Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my '08 Commander since April - so far, added Curt aftermarket hitch and T-connector for trailer lights. (less than one hour total to install both) Looking for roof rack cross rails - may end up buying from dealer, as ebay always ends up more than the $141 for new.

I have the 4.7 FlexFuel engine, and am wondering what experiences others have had using ethanol fuel. Specifically am interested in: gas mileage? overall performance? anyone towing with it?

I'm fairly new to the Forum, so if this belongs in another group of threads, let me know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have never used E85 in my Commander but I heard that your gas mileage will decrease by approx 20% when using it (I think even the owners manual states this). Also when I was in Maryland E85 was a little more expensive then 87 Octane so I couldnt justify using it. I have yet to find a place in NY that sells it so im not sure what the price difference is here.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I don't have the flex fuel but in theory for towing and off road it would be better to keep the engine cool and make a little more power. Because alcohol has a lower ignition temperature than regular gas it will ignite easier and keep overall engine cooler. The MPG will suffer, no doubt about it.

·
2,248 Posts
I used it a few times up in Indiana where it is available. I did not notice any difference in power and I usually do not pay much attention to milage. I got the dual fuel 4.7 thinking it might come to less availability of gas in the future. I thought it was a resonable option to have the backup of E-85 use.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't know about anywhere else, but here in Florida all our gas has up to 10% ethanol. Other than that, I haven't gone the E85 route as availability is limited down here and to my knowledge is only available in Miami.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Don't know about anywhere else, but here in Florida all our gas has up to 10% ethanol. Other than that, I haven't gone the E85 route as availability is limited down here and to my knowledge is only available in Miami.
I think regular gas has 10% ethanol at almost all gas stations.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
any fuel with more than 7% ethanol are required to post it on the pump but some regular fuel can contain as much as 15%. They cannot put too much in because a vehicle that runs on E-85 requires more fuel injected than regular gas. I am not sure how the flex fuel manages to use both, unless there is a sensor that tells what fuel is in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure you read the owners manual concerning the mixing of the two. For example if you have 3/4 of a tank of reg. gas don't add E 85 for the remaining 1/4. E85 is available an hour from me. I used it 4 or 5 tanks. For me it was 15-20 cents cheaper than reg. but milage for me was more like a 30% loss. So I've been sticking with the Reg. gas for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the respones. Owner's Manual says to expect 30% less fuel efficiency. There aren't many stations around me, and the one I saw in Boston when traveling for work was a full dollar cheaper per gallon than 87 octane. The closest station to me is not real convenient - would be 3 miles each way out of my normal routes to try it. When I do, I'll post an update with the outcome.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hey Cleveland where are you getting your ethanol? The only station I am aware of on the west side is in Oberlin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
89 octane (10% ethanol) = 12.2 mpg E-85 = 9.6 mpg Not worth the cost differential until the spread is at least 70 cents per gallon. Better power off the line on E-85 (makes sense). I did get some funny messages from the computer each and every time I switched from regular to E-85 (like 4 wheel system failure warning). did mileage comparo over 5 consecutive tanks of each.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I have the 4.7 Flex but have not used the E85- It is not available anywhere near here, but they are building a "refinery" of sorts approx. 15 miles away. I spoke with a fella who ran it in his car who stated his mileage dropped more than 30%, and that for E85 to be cost effective, gas would have to hit $5 per gallon vs approx. $3 per gallon for the E85. I'm not sure how accurate he is but I pretty much understood his meaning.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have the 4.7 Flex but have not used the E85- It is not available anywhere near here, but they are building a "refinery" of sorts approx. 15 miles away. I spoke with a fella who ran it in his car who stated his mileage dropped more than 30%, and that for E85 to be cost effective, gas would have to hit $5 per gallon vs approx. $3 per gallon for the E85. I'm not sure how accurate he is but I pretty much understood his meaning.
That sounds about right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts