Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on my 30,000 mile service which along with tune-up includes front and rear diff serv, tranny oil change, and a few other things. It's about a six hundred buck service. What have other members done or would recommend in regards to what actually needs to be done at 30k miles to the commander?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I would since its the last big service during the factory warranty period. This way you can catch any major issues and have them fixed before the warranty runs out.

I'll do the basics (oil/filter, plugs, etc.) myself. I'll let the dealer work on the diffs and other things that require a lift to make access easier.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I did and the damned thing cost me $750... ouch... but I did it for the reasons stated - the last big check up before warranty runs out. I took the time to ask about an extended one and as long as I get it before my current warranty expires, I can get it for 2k. Ouch again. I think I'm going to NOT extend the warranty through them and look for an alternative.

·
Registered
346 Posts
did the same thing as rwmorrisonjr and PolarBZ for the same reasons, with the exception of battery terminal service and spark plugs - things I knew I could do - they wanted $30 to clean the terminals, insane. I'm coming up on 36k and have a short list of minor issues I'm going to have the dealer take a look at before warranty is gone.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I would do the sparkplugs myself and let them do the differentials and tranny oil.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Plugs aren't that hard to get to?

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you are NOT going with an extended warranty and since the 30k is close to the final mileage under warranty, I suggest that if you have the dealer do it, supply your own fluids and filters. Personally, I use all AMSOIL synthetic products and the life on them is FAR longer the DINO fluids. Thus, you might be able to NOT have to do the same things again at the next 30k miles. Does anyone know EXACTLY what it takes for automatic transmission fluid quantity. I have heard conflicting reports as to number of qts needed. Also, if the dealer changes the tranny fluid does anyone know if they just pump out the old and add new or remove the pan, change the filter, adjust the bands and then add new fluid (IMHO the correct way). john

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you can change your own oil you can do the diffs, there is no special lift required. I posted the procedure with pics some time ago. I agree with John, AMSOIL is the way to go. This is not just an opinion but research I've done on the durability of the products. Also if you do your own diffs you will be able to clean the metal particulate off the magnet (rear diff only). If the dealear does it they only suck the old fluid out. I was very glad i did my own... THe fluids are not cheap, by the time I bought everything (including the AMSOIL pump) I had the better part of $100 into the project. I will be doing the transfer case this summer, I'll post the info along with pictures as well. So far the only fluid I have found for the transfer case is the OEM stuff from the dealer, $30 / Qt, ouch... I even talked to AMSOIL tech support, the told me to use the OEM fluid.
I also agree with John on the trans, when its time to do mine I will have the filter changed and the bands adjusted.
As far as doing the work yourself, as long as its documented with pics and receipts I can't see voiding any warranty (but that's probably a discussion on its own...).
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
FYI, I just did most of the 30k service today. Wasn't hard, just time consuming. Didn't do the tranny & rear diff since I don't have the tranny flushing unti and the pinion seal on the rear diff is leaking, so that will get changed under warranty.

Definitely going to look for a place that rents lift bays so I can get the XK up in the air and not have to work on a creeper all the time. Heard of one out here, need to find it before the next service interval.

FYI, my dealer does a complete tranny service: full flush, filter cleaning and bands.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Went to the dealership a couple of says ago and they recommended the 30,000 mile service. They were gonna charge me $530. Which is still a good chunk of money. But I would go to the dealership since it is the last major service before the warranty runs out. I plan on going to the dealership next week to get it done.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Had my 30K service done on Monday. Everything except the sparkplugs. I guess I'll get to those thos weekend.

·
Registered
452 Posts
30K Maintenance Service

Has anyone brought in their XK for the 30K service at the dealership? If so, please let me know what services were done on that visit. Also, what did it cost you. I'm at 24K, so I do have a bit of time to work with. I'd like to know if it's worth letting them do it, or if I'll save a lot more doing it myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am also coming up on my 30,000 mile service. I know I can do some of the basic changes: oil & filter, air filter, and spark plugs; but I think I should definitely get the front & rear diffs, transfer case, and transmission services done at the dealer. I am going to stop by and see if I can customize the 30k service at the dealer or stop by a local shop.

I am thinking that I should definitely to the dealership since it is the last major service before the warranty runs out, but obviously money comes into play (From other posts, it looks like it is between $530 and $900 for the complete service). My dealer also sent me an email coupon for Mopar wiper blades, oil change, 16 point check up, plus 10% of repairs for 29.99 (obviously will be a little more because I have a V8) but I think I may start there and then move on to the 30K. With the wipers and the check up it is almost as cheap as doing the oil change myself.

I just wanted to get your thoughts first so I can be a little more educated when going in for the check up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would since its the last big service during the factory warranty period. This way you can catch any major issues and have them fixed before the warranty runs out.

I'll do the basics (oil/filter, plugs, etc.) myself. I'll let the dealer work on the diffs and other things that require a lift to make access easier.
+1 :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the transmission even due at 30,000? I thought the manual even recommended 60,000 or something. Can anyone verify? I had one dealer tell me 30,000 and another tell me 60,000 so it would be nice to know for certain. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
beside your normal 3,000 mile interval service the 30K is front and rear axle fluid, transfer case fluid, and spark plugs. I did most of my 30K yesterday, but realized that I need the Mopar 245/247 gear oil for the t-case. I am would rather spend less money and do the change myself so I did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im about to hit the 30,000 mile mark, but after reading the manual the only thing they say to do is change the top row spark plugs on the 4.7. The auto trans and transfer case fluid is suppose to be done at 60,000 or so the manual says. Should this be done at 30,000 or 60,000?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
FYI, I just did most of the 30k service today. Wasn't hard, just time consuming. Didn't do the tranny & rear diff since I don't have the tranny flushing unti and the pinion seal on the rear diff is leaking, so that will get changed under warranty.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/usl6000.php
Definitely going to look for a place that rents lift bays so I can get the XK up in the air and not have to work on a creeper all the time. Heard of one out here, need to find it before the next service interval.

FYI, my dealer does a complete tranny service: full flush, filter cleaning and bands.
Hey rwmorrisonjr, do yo have a garage? If so, look into one of these. We have 4 of these at work,in addition to a full size conventional lift .We have a different brand , but the same basic thing. These are great for routine maintenance or bigger jobs also. They lay down pretty flat so you can drive right over them. I use them all the time for oil changes in the Hyundai and Jeep and just used it to do the lift kit. And they are pretty inexpensive when you think about how much you can use it. Even if you dont have a garage, they are moveable, so you may be able to store it out of the way somewhere, if not to heavy. Sorry I forgot post

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Hey rwmorrisonjr, do yo have a garage? If so, look into one of these. We have 4 of these at work,in addition to a full size conventional lift .We have a different brand , but the same basic thing. These are great for routine maintenance or bigger jobs also. They lay down pretty flat so you can drive right over them. I use them all the time for oil changes in the Hyundai and Jeep and just used it to do the lift kit. And they are pretty inexpensive when you think about how much you can use it. Even if you dont have a garage, they are moveable, so you may be able to store it out of the way somewhere, if not to heavy.
What are we supposed to "look into". I don't see a pic or link.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts