Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I live in the Houston area and am ready for my 30k service. All the dealers in town are giving me estimates of $700 - $800 to perform the service minus the spark plugs (did them myself) and the air filter (have CAI). Is this reasonable? Seems high to me for what would amount to a fluids change. Does anyone know a place in the Houston area that is more reasonable than this? I am willing to shell out the bucks, but don't want to get burned.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I think you should do it in your garage and pay yourself $200 for parts (synthetic fluid) plus $300 for labor. You'll save $200-300 off that dealer price :).

Really though, if you can do spark plugs you can definitely do some drain-and-fill action. Search some of the maintenance threads here and you will find instructions, tips, and pictures. I just did mine and it took longer to buy the fluids at the parts store than it did to do the service. It's that easy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I will search some of the threads.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sal,

Jiffy was running a deal this weekend. Do FRT and RR diff changes and transfer case is done for free. That plus oil / filter change ran me around $180. I double and triple checked that they were using the right lubes etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fully agree. I already changed the plugs, cleaned the throttle body and CAI filter about 200 miles ago. Would have done lube change myself, but given the 100 degree heat we have down here I wasn't too exicted about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts