Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey wondering if there are any members that upgraded their 3.7 exhaust for better performance?? any other 3.7 performance mods out there? Also can you get performance gains with just a muffler or is that stupid marketing?

thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I looked at my muffler the other day and I was shocked.
That bitch is the size of a coffin :)

Im sure I can find a aftermarket with better breathing and smaller size.
Gee'z....I only have a 3.7L :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Any performance gain with just a muffler are going to be minimal at best. In fact, you may actually decrease your performance and fuel economy by going to a less restrictive muffler.

That said, I cut the coffin out and put in a Flowmaster 40 on my 4.7 and couldn't be happier. No seeming change in performance or economy, but it sounds a lot better.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The best mod so for for the 3.7L is the K&N intake. There is a thread on this on this forum. I am sure a combination of both intake and exhaust mods would be a positive thing, but I haven't seen any aftermarket muffler for the 3.7L. I am sure a custom muffler shop might be able to figure something out though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife had a 06 Liberty with the K&N air filter, and a Flowmaster 60 series muffler installed. Really woke up the engine. Not to loud inside or outside the vehicle. She just traded it in for a 07 Commander Sport with the 3.7. We will probably do the same modifications as on the Liberty since its the same engine and powertrain. Just wish it had a lower gear ratio than it's current (too high) 3.07

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Command said:
Will this type of modification void the warranty??
It might "void" the warranty on the engine (modifications can not void the entire vehicle warranty, only the warranty on effected parts).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
I would only expect the exhaust change to void the warranty on the exhaust, not the engine.
Ah haven't woke up yet... thought the thread was talking about an intake (should have read first). Ok, probably wouldn't void the engine but they may not help you with issues with O2 sensors causing CELs, etc.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
LOL, sleep posting. I see how you are. Addicted.

I think some dealers would try to void the engine warranty on a CAI, but most wouldn't. If they wanted to they could declare it as such, but in the end after fighting, they'd have to prove it was the CAI that lead to the failure.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
RedCommander said:
LOL, sleep posting. I see how you are. Addicted.
Yes, Jeeping is an addiction. Some people smoke, some people do drugs, some people drink, some people are into extreme sports.

My vices are cute women and Jeeps (and I don't plan on seeking help any time soon -- or ever!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts