Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 3.7L commander has been sitting most of the summer, I try to start it once a week. Today I drove it down to the car wash and the temp gauge was on the right of the center mark and nearly half way to the next mark. Usually its slightly left of the center mark and I've never seen it go past the center mark. The fan was running hard, no engine light, is this a sign to change the thermostat? Anything else I should check? Radiator fluid level is good.

Thanks
Jason

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Hi,

My 3.7L commander has been sitting most of the summer, I try to start it once a week. Today I drove it down to the car wash and the temp gauge was on the right of the center mark and nearly half way to the next mark. Usually its slightly left of the center mark and I've never seen it go past the center mark. The fan was running hard, no engine light, is this a sign to change the thermostat? Anything else I should check? Radiator fluid level is good.

Thanks
Jason
Jason;

Thermostat is a logical place to start; It's cheap enough, I'd replace it and then see where you stand.

If the problem persists after that, I'd start looking at the water pump.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You will need to drain the radiator...the thermostat is located in the left bottom hose housing on the engine.
Remove the rad cap when engine is cool, drain the rad, bottom right side into a bucket, then remove the hose clamp from the housing...then there's two bolts that hold this unit in place. The 3.7 allows plenty of space up front to do repairs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the thermostat and still getting hot. Doesn't smell like a leak and not hearing any noise but would the water pump be the next thing to change?

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Changed the thermostat and still getting hot. Doesn't smell like a leak and not hearing any noise but would the water pump be the next thing to change?
That would be the next logical step IMO Jason.

Just curious, have you noticed any loss of coolant at all?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No loss of coolant. So I changed the water pump tonight and afterwards while letting it warm up the top radiator hose is hot and bottom of the radiator is cold all the way to the lower hose. So now I'm thinking the radiator must be plugged?

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
No loss of coolant. So I changed the water pump tonight and afterwards while letting it warm up the top radiator hose is hot and bottom of the radiator is cold all the way to the lower hose. So now I'm thinking the radiator must be plugged?
When's the last time you had your radiator flushed?

That's part of your normal maintenance schedule....for both maintenance "schedules A & B" you should have your radiator flushed & coolant changed at 60,000, 102,000 & 150,000 miles at a minimum - says it could also be done at 120,000 miles but no later than 150,000 miles.

Based on what you're now describing, that could very well be the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought it with 135,000 miles and now it has 175,000 and I have never flushed the radiator. I decided to have it towed to a local show. I would agree it seems likely the radiator is plugged.

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I bought it with 135,000 miles and now it has 175,000 and I have never flushed the radiator. I decided to have it towed to a local show. I would agree it seems likely the radiator is plugged.
I would definitely have that done - sooner rather than later.

Unless you have a documented maintenance history for your XK showing something to the contrary, there is a very real chance it's never been done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Blue,

Thanks for your responses. I found the problem and I'm almost too embarrassed to say what it was. The local shop looked at it and told me they thought it was the thermostat even though I already put one in. They wanted $280 to change the thermostat. So I drove it to a nearby parking lot, pulled it out right there and found out I'd put the new thermostat in backwards.

I'd run it up to the H on the gauge a few times before pulling over and letting it cool, seems to be okay now hopefully no damage, still need to get a few more years out of her.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
Big Blue,

Thanks for your responses. I found the problem and I'm almost too embarrassed to say what it was. The local shop looked at it and told me they thought it was the thermostat even though I already put one in. They wanted $280 to change the thermostat. So I drove it to a nearby parking lot, pulled it out right there and found out I'd put the new thermostat in backwards.

I'd run it up to the H on the gauge a few times before pulling over and letting it cool, seems to be okay now hopefully no damage, still need to get a few more years out of her.

Thanks

Jason

My phone battery would go dead before I finish typing all the embarrassing mechanic mistakes I've made. I've often wondered why it's so hard to remember which way the thermostat goes.
I once stopped to pick up a tool I saw laying in the road. As I picked it up I realized it was mine! I had left it under the hood on the strut tower I think!
Glad you figured it out without paying the shop first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts