Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 4x4 Hemi limited is coming up on 30,000 miles. just wondering if anyone has had the service done, and how much it ended up costing them. i know this one wont be cheap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did it. It was $660. I told my wife to start driving her own car more.;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gawd, I just have 600 miles on my Hemi Powered Overland. I guess I better start saving right now. Beginning next Wednesday we are leaving on a trip that will add 4,000 more miles to the odometer.
Along those lines, I am in a quandry. I have the oil and filter (Amsoil synthetic) on hand. Should I change it before I leave (with only 600 miles) or wait halfway through our trip and have it done around 2,600 miles? john

·
Registered
184 Posts
HeavyRotation said:
i was just told $950 for the Hemi
I could have sworn my service center quoted me $150.00 for the 30K "4 wheel drive" service (his words not mine). I need to get that done but my word, if it really is $600 to $900, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
John said:
Gawd, I just have 600 miles on my Hemi Powered Overland. I guess I better start saving right now. Beginning next Wednesday we are leaving on a trip that will add 4,000 more miles to the odometer.
Along those lines, I am in a quandry. I have the oil and filter (Amsoil synthetic) on hand. Should I change it before I leave (with only 600 miles) or wait halfway through our trip and have it done around 2,600 miles? john
I would just change it when you get back from your 4000 mile trip. 4600 miles isn't out of range for an oil change in my opinion. I'm sure others would argue otherwise. I do my changes @ 5000 miles (which works out to be about once a month at the rate I put miles on) and the oil is still very clean.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So, are you saying the initial oil fill is regular Dino oil sufficient for long high speed travel? ( I anticipate I will run about 75mph during most of the trip). john

·
Registered
527 Posts
John said:
Hey John, thats a tough one. I normally do a 1000 mile change with dead dino juice and then switch to Synthetic at 3000 miles. I'd say if it is all highway, teh 2600 is a great way to use that original oil, then switch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
John said:
So, are you saying the initial oil fill is regular Dino oil sufficient for long high speed travel? ( I anticipate I will run about 75mph during most of the trip). john
No offense to you "synthetic" oil fans but I don't think you guys put enough faith in the quality of the "dinosaur" oil. :)

As long as you feel that your new engine has been broken in properly, then yes I still think you would be fine (I went 1000 miles before I considered mine "broken in" which is a bit overboard I'm sure). Maybe if your not comfortable with dino oil you could check it at 3000 miles and if don't like the looks of it, go for the switch over. I just wouldn't want to have to do an oil change while traveling without my proper tools and what not...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
olllllllo said:
I could have sworn my service center quoted me $150.00 for the 30K "4 wheel drive" service (his words not mine). I need to get that done but my word, if it really is $600 to $900, I'll do it myself.

That $150 is per axel at my dealership. Then you have all the other recommended services. Oil & air filters throttle body cleaning Injector cleaning rotate tires etc. Could easily add up to $900.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Guess I am going to have to do a lot of that work myself. No way am I paying $900 for all that. I probably will have to pay for a tuneup though. Never even owned a vehicle before with 16 spark plugs, so that would be all new to me. john

·
Registered
4 Posts
30K Service

I was just quoted $1,000 for the 30K service on my 2006 Commander Hemi and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions / alternatives?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Re: 30K Service

Find a local shop to do your axels. Mine quoted me 60 per and I supply the fulids (70-75) You can split the service into two different visits. Also have the local shop do your oil and air filter. I was charged $13 for the dealer to change my air filter, They have to remove if to see if it needs to be changed. A rip.

I am not sure what they do to clean the injectors Do the physically clean someparts of just dump in a can of cleaner.

I have had 4X4s for 20 years and changed axel fulids every couple of years. I do some off raoding but not the extreme type. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Re: 30K Service

dlucky1 said:
I was just quoted $1,000 for the 30K service on my 2006 Commander Hemi and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions / alternatives?
Good Lord, I think that was more than I paid for the maintenance contract.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I called my dealer for a quote for the 30,000 mile check. I have an advisor assigned to me. During our conversation, I asked him if there would be a price difference on the QDII axles. I heard him scream to another advisor - "What is QDII?" At that moment, I decided to take it to my local independent Goodyear shop. Dealer quoted me minimum 600.00 - they want 300.00 just to change the plugs!:grim: Here is my dilema. The owners manual says both axles take Mopar Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or eqivalent with friction modifier additive. The manual does not break it down between QDII and the standard axles, so they both must take the same. The Goodyear shop called my dealer and gave them my VIN number and they told him to add the friction modifier to the back axle, but not the front. Do I need to take it back on Monday and have them add the friction modifier to the front axle? Thanks for listening. Oh, the total bill was $323.12, and they balanced/rotated tires!:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, you need to add it to the front axle too if you have QDII.

I just did this entire service (PCV, axles, transfer case, plugs, oil & filter, air filter, etc) for under $200. Our Chrysler dealership here wants around $1,000 for the service. So I saved myself about $800. It wasn't that hard either ... well the 16 spark plugs were ROUGH, but I got 'er done.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Check and see if you guys can find a mechanic from the dealer that will do the service on the side. One of my co-workers used to work at the dealer and he referred a Jeep mechanic to me. He said to do the tranny, transfer case , and both axles, $200 with him supplying all fluids. I had the srevice done today by a friend tat ownes a transmission shop. we are trading work so I didn't have to pay anything, yet.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That's what I'm going to do, I'm 5k out from the 60k service, going to do it all myself since its mostly fluid changes. The only thing I'll not do is the transmission & coolant flush, I'll let a shop or dealer do those.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know on the Hemi all the service can be done easily, especially the fluid cahnges. The transfer case, axels are as easy changing the oil. The transmission pan is readily accessible and is easily dropped. The commander is truly an easy vehicle to work on. I recently got a copy of a complete repair manual on ebay for $20, shows in detail how to do the repairs and maintainance. It's easy to drop it off at the dealer but way more expensive. Think of all the goodies you can buy with the money you save.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts