Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellow Jeepers, here's the question thats been weighing on my mind heavely for the last few days! Converting my 4.7L into a ground pounding, tree pulling, get any ford-chevy-hummer outta any whole, Deisel! I know they make Commanders with deisels over seas and I know its been done in the states! Question is where to start? Who's done it? How much did it set you back? Which Deiesel engine? And the million dollar question...is it better left as a dream?!? :thumbsup:

·
1,993 Posts
Anything is possible! You'll need to seak out a good performance shop or any off road shop that's done them to wranglers already. Then they'll know all the ins and outs with regulations and stuff like that as well. It will be expensive for sure a new diesel motor is probably around $6K I would think maybe more. Also if you bump up the torque to mush you'll have driveline issues to deal with.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Leave it be as a dream.

I think you can do other things to make it a more robust off-roader and Hummer-recovery machine.

Lift, tires, winch, rock rails, under armor to name a few.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok fellow Jeepers, here's the question thats been weighing on my mind heavely for the last few days! Converting my 4.7L into a ground pounding, tree pulling, get any ford-chevy-hummer outta any whole, Deisel! I know they make Commanders with deisels over seas and I know its been done in the states! Question is where to start? Who's done it? How much did it set you back? Which Deiesel engine? And the million dollar question...is it better left as a dream?!? :thumbsup:

Don't let these guys wreck your dreams. If you want to do it and have the money, anything is possible! I personally would Swap in a Cummins 4BT, 400+ lb ft of tq, and should see 27 to 30 mpg on the highway. Fuel Delivery, engine mounting, transmission swap (I'd run the 48RE), Engine Management are the keys you'd have to address. A guy that's got experience welding, wiring, and some ambition could do this swap. They are not uncommon to see 4bt/cummins 24V swaps in vehicles, articles are everywhere!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts