Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the best bet here the 4.7 V8? Hasn't this engine been around longer than the recently recalled 3.7 V6?

How significant is the power difference between the V6 vs V8?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
From my understanding, the 3.7L is based on the same design as the 4.7L. The 5.7L will give you the best bang for the buck (close to same gas mileage as 4.7L, greater horsepower).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got the 3.7 V6 in my 03 Liberty, it hasn't missed a beat, I wouldn't trade it for nuthin. It's got plenty of power for the Liberty. I tried the 05 GC with the V6, it was under powered compared to the Liberty, even though there isn't much of a weight difference between the two. I'd go with the 4.7

·
Registered
34 Posts
jeepster said:
Is the best bet here the 4.7 V8? Hasn't this engine been around longer than the recently recalled 3.7 V6?

How significant is the power difference between the V6 vs V8?
Hello jeepster,

The power difference between the 3.7L V6 engine and the 4.7L V8 is 25 horsepower. With the 3.7L V6 engine rated at 210 hp and the 4.7L V8 rated at 235 hp. You are correct, the 4.7L V8 engine has been around for much longer than the 3.7L V6, however, I can't solidify the information for you about a recent recall on the 3.7L V6. To acquire the most up-to-date recall information, my best suggestion would be to get in contact with the DaimlerChrysler Recall Information Center at 1-800-853-1403 (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm ET).

Regards...

Miguel M.
Marketing Representative
Jeep Information Center
1-800-925-JEEP(5337)
www.jeep.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a Black V6 with all the goodies and I drove a V8 with no goodies. The price was almost the same. I would say if you had to decide between an extra 25 hp and a navigation package with other nice things. I say ditch the V8.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have the 4.7, I get the same mileage as in my Hemi Ram. The 4.7 definately has ample power. I think the 3.7 felt a little anemic for the Commander. The only reason i didnt get the Hemi was although its only a $1000 option I only saw it on the Limited pushing the $40,000 range.
Overall quite happy with the 4.7.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a dark khaki Commander. I ditched the price of the V8 and got the 3.7 V6 instead. I put the price I saved toward the awesome NAV system (well worth it). I drove both 3.7 and 4.7 and did not see much difference. I wont be towing anything so the V6 is fine. Having this car for 4 days now, the V6 actually has ample power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I jumped to the 4.7 V8 for the difference in tow capacity -- up from 3,500 pounds with V6 to 6500 with the V8. (Of course, Hemi is even higher tow capacity but I don't need that.)

So far (2600 miles) I'm loving the small V8. Very tractable, accelerates smartly and mileage is tolerable. Only thing I've towed so far is a small UHaul trailer with some furniture in it and it 'wasn't even there.' I have a lightweight boat now with perhaps a heavier one in the furture, so I'm glad I have that extra towing capacity.

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the 4.7 in the "old" WJ and it was a great engine. I love the Hemi now. Gives the Jeep more of a truck feel (extra weight and grunt), but I never had underpowered issues with the 4.7

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the 3.7 V6. If your not a 'power hungry maniac' (lol who isn't?) it's a fine engine. For me the upgrade to a U package was well worth it, when cost was my main issue. As an added bonus I can get a cargo box and put it between the little motor and front grill for a second trunk ;)
Later, ANDYVP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I traded in my Chrysler 300 w/ V6 for the Commander w/ V6. I test drove the 4.7 V8 and didn't feel that much of a differnce. I have had it loaded with 4 big guys and a cargo roof box full of ski gear doing 80-90 MPH from Boston to Vermont with no problems. I commute 80 miles a day and average 18MPG. IMO if your not towing a house the V6 is very capable and well matched with the transmission. A friend bought the H3 with the 5 cyl and said it is not as powerful fully loaded as the Commander.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I heard 3.7V6 has very little power to it. 4.7V8 is more than sufficient. You need 5.7 if you plan to compete to outrun Corvette on a traffic light (well almost...). Just be aware that in the city 4.7 does about 13 mph and all you can go is 200 miles on a grossly undersized gas tank. This is a huge disappointment. This is just about as irritating as it gets.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The wife and me cruised around last weekend local stop and go in the country side 45 to 55 mph. We averaged 14.8 mpg with 1150 miles on the engine, pretty good! This average was obtained at the gas pumps when i filled up. We have no problem getting more than 200 miles to a tank. Mikey, there must be something a little off in your Commander or you just don't realize you have a lead foot.
I agree the 3.7 V6 is underpowered in the Commander, I test drove a V6 GC and it was underpowered. I have an 03 Liberty with the 3.7 V6, now that's a sweet match.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went w/the 4.7 after driving the 3.7. The 4.7 has been around longer and has a very good track record. The dealer couldn't recall the last time anyone had a problem with it. Mileage is ok. I saw no reason to move up to the Hemi. Go with the small 8.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Others have posted that there are a few (2-3?) gallons left when the guage shows Empty. That would help explain the low mileage per tank. If you've got 3 gallons left, there's another 30-50 miles left in the tank. Even more if you fill up when you get down to around 1/8th tank when the light comes on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts