Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up to everyone, I bought the Mopar transfer case fluid and took it to my local Valvoline and they replaced my transfer case fluid with the NV245, did my diffs with 75w140, and changed my air filter $100 flat. Just curious if anyone else has gotten a deal like this, if not, check with your local Valvoline before you pay the insane dealer costs.

(please note I did my own Spark plugs and oil).

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just a heads up to everyone, I bought the Mopar transfer case fluid and took it to my local Valvoline and they replaced my transfer case fluid with the NV245, did my diffs with 75w140, and changed my air filter $100 flat. Just curious if anyone else has gotten a deal like this, if not, check with your local Valvoline before you pay the insane dealer costs.

(please note I did my own Spark plugs and oil).
I actually got a way better deal then you did. I bought the Mopar Transfer Case Fluid and 75w140 for my diffs. (synthetic of course) and took it to the parking lot at my apartment and did it myself for free! :rofl:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Congratulations, I'm certain you're very proud. If I could give you a gold star I would. I've done this very same maintenance before as well, but don't mind to afford the luxury of having it done in 15 minutes instead of me fiddling around for an hour in my garage. I was just trying to help out the myriads of people complaining about dealer costs who obviously aren't going to get out and do it like the true urban lumberjack mechanic that you are.

Mobil1 75w140 w/ friction modifier = $15 x 4
NV245 Case Fluid=$15 x 2
Total = $90 in fluids alone, I think $100 is a very decent deal.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Congratulations, I'm certain you're very proud. If I could give you a gold star I would. I've done this very same maintenance before as well, but don't mind to afford the luxury of having it done in 15 minutes instead of me fiddling around for an hour in my garage. I was just trying to help out the myriads of people complaining about dealer costs who obviously aren't going to get out and do it like the true urban lumberjack mechanic that you are.

Mobil1 75w140 w/ friction modifier = $15 x 4
NV245 Case Fluid=$15 x 2
Total = $90 in fluids alone, I think $100 is a very decent deal.
I was just messing around with you bro, you dont need to get all bent out of shape. lol I didnt know you have to be a urban lumberjack mechanic to drain a few fluids and fill them back up.

Im confused. Are you implying that you paid $10 for them to do all the labor or it was $90 for the fluids plus $100 for labor.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Total $100 for fluids and labor combined.
Thats weird. I just called the local valvoline and asked them how much it would cost to service the transfer case and both differentials if I were to bring the transfer case fluid. They said it would be $99 per differential and that they would do the transfer case for free since I had the fluid and got both diffs. serviced. So thats a total of $198 for them to do it and that doesnt include the cost of the Mopar Transfer Case Fluid or air filter.

Something isnt adding up here.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very strange indeed, I can only post what deal I received. I mean really, what do I stand to gain? I do know they originally quoted me $140, and said it's $20 off for doing the whole 4WD service with them, and valvoline will give you a 15% off customer loyalty card as well that can be used at the time. Perhaps it's just a local thing...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called a local Valvoline and they said $59.99 per diff and free transfer case service if I bring the fluid and $20 off with their current promotion... Close to the deal I got. From what 07JeepXP says, this is clearly different in all locations, so disregard my original post, and back to digging for your best local deals! :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
...like the true urban lumberjack mechanic that you are.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: hahahaha.... That's a keeper...!:headbang2:

(No offense to 07JeepXK. The phrase was just funny!)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl: hahahaha.... That's a keeper...!:headbang2:

(No offense to 07JeepXK. The phrase was just funny!)
I must be ignorant. Im still trying to figure out what he meant by that.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Took the Commander to the Jeep dealer this afternoon--front, rear diffs and the transfer case was 207.70 material and labor. Granted, it is cheaper to do in the garage but I'm getting to old to lay on the floor under the Jeep.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What are the chances that a Nissan dealership actually had this servicing performed on my car before I bought it? When I was talking to the salesman he said they had their local Valvoline perform all the necessary Chrysler fluid changes on the vehicle after it was traded in. The vehicle was traded in with just under 34,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
What are the chances that a Nissan dealership actually had this servicing performed on my car before I bought it?
Slim to none.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well I just sent the dealership an e-mail asking them. I'm hoping that the previous owners had it done at 30,000 on time.

Is there anyway I'd be able to tell that the fluids were changed? I know I could just check the spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well I just sent the dealership an e-mail asking them. I'm hoping that the previous owners had it done at 30,000 on time.

Is there anyway I'd be able to tell that the fluids were changed? I know I could just check the spark plugs.
For tax and recording purposes, the dealership had to make a file on your vin#
That file will contain, among other things, every dime the dealer put into the vehicle relative to reconditioning.
I suspect you got an oil change and nothing more.
No dealer will perform mileage driven services.
The oil gets changed, fluid levels and tires get checked, any glaring deficiencies get addressed, give it a slap on the 1/4 panel and ship it.

So, you need to establish a starting point, a baseline of service if you will.
Even on the sliiiiiim chance additional services were performed, do them again to satisfy yourself the correct products have been used and the service done correctly.

This way you have documentation you can refer back to as mileage accrues and you can continue to keep on top of needed services.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work for a jeep dealer and i do 30k services everyday. The one thing that i notice needs to be done is the spark plugs. Jeep seems to go through them very fast. if you take off the air cleaner ever i strongly suggest cleaning out the trottle body as long as it is not drive by wire, some drive by wire have trouble with the cleaners.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
if you take off the air cleaner ever i strongly suggest cleaning out the trottle body as long as it is not drive by wire, some drive by wire have trouble with the cleaners.
What are you saying ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts