Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 4.7 with 180K+ miles. All is good for now but, I would like to know where I am going to go when the unmentionable happens to my motor. I would like to swap in another 4.7 from a newer commander when the need arises. I have searched the forum and have found mention of this many times but no real answers. I know the block will be a direct bolt on and I'm pretty sure the electronics are the same.
will the newer 4.7 engines cooperate with the older computer?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have an 07 4.7 with 180K+ miles. All is good for now but, I would like to know where I am going to go when the unmentionable happens to my motor. I would like to swap in another 4.7 from a newer commander when the need arises. I have searched the forum and have found mention of this many times but no real answers. I know the block will be a direct bolt on and I'm pretty sure the electronics are the same.
will the newer 4.7 engines cooperate with the older computer?
That's a good question Doug, unfortunately I'm not 100% sure of the answer. I can tell you that the 4.7L changed quite a bit from 07 to 08 with a new re-designed intake and an extra spark plug per cylinder so at the very least I would say the ECU will need to be reprogrammed if not replaced altogether.

I'm sure there are a few members around, that can probably give you a better answer than mine, just thought I'd share with you the little bit I do know on the subject.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts