Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased and installed a cat-back Gibson system (GIB17402) for my 2007 Commander (3.7) and after driving for a while today I have to say I am disappointed with it. It might be that I am so use to having a deep tone from my past V8 vehicles but with the new system the Commander now sounds like, for a lack of better words, a "rice burner". The Gibson website says that it fits the 3.7 and 4.7 but I am thinking that the system is, and should be, only for the 4.7 because it is a V8. Every time it revs up and shifts gears it reminds me of a wind up car. I am seriously thinking of going back and having the factory piping and "hot water heater" muffler installed again. If anyone else has this system, please leave a comment on what you think of it and its' the sound.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I love the Gibson sound on my 5.7

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, I hate to tell you this, but you have a 6 cylinder. No matter what you do to enhance the sound, it will sound like a six not an eight. Sorry you're disappointed. I'd put back the original equipment and sell what you got on the classifed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
cherry bomb

go with a cherry bomb :banana_hitit: thats what im thinking of doing for mine .....but i like seting off alarms:rofl:

·
Registered
87 Posts
you can always go by the muffler shop and have them add a small resonator before the muffler to take some of the bite out of the sound

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can always go by the muffler shop and have them add a small resonator before the muffler to take some of the bite out of the sound
Might do that. Just installed my CAI - will have to drive around with it a couple of days and see if the sound difference is enough for me to keep the system or just add a resonator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after the CAI install and resetting the computer (holding key on with positive off the battery) I had to say that I enjoy the sound now. Just the slight difference in the the tone has made the world of difference in how I much I like it now. All in all, I'm happy about both installs so far.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Well after the CAI install and resetting the computer (holding key on with positive off the battery) I had to say that I enjoy the sound now. Just the slight difference in the the tone has made the world of difference in how I much I like it now. All in all, I'm happy about both installs so far.

Is there any way for you to do a sound clip?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got a 3.7 and put a flowmaster super 44 on it... sounds great! loud rumble outside (still not like the V8 but close), and has a good tone inside...

im real happy with mine, check it out for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18wFIa3XUf8

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a '69 Jeepster with the 225ci Buick oddfire back a few years. It had dual cherrybombs. Three cylinders for each muffler. It sounded amazingling good. Not loud and very throaty.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dumb question alert!!!

How would a CAI change the sound of the exhaust?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a 3.7 and put a flowmaster super 44 on it... sounds great! loud rumble outside (still not like the V8 but close), and has a good tone inside...

im real happy with mine, check it out for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18wFIa3XUf8
Quick question for you..... did you simply have the muffler replaced with the super 44? What about resonator? Anything else along those lines would be helpful PLZ and thank you!

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is there a Gibson exhaust that fits a 4.7 with 4wd since they all say that it only fits a 2wd.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry, I don't recall the number but I believe the one I purchased said it was for 2wd. The only place I had to mess with fitment was at the rear bumper with the tip. I could slide it back and miss it but I wanted it to stop .25-.5"past the bumper so I took a dremel and cut along the bottom to keep it from rubbing and melting the bumper. I only cut the bottom so while looking at it, the bumper doesn't look modified plus I like that it fits close with the bumper so there is less chance of banging it on objects while on the trails. Looking at the pictures, it appears to be the 2wd version. I cant imagine the chassis is any different between the 2wd and 4wd from the cat back.

Derrick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts