Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
265/70R17 = 31.7-31.9 inches tall depending on the tire.

I have yet to see a forum member running either 265/70R17's or 255/75R17's and not have to bend over the pinch weld and either trim or re mold the inner plastic fender well.
I think this has a lot to do with the many variations on tire styles. For example, my previous set of tires that were 265/70R17's and they fit without rubbing on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers but they were an all terrain tire. Now, my current tire which is a mud terrain would not even turn without bending the weld and molding the liners because the shoulders of the tires are much MUCH wider. As I said, that is with stock wheels and the spacers. When it comes to having different wheels and offsets I trust your opinion since I know you know your stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It looks like your old Kumho Road Venture AT's were on the smaller side. Tirerack.com list them as being 31.6 inches tall. Plus like you said, since they were an all terrain tire and didnt have the tread on the shoulder like your new MT's it makes a big difference. I could have swore you had rubbing with your old tires though. Especially at RC.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It looks like your old Kumho Road Venture AT's were on the smaller side. Tirerack.com list them as being 31.6 inches tall. Plus like you said, since they were an all terrain tire and didnt have the tread on the shoulder like your new MT's it makes a big difference. I could have swore you had rubbing with your old tires though. Especially at RC.
I didn't have a clearance issue with the old AT tires. They did rub a little but that was because the liners in the wheel wells were loose. They cleared the pinch weld fine but only by a hair.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks to everyone on all your info so far. After hearing what you guys had to say and doing a little more research, I want to go with 275/65/18's. Check out my thread I just posted in wheels/tires called finally decided. Let me know what you guys think about this settup and I need some help with choosing the right offset. Thanks again

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just FYI:
Today I test fit a 17x8.5 MB Warrior wheel with a +25 offset. I mounted a Goodyear Duratrac 285/70-17.

Result: Very little trimming of the inner fender lip and little "massaging" of the pinch weld and of course slight reforming of the plastic was needed to not rub.

8-8.5 wide wheels with a +25 offset would be ideal for the XK to allow the largest tire possible without major body/fenderwell/pinchweld mods.
Seems the stock wheels with the spacers are "pushing" the wheels out so far that it limits tire sizing. Notice how the AEV wheels for the WK and XK are +25mm offset also.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Greetings XK'ers:

Storm your rig looks great, very sharp man.

For the past 8,000 miles I have been running stock wheels with LT275/55/17R BF Goodrich MT's without spacers and the RC 2" lift on my '07. Every day driving/mall crawling- no rubbing. But if I'm off road or in a position where there is some articulation at full lock(left or right)- I get a little rub on the inside.

I have 1.25 spacers in hand- I'm going to try them out but I get the feeling I will end up joining the pound the pinch weld club soon after.

Happy Holidays

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just FYI:
Today I test fit a 17x8.5 MB Warrior wheel with a +25 offset. I mounted a Goodyear Duratrac 285/70-17.

Result: Very little trimming of the inner fender lip and little "massaging" of the pinch weld and of course slight reforming of the plastic was needed to not rub.

8-8.5 wide wheels with a +25 offset would be ideal for the XK to allow the largest tire possible without major body/fenderwell/pinchweld mods.
Seems the stock wheels with the spacers are "pushing" the wheels out so far that it limits tire sizing. Notice how the AEV wheels for the WK and XK are +25mm offset also.
But if you were to take the vehicle off road it would be a different story. Im sure you would have crazy rubbing everywhere since your only running a 2 inch lift.

FYI: I just did the calculations and my tire package (265/70R17 on stock wheels with 1.25 inch spacers) and it only sits out 0.1 inches further then that package you described (285/70R17 on 8.5 inch wheels with +25mm offset)

I would have had crazy rubbing with my tires if I hadnt bent over the pinch weld and re molded the plastic inner fender well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Greetings XK'ers:

Storm your rig looks great, very sharp man.

For the past 8,000 miles I have been running stock wheels with LT275/55/17R BF Goodrich MT's without spacers and the RC 2" lift on my '07. Every day driving/mall crawling- no rubbing. But if I'm off road or in a position where there is some articulation at full lock(left or right)- I get a little rub on the inside.

I have 1.25 spacers in hand- I'm going to try them out but I get the feeling I will end up joining the pound the pinch weld club soon after.
Happy Holidays
Thank you!
I think if you ditch the spacers and pick up those AEV's that are on special(+25 offset, or wheels similar in dimensions), you won't have any pinch weld problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
275/65/18 will fit ? I have 2.5” front and 2”rear leveling kit with 1.5” spacer anyone has this setup
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am Running with 265/65R18 or 265/70R17 on the original rims. All with +30mm offset. Also I’ve installed 2” lift with spacers in front and 2,5” spacers in the rear. So, this tire size is max for this lift. Even with this mod you’ll get issues on the front wheels. If turning all in to left/right, the outer edge of the front tires will rub on the plastic of the wheelhousing.

If you go even higher you might not have this issue.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts