Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all, my 3.7L is averaging only 14.8 m/g city driving after 3000 miles on it, is it ever going to improve or do I just live with it. Its a 4X4.

What all do they do for the first service at 3000 miles and what y'all paid for it.
Thanx

·
Registered
541 Posts
Same engine here. I have a velocity tuner installed (from ebay) K&N filter and snorkle removed. I average about the same city / and about 20HWY. All these mods only helped on HWY driving. I got about 4500 miles on it. So I would say, live with it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i have 9000 miles on my 3.7 4x4 and with about 90% in town driving my dash is reading 15.3. it was at 15.7 and held there for about a month then slowly dropped to where it is now.
first service was just an oil change and chassis lube and mine was free but the second one was about $25.

·
Registered
473 Posts
i get about 20-21 hwy and haven't done anything to mine.
i kinda wish i woulda went with either the 4.7 or hemi for trailering purposes.
i don't pull one with mine (i use my truck for that) but if i would ever want to it'd be nice to be able to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Live with it and enjoy a fun vehicle. From what I have read and heard mileage may improve a little over time. Now, ask yourself why you bought the XK. A Prius gets better mileage, but neither of us opted for one, did we? The 3.7 felt like it was working hard in the Liberties(heavy for a cute ute) we drove, as well as the Commanders(way heavy), when we took them up grades. We opted for the 4.7 as various folks told us that the mileage of the 3.7 was not that great anyway. Neither is the mileage in a lot of other SUVs. We currently average 18 after 2k miles(up from 14)in combined city/country 2 lane/Interstate and live at high altitude. Some of this improvement may be due to a little lighter foot on the accelerator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dont know if this will help, but I had a JP Liberty with the 3.7 and I put an open K&N filter for a 350 Chevy motor on mine and I was getting about 17 city 25 Hwy. I know that the Commander is alot heavier so you probably wont see that much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 4.7 and I get around 15.5 average, I drive mostly country back roads so maybe a 40/60 city/highway split. When doing more stictly highway driving, I have gotten up to 18.6 and I have about 1600 mi. on mine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Again, with these mods K&N filter, snorkle removed, velocity tuner, and full synthetic oil castrol, at least you will get >20 HWY. I was driving 80 miles for about 100 miles last week and got an avg of 22.1. Lots of traffic jams here in jersey though! Enjoy. It is a nice ride as long as you don't have to pull anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dabitz said:
Again, with these mods K&N filter, snorkle removed, velocity tuner, and full synthetic oil castrol, at least you will get >20 HWY. I was driving 80 miles for about 100 miles last week and got an avg of 22.1. Lots of traffic jams here in jersey though! Enjoy. It is a nice ride as long as you don't have to pull anything.
Dabitz, that is because you are in that other state known as North Jersey, come on down to the State of South Jersey and you will get much better mileage. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
We are averaging 15.8 mpg after 1600 miles with our 3.7L. Mostly back roads, some highway driving. I have a lead foot, the wife has a feather so its a good balance. And not many traffic jams here in Northeast Pa, thats why I moved across the border from NY. I used to work in Paramus,so I know how North Jersey is! ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Come to Ohio!! Where I live the land is flat and the mileage is good...even my hemi doesnt do too badly here with the flat land....haha. If you call 18 highway and 13 in town good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OR...come to Wyoming where, in Cheyenne, our state capitol and largest city(pop. 50K) you can share a Rush Minute with us. Traffic delays,...well, yes...we do sometimes have to stop for Pronghorn crossing the road on our way to work.

We used to live in the D.C. area and crawl the Beltway 5 days a week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am doing mixed city back roads driving between princeton and Sommerville, NJ with the 3.7 and getting about 15.5-16 MPG! I didn't read the manual aty first, but since reading it and switching to 87 octane........ I am getting 15.8 when I divide the miles versus actual gas used! I was getting less milage with premium!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I cant believe people buy a 5000lb vehicle and expect an underpowered V-6 to get good gas milage....:rolleyes:
Its no wonder when people report that the V-6 is getting alot worse gas milage than they expected. What would pull a large load easier and spend less energy (i.e. gasoline)?...an elephant or a poodle? :D

My Hemi gets an average of 15 to 17 mpg in town. You shoulda bought a Hemi. Its ALOT more fun and gets better milage. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts