Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rough country lift is not doing it for me. I see pictures and don't feel like there is enough of a lift. I think it needs a bit more and I was wondering is anyone is running the 3" front 2" back top gun customs lift from eBay

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
if you want to lift more than the rc lift then the only good option is OME HD springs. Otherwise you need to be looking @ a superlift which of course is significantly more.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
if you want to lift more than the rc lift then the only good option is OME HD springs. Otherwise you need to be looking @ a superlift which of course is significantly more.
Yep, you nailed it lucky.

I gave some thought to getting a superlift.

The biggest deterrent for me isn't the price - it's the fact that Big Blue wouldn't fit in my storage unit anymore - I only have about an inch clearance now as it is.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yep, you nailed it lucky.

I gave some thought to getting a superlift.

The biggest deterrent for me isn't the price - it's the fact that Big Blue wouldn't fit in my storage unit anymore - I only have about an inch clearance now as it is.
That and a superlift would make your tires look too small, which of course means more tire and even greater ride height.

You could pull off your rack and crossbars and gain back a few inches of clearance, but then you have to store that stuff and that doesn't sound terribly convenient.

I can just barely get my XK into my garage... its too full of kids stuff to park it in there though.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That and a superlift would make your tires look too small, which of course means more tire and even greater ride height.

You could pull off your rack and crossbars and gain back a few inches of clearance, but then you have to store that stuff and that doesn't sound terribly convenient.

I can just barely get my XK into my garage... its too full of kids stuff to park it in there though.
Yea.....my roof rack comes off about every year and a half or so, to be lightly sanded down and re-painted.

That's really the only time I mess with it, outside of normal use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand that though. It's still a steel spacer... there's really no difference between that and rough country except an inch

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I don't understand that though. It's still a steel spacer... there's really no difference between that and rough country except an inch
Superlift? Wrong it completely relocates where the control arms bolt in.

OME? Also wrong these are new taller springs.

The "Heavy Metal" Lift kits, like the top guy customs ones are known to lift less than advertised.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Superlift? Wrong it completely relocates where the control arms bolt in.

OME? Also wrong these are new taller springs.

The "Heavy Metal" Lift kits, like the top guy customs ones are known to lift less than advertised.
No not superlift or OME, just the topgun one. I spoke to a rep to get he exact measurements of the spacers and they are larger than the rough country ones. I am just looking for anyone who has possible run the lift so I could see it.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
No not superlift or OME, just the topgun one. I spoke to a rep to get he exact measurements of the spacers and they are larger than the rough country ones. I am just looking for anyone who has possible run the lift so I could see it.
That might be a tough task.

I've never heard of this lift - or seen it mentioned on this forum - until now.

If you're really that interested in it, you might have to man up and be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That might be a tough task.

I've never heard of this lift - or seen it mentioned on this forum - until now.

If you're really that interested it, you might have to man up and be the guinea pig.

Alrighty! Also, do you happen to know the height of the rough country spacers? I am trying to compare the height of both of the lifts and cannot find the size anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The top gun customs 2.5" spacer for the front has one bad design flaw. They thread the new bolts in it instead of using spline bolts so when you go to tighten the nuts in the engine bay it unthreads the bolts on the spacers. We ended up welding the bolts in on the one i tried. Ended up being too much of a lift for my Commander threw everything out of whack.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The top gun customs 2.5" spacer for the front has one bad design flaw. They thread the new bolts in it instead of using spline bolts so when you go to tighten the nuts in the engine bay it unthreads the bolts on the spacers. We ended up welding the bolts in on the one i tried. Ended up being too much of a lift for my Commander threw everything out of whack.
Maybe you should reconsider and give the 2 inch RC lift a shot.

It's a proven system and I think you'd probably pretty happy with it if you gave it a chance.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
If you were going to go with this combination, what shocks would you use. Bilstien 5100's
It all depends on your application and your preference.

Some people use one type of shock up front and different shocks in the read.

Or, you can run the same shocks all the way around.

Typically, most guys will run longer shocks in the rear to allow the rear axle a little extra travel.

·
Registered
338 Posts
With the OME HD springs and struts, and a 3/8" spacer in front and Monroe F150 load leveler shocks in the rear I was about level and maxed out for stock suspension.... really need the JBA upper control arms with this setup, but lived with the stock banging the spring for a while. Height to the center of the fender flares was ~37.5" all around. See the link in my sig for more details.

This past weekend after ~130,000 on the OME struts I installed 5100's (on there lowest setting), removed the 3/8" spacer as I thought it would be way to high and am currently at 37" in the front. Also replaced the lower control arms as they where original with 170,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
With the OME HD springs and struts, and a 3/8" spacer in front and Monroe F150 load leveler shocks in the rear I was about level and maxed out for stock suspension.... really need the JBA upper control arms with this setup, but lived with the stock banging the spring for a while. Height to the center of the fender flares was ~37.5" all around. See the link in my sig for more details.

This past weekend after ~130,000 on the OME struts I installed 5100's (on there lowest setting), removed the 3/8" spacer as I thought it would be way to high and am currently at 37" in the front. Also replaced the lower control arms as they where original with 170,000 miles.
Lets see some pics @thance;

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts