UK? Might be a better bet than the Nitro if you want to do a lot of off-roading.
We have the Liberty here, but we call it the 'Cherokee', dont ask!!!! :icon_confused:

The new liberty looks too much like the Commander, thats why I fancy a retro Nitro. Plus the dealers here have just slashed 10k from the sticker price nationally!!!! :)

Si

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 3.7 is a stout little motor, and from all appearances seems to be pretty bulletproof as far as reliability. THe only thing that I really complain about with Mopar is that they have not really done anything in the way of aftermarket power upgrades for the 3.7 or teh 4.7 from which it is derived.

But all in all, these are very solid reliable motors.

·
Registered
319 Posts
the 3.7 is a good motor, but the thing I'm not too thrilled about is the fact that it hasn't been redesigned with any more power since it's release...it's time to step it up a bit Chrysler, at least give it 250 hp and 260 ft lbs. It's been long overdue for a redesign, especially since they are using it in vehicles such as full size jeeps and trucks...either amp this one up, or can it and start putting the 3.5 or 4.0's that chrysler is using in the R/T Avengers, and regular Chargers (3.5) 250 hp, and the Nitro R/T (4.0) 260 hp into their larger vehicles...thank you.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My wife's Liberty has the 3.7L. It is amazingly quick responding. I think it would be a good engine for the Nitro you are considering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts